Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Bought the GOTY version. Almost beat it. Time to try DLC?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

I just need to get the final key piece to get near the ending. I got hit with the "turn in shield bug" so I've had a full list of locations and quests for quite a while so I know I'm almost done. I want to jump into the DLC before I beat the game because I'm assuming that once I beat the game I'll lose out on a playthrough of those DLC pieces since I can't repeat missions whenever I want.

My question is should I play them before I beat the game? I jumped into the zombie island one for just a second and I saw the cut scene talk about the hunt for the vault being over. Is the DLC meant to be played after beating the game?

I've heard some of the DLC gives special perks that could be useful during the normal game, but I've heard that playing the DCL will cause you to be overlevelled for NG+ (currently 33), which I don't really want to do. Also, is there an order I should play them in?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

There are no real speical perks. No clue where you heard that. They are all based AFTER the game ends. So finish the game. Then keep your first playthough.  

Also If I recall right New game plus will scale to you 

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

If you plan on doing a second run to get maxlevel I would suggest to not play them yet so you get some fresh content on your second playthrough. If not ... just play them whenever they are available. Doesn't really make any differecne sind, as awesome as Borderlands is, the narrative isnt exactly the games strong point ... so it's not really important.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By golguin

@The_Laughing_Man said:

There are no real speical perks. No clue where you heard that. They are all based AFTER the game ends. So finish the game. Then keep your first playthough. Also If I recall right New game plus will scale to you

There is a bank in mad moxxi that gives you more inventory space and I believe it's general knoxx that gives the level cap increase. I don't know what the others if there are others, but I remember hearing about weapons that were like pearl rank or something.

EDIT: What do you mean by "keep your first playthrough"? Are you talking about copying the file over to another save slot or are you not automatically entered into NG+ once you beat the game?

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hitchenson

@golguin said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

There are no real speical perks. No clue where you heard that. They are all based AFTER the game ends. So finish the game. Then keep your first playthough. Also If I recall right New game plus will scale to you

There is a bank in mad moxxi that gives you more inventory space and I believe it's general knoxx that gives the level cap increase. I don't know what the others if there are others, but I remember hearing about weapons that were like pearl rank or something.

EDIT: What do you mean by "keep your first playthrough"? Are you talking about copying the file over to another save slot or are you not automatically entered into NG+ once you beat the game?

Whenever you load your save in the future you'll get to pick playthrough 1 or 2. Just play it.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By golguin

@2HeadedNinja said:

If you plan on doing a second run to get maxlevel I would suggest to not play them yet so you get some fresh content on your second playthrough. If not ... just play them whenever they are available. Doesn't really make any differecne sind, as awesome as Borderlands is, the narrative isnt exactly the games strong point ... so it's not really important.

They are all available now, but I don't remember when I was able to access them. I guess I could beat the game first and then play through all the DLC one right after another, but what order do I play them in? Do they have level recommendations or do they scale to my level?

marmalade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By marmalade

@golguin: Just having the dlc gives you the raised level cap, you don't have to play through General Knoxx to raise it. As someone else mentioned already, the dlc takes place after the game, so that's probably the way to play it. I believe the order is: Zombies, Knoxx, Revolution. I never bought Moxi's thing as I heard it was poop, but that would go after Zombies if you wanna give it a whirl.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By phrali

knoxx and zombies are better than the main game play them NAO. Claptrap is ok moxxi is garbage

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By golguin

Okay thanks people. I was worried about hitting a point of no return before being able to jump into the DLC. Now I know I can beat the game, do the DLC in playthrough 1, then start again in playthrough 2.

Does anyone know if my quest glitch about turning in the shield to dr zed will clear up during the 2nd playthrough when I'm finally allowed to turn it in? It seems that only people who are affected with the glitch are able to play together and it gets annoying kicking out the modded weapons unlimited shield people from the players that are playing legit.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phrali

quest glitch will not carry over. To be safe play solo until that quest is done and NEVER PLAY WITH RANDOMS. .EVER. I have finished both pts with all 4 chars, all solo, and i have never once had a quest glitch. It only happens in mp.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By phrali

to be more clear- pt1 will remain glitched. Progress in pt2 is not affected by quest progress in 1 and vice versa. Completely independant.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By golguin

@phrali said:

quest glitch will not carry over. To be safe play solo until that quest is done and NEVER PLAY WITH RANDOMS. .EVER. I have finished both pts with all 4 chars, all solo, and i have never once had a quest glitch. It only happens in mp.

I thought the glitch only activates if you join someone else who is also glitched and not if someone joins your game.

I stopped joining other people when the glitch happened and quests were added to my queue in areas I had never even visited. People joining a non glitched game wouldn't add their unfinished quests to the host right? Doesn't the quest menu only list quests the host has found? If that's not the case it will be a real bummer since I was looking forward to locking out all glitched people.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By phrali

sorry for triple post, am on cell phone cant edit. WARNING DO NOT PLAY KNOXX WITH RANDOMS. Many are going to be farming an area that is supposed to be closed off, and they do do this by intentionally glitching a quest. Playing with these people may severely fuck up your quest progress in knoxx

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By phrali

the whole quest progression system is completely boned in mp. The only way to ensure that you do not glitch a quest is to play solo or with a friend that you know is progressing through quests at exactly the same rate as you. Incidentally pitchford has mentioned that fixing this was a big priority in the sequel

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By zaccheus

@phrali: Please use the edit button.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By phrali

sorry i apologize again, am on cell phone and my ghetto browser does not support editor, wanted to try to be clear as possible to help op avoid walking into more glitches MY BAD SO SORRY

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ulain

Generally speaking, I found the DLCs, especially Knoxx and Zombie Island, to have an average higher level of loot. As in, you're less likely to find level 4 white guns that seem to drop often in the vanilla portion of the game.

Even if that's not your thing, I wouldn't wait, since like they said, you can go back to Playthrough 1 to experience things. You may find one of the expansions incredibly fun, and wish you had done it earlier. I love Zombie Island, and usually have to force myself to leave so I don't overlevel when I go back to the main game. Knoxx is probably the only one you could really say to do AFTER you finish the game, simply because even the PT 1 version is level 35 minimum. Enjoy them all!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.