Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

The third Borderlands game, set between the events of Borderlands and Borderlands 2, follows a quartet of familiar faces as they work to bring Handsome Jack into power through misadventures on Elpis, the moon of Pandora.

If you're considering buying this on PS3, don't.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm usually not the most sensitive person in the world when it comes to frame-rate issues, but holy hell this game is borderline unplayable!

I spent about three hours in split screen and it was never once stable. I'm talking 15-20 FPS on average. I actually can't believe this got past certification.

I'm not sure if the 360 version suffers the same fate, but I'm going to try my best to switch it over.

Just a heads up to any potential buyers

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Did you only play in split-screen? I'd think that single player would be better, not that frame rates like that in split-screen are acceptable.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Did you only play in split-screen? I'd think that single player would be better, not that frame rates like that in split-screen are acceptable.

This. Games in the HD era aren't optimised for split-screen gameplay and oftentimes it feels like developers include it to avoid pissing people off. That being said, Borderlands 2 chugged on both the 360 and the PS3 in singleplayer.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just fired up single player and it seems to play fine other than some hitching when entering new areas

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really unfortunate, especially when there's no PS4 or Xbox One versions of the game. I'm sure the PC version is fine, as those are wont to be, but I'm not gonna play this now. I probably wasn't going to anyway (not because of the game, because I've moved on to PS4), but I have zero interest in playing a frame-y mess version. Okay, frame-y mess is probably harsh, but you get what I mean.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Borderlands 2 on PS3 was kind of a travesty as well. Playing it online would also actually cripple the framerate annoyingly enough, and some the Torque dlc pack literally ran at like 20fps at most, so I'm not surprised hear the Pre-Sequel isn't stellar. I know you're specifically referring to split-screen play, but I'd also gather it isn't that much of an improvement with one screen.

@mooseymcman said:

This. Games in the HD era aren't optimised for split-screen gameplay

Unless you're Gears of War apparently. From the beginning right up to Judgment, those games always ran at a steady framerate even in split-screen. Well, cutscenes were a little dicey but nothing too bad.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Not that low frame rate cut-scenes are fun to watch, but if one part of your game is going to run poorly, that's the least bad one, if you want good game play.

And yeah, I had forgotten about those. I only ever played the first two split screen, but I don't remember having any problems with it.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @impartialgecko said:

@mooseymcman said:

Unless you're Gears of War apparently. From the beginning right up to Judgment, those games always ran at a steady framerate even in split-screen. Well, cutscenes were a little dicey but nothing too bad.

Yeah, there are plenty of games that run fine in split screen. The Kane and Lynch games were fine, the Army of Two series was fine, Resident Evil 5 and 6 ran great, and a bunch of others as well. Sure, sometimes games didn't handle it well, but that was closer to an exception than a rule.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:
    @yummylee said:
    @impartialgecko said:

@mooseymcman said:

Yeah, there are plenty of games that run fine in split screen. The Kane and Lynch games were fine, the Army of Two series was fine, Resident Evil 5 and 6 ran great, and a bunch of others as well. Sure, sometimes games didn't handle it well, but that was closer to an exception than a rule.

Eh, I dunno that I would say RE5 ran great. I remember some frame rate stuff even in single player. And more so in split screen.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@yummylee: Strange, because I recently played through all three Gears games with my housemate split-screen and the core trilogy all had framerate issues. Granted they were WAY better performance-wise than most split-screen offerings but they were still dicey. I heard Judgment had fewer set-pieces, so maybe that explains it.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Halo and Call of Duty games always had a great framerate in 4 player splitscreen. Also I started playing Borderlands 2 on my gaming pc, and it even though I have it on the lowest settings, the game still chugs sometimes. It sucks.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impartialgecko: Maybe I'm misremembering, but from my own experience I thought those games were great in split-screen. It wasn't that long that I lasted played 'em, either.

@mooseymcman: RE5 in split-screen on PS3 is kinda rotten, but I would assume it's much more manageable on 360?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I played the 360 version. For whatever reason, I ended up playing both that and RE6 on 360. I think it may have been reading about the frame rate in both cases, actually.

I mean, it was far from unplayable, but it stuck out to me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: I dunno about split-screen, but RE6's framerate on PS3 is alright surprisingly enough. It runs much better than RE5 does on PS3 at the very least.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Well, it's good that game got something right.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Strangestories

Weird. I'm playing it split screen and it's been a pretty steady 30. It's dipped to 20 maybe twice so far after 3 hours. It actually feels better than Borderlands 2.

Edit: Yeah, just got through a big firefight with both me and my partner using lasers and it wasn't bad at all. Definitely didn't go below 20.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Welp good to know. If I buy it, will be on PC then. Probably would have been anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.