Buy or don't Buy?: Borderlands

#1 Posted by saoakden (129 posts) -

I went to Gamestop last week to buy myself a copy of Street Fighter 4. The cashier tells me about some of the games coming out later this year. He mentions Borderlands to me and starts to tell me a bit about it. He goes on to say its an awesome rpg shooter and how it looks great and all this other good stuff about it. So it got me thinking,is this game really that good? I put a few bucks on it just in case. So is this game as awesome as the cashier at gamestop makes it out to be?

Put down your experiences with the game, good or bad with this game. What did you like about it, what you didn't like, would you recommend the game to a friend or some stranger wanting to buy a shooter or rpg?

#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Borderlands 1 is awesome if you like shooting stuff, some rpg elements, a shitload of random and cool weapons and classes.

#3 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

It's a very lite-RPG, basically a first person shooter version of Diablo. You take quests, go out and shoot stuff and find loot.

It's a very fun game though, especially on co-op. I'd highly recommend playing it before the sequel comes out later this year.

#4 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

It is cheap now so i'd say go for it.

#5 Posted by saoakden (129 posts) -

I like shooting stuff when I feel like it, i do like rpgs, and i really love not one, not two but a shit ton of random and cool weapons. Classes that can go either way.

#6 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5004 posts) -

Buy!

And after finishing it, get hype for Borderlands 2.

#7 Posted by andriv (256 posts) -

buy the goty edition, get 48+ hours of gaming with one of the four characters (roland) for cheap, of course.

#8 Posted by RedCream (705 posts) -

Buy! (preferably GOTY edition) I liked the art style and the constant looting and questing. I think only the most jaded person would have something against this game.

#9 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Borderlands tickles my fancy. Plus Cage the Elephant are amazing, great band.

#10 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

it's great but if you're not desperate i'd just wait for borderlands 2. seems like it'll be the perfect kind of sequel, keeping all the best bits and fixing all the problems, bigger better and more refined. plus you could just jump right in, it's not like you're missing a massive amount story-wise.

#11 Posted by PenguinDust (12512 posts) -

I loved it. I am definitely picking up the sequel in the fall.

#12 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1324 posts) -

I think it's always amazing finding people that discover video games AT retail stores like this, especially those who actually are members of a gaming site yet somehow don't know of the pretty popular game the retailer is talking about. I also don't get the whole pre-order thing, you put money down just in case? Just in case what, you forget about it? Throw it on your wishlist on giantbomb or perhaps visit the website sometime in the coming year, borderlands 2 will be all over this site I'd imagine as most of the staff really enjoyed it and a few in particular really adore the game.

You want sound video game advice? Stay on this site, look at the videos for Borderlands for a bit and make your mind up based on that. The game is pretty cheap right now on Steam if you end up thinking you wanna try it, the base game is $20 and the GOTY edition will all the DLC is $30 and while some of the DLC aren't incredible it's not like it's expensive, I'd say the worst of them are still worth the $30 total.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8980/

#13 Posted by UitDeToekomst (714 posts) -

I actually just played thru Borderlands and most of the DLC for the first time over about a week span a few months ago, and really enjoyed it. Got the GOTY edition (includes all 4 DLC packs) for I think $20. Like Vinny, when I see a franchise that I think might be interesting, I dive in from the very beginning, even if the first entry or two aren't that great. The fact that the first entry in this franchise is excellent makes it pretty much a no-brainer, especially if you can pick it up cheap.

#14 Posted by DeF (4885 posts) -

@saoakden: I find it surprising that you're on Giant Bomb and have to ask this question. Jeff has professed his love for Borderlands over and over again. why not check the reviews?

#15 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

I have had borderlands for a while but only really got into it this week, I'd recommend playing Co op but if you can't it's still fun.

#16 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

Don't buy.

#17 Posted by potatomash3r (126 posts) -

Don't, unless you have a friend or friends to play with.

#18 Posted by Will_M (345 posts) -

Buy it now! Its the perfect slow time for games and you'll be able to appreciate the improvements even more in BL2.

#19 Edited by Korolev (1706 posts) -

@potatomash3r said:

Wise advice. Don't play this game by yourself - few games are as dull as Singleplayer Borderlands. It's great with friends, absolutely fantastic if you've got a brother who can play it with you. But for the love of god, don't play this on your own. You will weep tears of boredom and frustration.

Borderlands should come with a disclaimer - FUN ONLY WITH FRIENDS.

#20 Posted by saoakden (129 posts) -

@DeF: Because my fellow user, I don't come to the website as much as I should. I'm starting to now and I will read the review.

So this game is fun but a lot more fun with other people huh? Hmmm this series is catching my interest.

#21 Posted by stryker1121 (1437 posts) -

Unpolished but definitely worth it at the price you'll probably find it at. I played solo and the game felt unbalanced in terms of dropping loot at higher levels. Got very bored picking up loads of vendor trash, and the world overall is sterile and dotted with billboard NPCs doling out quests. Still, even solo it's a good deal of fun for a couple of dozen hours until the guns dry up. The sequel looks to have improved most everything and is right near the top of my list of games for the fall.

#22 Posted by TheHT (11237 posts) -

Tried getting through it twice. Got bored both times.

#23 Posted by RTSlord (1201 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Borderlands 1 is awesome if you like shooting stuff, some rpg elements, a shitload of random and cool weapons and classes.
#24 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2054 posts) -

Wait for Borderlands 2.

#25 Posted by arimajinn (173 posts) -

wait what ? really? Borderland is a BUY no discussion

#26 Posted by Samael2138 (233 posts) -

I love that game. GOTY edition is definitely the way to go. It is more fun with friends, but I still enjoyed the single player. Mainly for the glorious loot. And Claptrap. That little guy is alright in my book.

I'd say buy.

#27 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

@Korolev said:

@potatomash3r said:

Wise advice. Don't play this game by yourself - few games are as dull as Singleplayer Borderlands. It's great with friends, absolutely fantastic if you've got a brother who can play it with you. But for the love of god, don't play this on your own. You will weep tears of boredom and frustration.

I disagree I played a shit ton of the game solo and had a blast with it. Depends on your tastes I guess but you can totally play Borderlands solo and potentially enjoy it.

#28 Posted by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

Buy right now as long as you have someone else to join you on Pandora. I found the game somewhat dull as a single player game. Find a friend (or three!) and start playing!

#29 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

It's one of my favorite games.

#30 Posted by Rafaelfc (1344 posts) -

Buy the sh*t out of it!!!

#31 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

It's a poor shooter and an even poorer RPG. It's fun in co-op, but unless you have a group of friends who you know are going to commit to it the same as you, it's really not worth the time. All this, plus a million bugs, unintuitive/bland/repetitive quests and a pretty lame story. I was super disappointed by it and (for some odd reason) gave it multiple chances. As someone who is usually into shooters, RPGs and bizarre fantasy/sci-fi, I cannot recommend.

#32 Edited by NTM (7374 posts) -

I say don't buy. I never found that game to be fun, nor do I know anyone in person that thought it was fun single or co-op. Seems like a lot of people enjoyed it on the internet though, so maybe. Still, my personal opinion is no. Not worth it. Basically, I'm not telling you to not buy it, 'cause you may love it, but if I were to ask myself this same question and the other me didn't have the game, I'd say no. I tried picking this game back up after I played Rage, but after a very short while, I just couldn't do it, erased my progress back off my console 'cause I was done with it.

#33 Posted by DeF (4885 posts) -

@saoakden said:

@DeF: Because my fellow user, I don't come to the website as much as I should. I'm starting to now and I will read the review.

So this game is fun but a lot more fun with other people huh? Hmmm this series is catching my interest.

Sorry if I came off a bit rude there, I just assume that people come here knowing all the quirks and likes of the staff :)

You seem to be still relatively new here so that'd explain it why you didn't know about Jeff's undying Borderlands love.

#34 Posted by vmehnert (224 posts) -

played it SOLO basically the entire time - loved it

#35 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

The fact that you can pick it up with all the DLC for cheap (Although Moxies is mostly crap), it's worth your attention

@Korolev said:

@potatomash3r said:

I finished the game well before any of my friends picked it up, And yes it is a thousand times better with friends but I think theres still some enjoyability out of playing alone

#36 Posted by oldjack327 (134 posts) -

Tough call. I picked it up on a steam sale for 7 bucks and feel I got my money out of it, but i couldn't bring myself to complete it because it gets really repetitive. A word of advice that might help save you from the mess I found myself in: Don't do every last quest. If you do you will tend to be so over leveled that half-way through the game you will be fighting enemies that simply don't hold any challenge since you completely outclass them. It really causes the whole experience to drag. If you can avoid the completionist desire to finish every quest, then you might stay on the level curve and continue to have fun. I unfortunately power-leveled myself into boredom... which I think is the biggest problem with adding RPG elements into games.

#37 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

The shooting is pretty good and I like the more relaxed pace of doing quests as opposed to a typical shooter campaign. I'd recommend it either way but if you have a coop buddy for it then theres no question you should get it. Also theres a lot of professional reviews out there...

#38 Posted by saoakden (129 posts) -

@DeF: Its cool DeF. I only come on here every once and a while. Usually its when I feel like writing a blog about gaming or doing reserach for a game that I might want to buy like now. I'm more active on comicvine, giantbomb second, animevice third.

#39 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -

@saoakden: It's fun if you're into loot - just know that the ending... really, really blows.

#40 Posted by tsiro (214 posts) -

No joke, Borderlands is one of my favorite games of all time. It's been out for so long that it's probably basically free, so you should go ahead and treat yourself. Just go for it!

#41 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

There is absolutely no reason not to buy it. Pay a million dollars if you have to. It cures cancer, it can walk your dog, its wingman skills are unrivaled, it is the second coming of...of...something...

The greatest game ever made and you have to ask if it's worth buying?

#42 Posted by Spoonman671 (4632 posts) -

I really like Borderlands, but eventually I (and therefore the enemies) out-leveled the best weapons I had found, and it was taking way too long to kill anything.  I haven't heard of anybody else having this problem though, so it's probably an isolated incident.

I think you could safely pick up the first game and enjoy it, and I think buying Borderlands 2 is a no-brainer.

#43 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@saoakden said:

This is one of those games that is vastly improved by co-op (although during some of the early areas, before side quests, diffuculty is kind of messed up in co-op mode - ie. enemies you cannot damage almost). Combat is pretty good, but it does not have any great hook to it as a single player game.

Shooting is pretty good, but it does not have any of the immediate feel that the more traditional FPS games have, because of the way level and item level impacts it. The story is very aside too. So I guess Diablo is a good comparison, but it is less technical in terms of positining and strategy. Amazing co-op though.

#44 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Yes. Yes. Yes. I put probably 70 hours into it including all dlc (except mad moxxi) and its still probably my favorite game I the last few years.

It's basically Diablo with guns, so you can't really go wrong.

#45 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

It was probably my favorite game of 2009 so yeah. I would definitely recommend it.

#46 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

Buy. Ending sucks but that's about it.

#47 Posted by saoakden (129 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Borderlands does all that, damn thats awesome! Dude, your post made me laugh and put me in a good mood. That made my day.

#48 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -

Check out the first Borderlands, will probably let you know if you are gonna like the sequel.

#49 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

@saoakden:

I loved it. Probably my favourite game of this generation. I have spent somewhere close to 150 hours across multiple playthroughs (not including any DLC). It is just a solid, fun, zany game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.