Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Best path for a hunter

walls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By walls

I just hit level 6 on my hunter and I've been looking over the skill tree paths. All three look great, I really love the Bloodwing but I don't want to really solely on that one skill. Has anyone found one skill path better than the others? 

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By William

Just go with whatever you want.  You can reset your skill tree using one of those name changing things.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

From what I've seen, going with sniper damage and bloodwing seems to be the best route.  I haven't played much with Mordecai's skill tree, though, as I'm still working on Brick.  If I had to say what seems like a good spec, I'd say this:  http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11550000050505055050500 

This spec would give you maximum damage with sniper rifles while also offering Bloodwing as a quick way to daze enemies and slow them down.  You would also have your increased melee damage for the few that actually make it to you as well. 

At least, that's what I think purely based on what the skill tree says.  Once I actually put some time into Mordecai, I'll be able to judge this a bit better. 

@William said: 

" Just go with whatever you want.  You can reset your skill tree using one of those name changing things. "

That's 5k every time.  Frankly, wasting 5k in the game (regardless of how easy money is to make at later levels) vs. spec'ing on a website for free...  I know which one I'll choose.    
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ArchScabby
    @William said:
    " Just go with whatever you want.  You can reset your skill tree using one of those name changing things. "
    so it doesn't cost you anything to to do that?  You get all your skill points back to put wherever you want?  Have you done it before, because it seems kinda weird that they would let you just reset everything for free.
    Chazman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Chazman

I went with rouge all the way down maxing out everything but the looting ones, and then used what was left went into gunslinger, but i did max out the accuracy. now all i ise is revolvers and snipers and it's like 4 hits and they are down.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By William
    @ArchScabby: 
    It costs a little bit of money, not much though.

Yeah you get all your skill points back.

edit: Just checked, it costs me 7900 as a lvl 41 soldier. That's nothing. I have 1.5 mil.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I've been playing going GunSlinger since the begining. I use Sniper Rifles, but I've found you get into close combat way too much to rely exlcuively on them even if they can do some nasty damage at short range. Some snipers have incredibly low reload times and their ammo capacity isn't great either. GunSlinger offers great buffs upon kill which both restore you health and allow you to do additional damage. I've been playing since around level 10 with a revolver and it has gotten me all the way to level 27 without much of a problem.
    Avatar image for carolinafan3515
    CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CarolinaFan3515
    @walls said:
    " I just hit level 6 on my hunter and I've been looking over the skill tree paths. All three look great, I really love the Bloodwing but I don't want to really solely on that one skill. Has anyone found one skill path better than the others?  "
    Diversify, my man, diversify!  I'm currently a level 21 hunter and I've put points into all three branches.  I guess I've  invested more into the Sniper bracket, but just so I could earn more experience and have greater magazine clips / do more damage with the sniper.  Working out well so far for me.  I want to start investing a little more in Bloodwing damage and health regen though.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hatking

I'm either lvl 19 or 20 and I've been spreading them just to what I use the most.  I have probably put most of my points in the Bloodwing, I use it as sort of a tool to get me out of bad situations, it can usually knock a strong enemy's health a large chunk... and will kill normal or weak enemies.  I also got the critical hit damage maxed out because there is nothing as satisfying as putting down a higher level enemy who's charging at you because you placed your revolver round right between their eyes.   

Best advice I can give is to just look at the bonuses and choose what you think will be best for you, your snipers aren't going to be useless because you don't max out their damage, and your pistols aren't going to be useless because you don't fire two rounds every time you pull the trigger... it is all just bonuses and they make the game easier/funner, choose what interests you. 

On a side note I do hope they eventually raise the level cap.... I would like to have a super-overpowered character and I think if you are willing to play through the full game twice and any expansions they release you deserve it.
    thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thejamster

i think i would spec him this way because i want to snipe but be able to fall back on other weapon types so i chose general damage increases and bloodwing skills 

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11500500050505025005503    

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Aounslaught

One of the best things about the Hunter is that if you go straight down the Sniper skill tree and max out Trespass, you have a 100% of penetrating shields, essentially rendering everyone's shields useless. Another awesome thing is Bloodwing. Unlike the other action skills, you can totally spam Bloodwing like none other, which is pretty useful seeing as how he can make enemies drop more loot and get you 35% of your health back each time it attacks. I'm a Level 38 Hunter right now, but this is basically how my skill tree will look like by the end - 

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11050505532055055000000

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PureRok

This is the one I'm going for. I find the bird completely crap and never use it.

No Caption Provided
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @PureRok said:
    " This is the one I'm going for. I find the bird completely crap and never use it.

No Caption Provided
    "
    Umm why did you max out the skill that makes blood wing do more damage then. and the skill smirk is useless if your level 50 unless you play coop alot and really like helping your friends level 
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PureRok
    @ZombieHunter said:

" @PureRok said:

" This is the one I'm going for. I find the bird completely crap and never use it.

No Caption Provided
    "
    Umm why did you max out the skill that makes blood wing do more damage then. and the skill smirk is useless if your level 50 unless you play coop alot and really like helping your friends level  "
    I don't play Coop, and I max out the damn bird to get the skill right below it that gives you something around 25% faster reload times.

Edit: Also, the skill Smirk is not useless. If you max it out at low level (as I did) then it helps you a lot. There's more to the game than the end game.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @PureRok said:

" @ZombieHunter said:

" @PureRok said:

No Caption Provided
    "
    Umm why did you max out the skill that makes blood wing do more damage then. and the skill smirk is useless if your level 50 unless you play coop alot and really like helping your friends level  "
    I don't play Coop, and I max out the damn bird to get the skill right below it that gives you something around 25% faster reload times.  Edit: Also, the skill Smirk is not useless. If you max it out at low level (as I did) then it helps you a lot. There's more to the game than the end game. "
    yeah BUT end game that skill IS USELESS i never said turf the skill I implied that you should re-spec when you hit level 50 (if you have not already)
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PureRok
    @ZombieHunter: There's no reason to respec since there are no other skills worth getting.
    Avatar image for TheThirstyWhale
    TheThirstyWhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheThirstyWhale

i'm playing as a hunter right now, and have to disagree about the bloodwing - it's awesome 
    my plan is to max out the rogue skill tree while getting the more general damage and health bonuses in the sniper and gunslinger trees 
    having an elementally charged bloodwing doing over 2k damage to 6 guys with such a short cooldown time is pretty great
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Ineedaname

I'm not there yet but I'm going for this:
     http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11550000050055055005500

Health and daze from bloodwing, should make targets easier to hit, and sniper damage. Although I'm not sure on the 5 in the focus box because I'm used to sniper sway from other games really.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Renahzor

im lvl 43 now, I've played around with several specs.  
     http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11550500500000005505055

thats my end game spec, and what im using minus hair trigger for now, you can swap hair trigger for loaded, or even a couple points in each, depending what you like more.  This gives me flexibility in revolvers/pistols and snipers, so i carry a variety of each for different uses.

Relentless + killer up plus a sniper mod that adds to calibur, focus, and sniper crit damage, this spec is AMAZING if you have a good rifle for your level.  With a 675 dmg snier rifle I regularly crit in the 14k range without the 25% killer shot from relentless procing, thats enough to kill lvl 40ish bad mutha brutes in one hit in single payer.  Bloodwing is good, but I've played with him even as the 6 attack/release version and he just doesnt kill enough, fast enough to waste so many points into a cool down.  The reload speed boost (fast hands)  is unnecessary (reload before killers falls off) so that tree becomes increasingly useless to me.  Aside from making enemies drop a ridiculous amount of items, theres no real reason not to go with a gun spec.  Although i do spec bloodwing spec now and then just to play around, its quite fun, just not as effective.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mowgers

I'm a rough mix of sniper and gunslinger, and my preference in guns trend toward high damage, small magazine weapons. Basic strategy is to shoot things with a sniper rifle until they get close, then switch to a revolver and start dodging. Honestly, half the time I forget Bloodwing is there.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

I have a level 40 hunter and i've taken gunslinger as my main branch, with a bit of extra sniper stuff. The bloodwing sucks.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ineedaname

Why all the bloodwing hate?

He can do some damage, give health back and daze, whilst attacking up to 6 people.

thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thejamster
    @Renahzor said:
    " im lvl 43 now, I've played around with several specs.  
     http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11550500500000005505055  thats my end game spec, and what im using minus hair trigger for now, you can swap hair trigger for loaded, or even a couple points in each, depending what you like more.  This gives me flexibility in revolvers/pistols and snipers, so i carry a variety of each for different uses. Relentless + killer up plus a sniper mod that adds to calibur, focus, and sniper crit damage, this spec is AMAZING if you have a good rifle for your level.  With a 675 dmg snier rifle I regularly crit in the 14k range without the 25% killer shot from relentless procing, thats enough to kill lvl 40ish bad mutha brutes in one hit in single payer.  Bloodwing is good, but I've played with him even as the 6 attack/release version and he just doesnt kill enough, fast enough to waste so many points into a cool down.  The reload speed boost (fast hands)  is unnecessary (reload before killers falls off) so that tree becomes increasingly useless to me.  Aside from making enemies drop a ridiculous amount of items, theres no real reason not to go with a gun spec.  Although i do spec bloodwing spec now and then just to play around, its quite fun, just not as effective. "
    this spec makes me re-think my entire skill tree, using both relentless and trespass sounds really good although i like using blood wing  

arghh tough choices
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Renahzor
    @PureRok said:
    " @ZombieHunter: There's no reason to respec since there are no other skills worth getting. "
    no need to be stubborn about it, you could easily put those 5 points into maxing out calibur and killer for more damage, instead of burning 5 points on something that doesn't work at the level cap.  

for everyone concerned about it, at lvl 50 it seems like it will cost about 10k to respec, im sitting on like 3.5M right now, theres PLENTY of money to play with specs.
    Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Moridin

This is my endgame build at 50, currently. I'm using two sniper rifles, one with 1.0x zoom for closer enemies and one with 2.7x zoom for stuff that's further away. I also use pistols / repeaters as backup.

http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11550005550055055000000

Get yourself a good sniper rifle, and you'll absolutely destroy most everything. Also, Bloodwing can be spammed with this build, ensuring that everything around is either dazed or dead. He does pretty ridiculous damage. 

Don't read the spoiler if you haven't finished the game.

Edit: If I end up finding a nice rifle or a Sniper class mod with +sniper rifle ammo regen, I'll be absolutely golden. Haha.

thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thejamster
    Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Galbrezu
    http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#11550500500000005505055 

Working on an identical build to Renahzor; Relentless, Killer, and Trespass were all too good to give up. Can't wait until i can get the full set and just roll over everything. All the bloodwing stuff looks really nice, but I can't see me putting points into a bunch of skills based around a bird I have no direct control over. I really do like the damage he does, but I just prefer to spend the points on myself and my killing abilities :P.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I mainly focused on the sniper path as well as building up my bloodwing a little.

It depends on how you're playing the game. If you're playing completely multiplayer, then go with the more long range sniper route. If you're playing by yourself the sniper skills are kinda useless.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By mordecaix7

This is the loadout I'm going with:   Mordecai Skill Tree

I mostly play solo so I need that health regen since all fire is focused on me and me only.  Love the bloodwing skill :)

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @Renahzor said:
    " @PureRok said:
    " @ZombieHunter: There's no reason to respec since there are no other skills worth getting. "
    no need to be stubborn about it, you could easily put those 5 points into maxing out calibur and killer for more damage, instead of burning 5 points on something that doesn't work at the level cap.    for everyone concerned about it, at lvl 50 it seems like it will cost about 10k to respec, im sitting on like 3.5M right now, theres PLENTY of money to play with specs. "
    i broke the money counter i have 9999999999 where the money i have is and when i buy things the counter doesn't drop, money is defiantly not an issue on the 2nd play-through 
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By mordecaix7
    @ZombieHunter said:
    "i broke the money counter i have 9999999999 where the money i have is and when i buy things the counter doesn't drop, money is defiantly not an issue on the 2nd play-through  "
    how the heck did you do that? (pc or console btw)
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @mordecaix7 said:
    " @ZombieHunter said:
    "i broke the money counter i have 9999999999 where the money i have is and when i buy things the counter doesn't drop, money is defiantly not an issue on the 2nd play-through  "
    how the heck did you do that? (pc or console btw) "
    um im on console and i just started selling everything i didnt need

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.