Borderlands 2 this gen or next?

#1 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

what do you guys think? I know gearbox wont bother making too many dlcs.

#2 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

It'll be this gen for sure, and I'm pretty sure there making a few DLC's.

#3 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

i could see them putting out lots of dlc. mabye fallout style?
#4 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -
@Bubahula said:
" i could see them putting out lots of dlc. mabye fallout style? "
they make more money releasing borderlands 2
#5 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

This gen; with development costing more and more money, it makes sense for studios to recycle their assets. 

#6 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5251 posts) -

I think it'll be a while till we hear of a Borderlands 2. So far with the huge zombie island DLC coming out soon, if they keep it up we will have a ton of extra content to keep us busy for quite some time.

#7 Posted by PhaggyBigNastyMcKill (564 posts) -
@AnimalFather said:
" what do you guys think? I know gearbox wont bother making too many dlcs. "
Source?
#8 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -

im thinking with a 2 year development cycle to polish the existing mechanics to push it over the top... it would be an early next generation title and a current gen title

#9 Posted by InsanePotato (206 posts) -

Maybe when they fix there broken shoddy port of a 1st game on the computer they can consider selling people a 2nd.

#10 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@InsanePotato said:
" Maybe when they fix there broken shoddy port of a 1st game on the computer they can consider selling people a 2nd. "
Its simple, Borderlands isn't a PC game.
#11 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" @InsanePotato said:
" Maybe when they fix there broken shoddy port of a 1st game on the computer they can consider selling people a 2nd. "
Its simple, Borderlands isn't a PC game. "
It's great on the PC.  The menus are the only clunky part.  Other than that, the game plays great. 

As for Borderlands 2...it just came out three weeks ago.  Why do people always have to ask about sequels the minute they beat the game?  Do we REALLY live in that form of society, where we need instant satisfaction the minute we've completed something? 

Nevermind, I can answer that question for myself, as I keep wishing that the next issue of Batman & Robin was out as soon as I finish reading the new one.  lol
#12 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@jakob187: Well, I've been playing this for the PS3 only so lets just say I don't really get it when these PC folks make a big fuss over stuff (MW2 anyone?). Honestly, I'm happy with DLCs at the moment, as it will give Gearbox guys much more time to think of new shit for the sequel like double wielding pistols, gatling guns and more classes.
#13 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" @jakob187: Well, I've been playing this for the PS3 only so lets just say I don't really get it when these PC folks make a big fuss over stuff (MW2 anyone?). Honestly, I'm happy with DLCs at the moment, as it will give Gearbox guys much more time to think of new shit for the sequel like double wielding pistols, gatling guns and more classes. "
Exactly, you don't get it. So keep your nose out of it.
#14 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

i would say this gen. after saying it is a no-brainer to make a second borderlands i can't see the team waiting a long time to get right back to designing and making all the elements they have that bit better. it may be near the end of this gen but it won't be next

#15 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@CL60: GearBox should just cut thier loses and not make Borderlands 2 for the PC. Its impossible to please this crowed.
#16 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

Well seeing as the likelihood of there being a next gen system anytime soon being pretty slim. I'd put my money on it being this gen.

#17 Posted by InsanePotato (206 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:

" @InsanePotato said:

Its simple, Borderlands isn't a PC game. "
It's simple. You're a troll and you were dropped on your head at birth. It's perfect, it explains everything. The retarded nature, the naive nonsensical bs you spew out, the amazing ability to not understand anything from another persons perspective and even the lack of your genitalia.
#18 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@InsanePotato: Yep, GearBox should definitely just stop developing for the PC since just about everything everybody does lately equates to getting sand in their vagina.
#19 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

I would hope it would be a current gen game as there were some minor technical issues with the first game. I think they could make the game both look and run better while on this gen since they now have more experience on these consoles. When you start developing on next gen consoles, the software is completely new, and the developers would have to learn about it and while the game may look nicer, wouldn't be up to the true potential it would have if they made it while knowing more about the software.

#20 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" I think it'll be a while till we hear of a Borderlands 2. So far with the huge zombie island DLC coming out soon, if they keep it up we will have a ton of extra content to keep us busy for quite some time. "
I can't remember exactly where I read it, article on Joystiq maybe but Gearbox pretty much said that Borderlands 2 was kind of a no brainer. 

As for the question, this gen for sure. I don't expect the "next gen" to be here for a couple more years at least.
#21 Posted by InsanePotato (206 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
" @InsanePotato: Yep, GearBox should definitely just stop developing for the PC since just about everything everybody does lately equates to getting sand in their vagina. "
Lol i'd argue with that but you stole my sand in the vagina line ;)
#22 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @StaticFalconar said:
" @jakob187: Well, I've been playing this for the PS3 only so lets just say I don't really get it when these PC folks make a big fuss over stuff (MW2 anyone?). Honestly, I'm happy with DLCs at the moment, as it will give Gearbox guys much more time to think of new shit for the sequel like double wielding pistols, gatling guns and more classes. "
Exactly, you don't get it. So keep your nose out of it. "
I think it has less to do with "PC gamers," and more the fact of they didn't bother to optimize or change the clunky-ass menus in the PC version.

@PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:

" @AnimalFather said:

" what do you guys think? I know gearbox wont bother making too many dlcs. "
Source? "
Oh, so making at least ten or fifteen DLC packs sounds reasonable to you?
#23 Posted by Guexx (60 posts) -

this gen and i think next year
as soon as i saw the ending of this first one i thought that there could be a sequel

#24 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

Gearbox has said that it intends to expand the main story of BL through DLC. I'm sure they have more plans for DLC than for a sequel at this point. 

That said, I never believe DLC until it's released.

#25 Posted by pweidman (2307 posts) -
@Damian said:
"Gearbox has said that it intends to expand the main story of BL through DLC. I'm sure they have more plans for DLC than for a sequel at this point.  That said, I never believe DLC until it's released. "

DLC has been already announced. Nov. 27,  I think.  And as far as the next game I'll guess this gen.  The game's a hit for sure, critically and sales-wise, and I would anticipate a BL2 some time in 2011.  Just my guess, but this game's the best Gearbox has ever made, and I bet 2K is gonna push a sequel hard; just like EA is w/Dead Space.
#26 Posted by Sin4profit (2911 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

As for Borderlands 2...it just came out three weeks ago.  Why do people always have to ask about sequels the minute they beat the game?  Do we REALLY live in that form of society, where we need instant satisfaction the minute we've completed something?
I think it's just a matter of this game having so many obvious spots needing improvement. It begs for a sequel, especially considering the ending.

I do think they'll make a sequel this gen but until then i'm really looking forward to this DLC probably more then any other game add-on DLC i can remember.
#27 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -
@pweidman said:

" @Damian said:

"Gearbox has said that it intends to expand the main story of BL through DLC. I'm sure they have more plans for DLC than for a sequel at this point.  That said, I never believe DLC until it's released. "
DLC has been already announced. Nov. 27,  I think.  And as far as the next game I'll guess this gen.  The game's a hit for sure, critically and sales-wise, and I would anticipate a BL2 some time in 2011.  Just my guess, but this game's the best Gearbox has ever made, and I bet 2K is gonna push a sequel hard; just like EA is w/Dead Space. "
Zombies drop on the 24th for XB and PS in NA. And I'm sure it will see it's release. I just force myself to stay skeptical because I've been burned on assuming DLC on many games. 

Anyway, I was trying to find the interview where I read what I had claimed. But I only found this interview, which just scratches the topic. But it has GB's creative director saying this:

We’re working on DLC. We haven’t really had any talks about a sequel, other than water cooler talk like, “Wouldn’t this be cool” kind of stuff.

But yeah, Borderlands is really exciting. Everyone here loves the franchise, and it seems like the public is really coming back with praise and love. So yeah, if everything makes sense, Borderlands 2 seems like a no-brainer to me.

#28 Posted by Guillespie (9 posts) -

Hopefully a sequel will be this gen cause I would hate to wait that long for another one even with DLC coming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.