Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

The third Borderlands game, set between the events of Borderlands and Borderlands 2, follows a quartet of familiar faces as they work to bring Handsome Jack into power through misadventures on Elpis, the moon of Pandora.

My little big problem with The Pre-Sequel

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By VannaDwight

MOONSTONE CHESTS!

I have typically seen these around a boss, they cost 40 moonstones to open and there is no prompt of "Are you sure you want to spend these moonstones". I have been trying to save moonstones in order to fully upgrade my ammo and backpack capacities before I do anything else with them but these chests are sneaky and have been stealing them. As a big Borderlands fan I feel like I have been trained to run up to any and every chest and hammer on the "X" button so that everything opens, so it kind of sucks when they throw one of these chests at you and you lose a chunk of your savings.

Rant over, those chest frustrate me.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

The game seems way more generous with moonstone than 2 did with eridium. I've never really had much trouble with these, as they seem pretty clearly marked, but I can understand getting into that "gotta open them all" mentality.

Oh, pro-tip - going back to early levels and opening moonstone chests does not net you gear near your level. I was curious about that, so I checked.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By splodge

You will generally get a hell of a lot of moonstone. I am on my second playthrough and I always have about 50 moonstone around. If i spend it all, after a couple of hours I have most of it back.

But yes, I think there should be a prompt telling you what you are about to do. To me, the most frustrating thing is when I have 39 moonstone and cant open it! If you are one away, it would be nice if you could "owe" it.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge: @sparky_buzzsaw: I agree, they are a lot more loose with the moonstone compared to Eridium.

I didn't realize there was the same issue with the golden chest at launch of B2. That being said the Golden key chest is a bit easier to realize it is a special thing as it is in the middle of Sanctuary. These moonstone chests are loose in the wild, in a place a normal weapons chest may be. It is not a huge issue, just some frustration about how you save the moonstone, then accidentally spend them. Kind of the same feeling I have when I accidentally buy a "Bank Upgrade"

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You will get used to the colour of the moonstone chest. It's the only one that is that greyish blue. I get excited when I see them now :) I got a legendary grenade from one, and a pretty badass sub machine gun with 200% accuracy that freezes chumps.

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dwigtk said:

MOONSTONE CHESTS!

I have typically seen these around a boss, they cost 40 moonstones to open and there is no prompt of "Are you sure you want to spend these moonstones". I have been trying to save moonstones in order to fully upgrade my ammo and backpack capacities before I do anything else with them but these chests are sneaky and have been stealing them. As a big Borderlands fan I feel like I have been trained to run up to any and every chest and hammer on the "X" button so that everything opens, so it kind of sucks when they throw one of these chests at you and you lose a chunk of your savings.

Rant over, those chest frustrate me.

is that why whenever i look at my moonstone count im always lower by 20-30?!?!?! god damn.

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that would make the whole system so much better, is if the moonstones were picked up automatically the same way that the cash is when you kill an enemy. i find myself just running over some and past some most of the time because i couldn't be bothered to stop for one single moonstone, it really cuts out of the movement of the gameplay i find, because im so used to just running over everything

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

Wow, didn't even realize these exist. I wonder how many I've opened without realizing it. I feel like I've been finding a ton of Moonstone everywhere though so it's not a huge deal for me.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VannaDwight

@brownsfantb: Probably one per named boss you have encountered. I know for sure there was one before Red Belly and one after Bosun.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Huh.... I wonder if that's why I'm seemingly losing Moonstones... however it seems once I get up to 50 moonstones it resets itself down to 10 or so. To my knowledge I've only run into one of these moonstone chests. Two technically but the second one I couldn't open because I apparently spent all my moonstones on the first one. This was during the "find the AI" mission.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Memu

I lost some stones at the beginning before I noticed this. After that I was careful.

Something I find that is really annoying me now is that you don't just pick up all resources automatically. Like if I am near to an OPEN container that has stuff I need, just grab it, don't make me aim directly at it and hit USE (and hold for a half second) to get the stuff out. That half second can be the difference between life and death. And it just doesn't seem necessary.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@memu said:

I lost some stones at the beginning before I noticed this. After that I was careful.

Something I find that is really annoying me now is that you don't just pick up all resources automatically. Like if I am near to an OPEN container that has stuff I need, just grab it, don't make me aim directly at it and hit USE (and hold for a half second) to get the stuff out. That half second can be the difference between life and death. And it just doesn't seem necessary.

Yeah, it's little things like this that I really hope get tweaked in Borderlands 3. With each iteration in the franchise I keep having the feeling that they're ignoring relatively minor game play changes in favour of big, splashy PR campaign moves & it's not necessarily improving things.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see your issue, but I'm guessing they're there for late game players who have already upgraded everything. They look pretty different than other chests, so just be a little more careful.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess you won't really notice if you never run into one without having enough moonstones. When I first started playing the game I always spent all my moonstones (as you should?) on ammo, so when I ran into the first moonchest I didn't have enough. After that I just payed attention any time I found one of those big flat chests, and they're pretty rare in general. After having played the game quite a lot though, my bigger complaint about them is that they seem to very heavily favor pistols. I've probably opened over a dozen and I'd say only one or two did not have pistols in it.

Also, as a sidenote, opening every container is not really how you want to play Borderlands. Maybe I've just spent too much time with these games, but once you can recognize the different types of containers you're better off ignoring most of them.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The comparison isn't the golden chest but the eridium chests in the Tina DLC.

And yes, it has happened to me yesterday. I got back to Concordia or whatever its called after the Bodom or whatever he's called battle and had all of 6 moonstones on me. Then it dawned on me that the chests with the useless level 12 purple gear on my level 14, post boss level 15, toon used up all my stones.

I guess I'll know next time. Then again, what do these chests look like anyways? At least in the tina DLC they had the glowy things on top and you got asked how much you want to bet.

p.s. do bosses ever drop useful loot. Or do their 'splosions spread it so far I don't see it?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haniball: it's the really low profile and wide chests with a circle unlocking mechanism in the middle. I beleive it's the blue ones that takes moonstone.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

It's absolutely a valid complaint, but there's an exploit where you start a new game and then back out at the character creator screen then load up your character and get 30 free moonstone. For now, that will help counter this issue. Until they fix it. It's a bit cheaty, but it's the kind of exploit I don't mind. Doesn't break the game at all.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Success! They threw a moonstone chest at me last night but I noticed it this time. I immediately fast traveled to Concordia and spent them all just in case.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By OldManLight

@mb said:

Similar to the Golden Chest complaints about Borderlands 2 from two years ago.

my thoughts exactly, they eventually patched in a double dare text. The problem with the moon stone chest is they're out in the wild and can easily be mistaken for just another chest. I foresee a comfirmation prompt coming in a future patch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.