Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Does anybody else think this?

n00d13z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By n00d13z

I think that Borderlands started out looking like it wouldn't be able to sell very well with the upcoming MW2 and such. But as it closer and closer to release, Borderlands has grown  immensely! Its not going to give MW2 a run for its money, But i think it's fanbase has grown so much that it will sell very very well. And is very much a contender for game of the year. Like a good football game im going to be on the edge of my seat to see who wins that, im rooting for Boderlands all the way!

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

Yeah, there's no way it'll give CoD: MW2 a run for its money, like you say. But I do hope the game does really well because it looks fucking awesome to be frank, can't wait.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I hope it'll sell well, but it's always a guessing game.  They need to put out a few more game play demonstrations to let people know how the combat works; I get the feeling some people are still a little apprehensive about how the RPG meshes with the shooter.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SamStrife

I think that it's biggest fanbase is the GiantBomb community, lol.  Yeah it won't give MW2 a run for its money, but now most games have been delayed, it has a much clearer path than it would have done.   Hope so very much it does well.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

So far my feelings toward Borderlands is very much how I was when Fallout 3 was in this same situation. It looks ok visually, but the general gameplay and combat looks very hit or miss to me at the moment. Case in point I never bought Fallout 3 because of the entire VATs thing and the combat looked bloody horrid, still does to me, yet some people found that highly intuitive and fun to play.

Borderlands may look great visually but so far little of what they've shown in trailers etc makes me even consider purchasing the game.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Lowbrow

While its played in the first person, the game is an RPG - so despite the fact that it has guns, and is in first person, its a totally different game. 

But yes, it looks good.

n00d13z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By n00d13z
    @SamStrife said:
    "I think that it's biggest fanbase is the GiantBomb community, lol.  Yeah it won't give MW2 a run for its money, but now most games have been delayed, it has a much clearer path than it would have done.   Hope so very much it does well. "

Haha, yeah. Giantbomb knows the good games. If everyone in the Giantbomb community buys 10 copies of Boderlands, it should sell well. 
    I just want it to sell well mainly because i want Gearbox to be able to make many many more games.
    Avatar image for scrubbingbubbles
    ScrubbingBubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ScrubbingBubbles

In my opinion, Borderlands takes CoD and drops it in the toilet. Screw CoD, this looks like a way more fresh and interesting experience.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hitchenson
    @ScrubbingBubbles said:
    " In my opinion, Borderlands takes CoD and drops it in the toilet. Screw CoD, this looks like a way more fresh and interesting experience. "
    Dude, you'll be lucky not to get shot after saying that...
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Lashe
    @Hitchenson said:

" @ScrubbingBubbles said:

" In my opinion, Borderlands takes CoD and drops it in the toilet. Screw CoD, this looks like a way more fresh and interesting experience. "
    Dude, you'll be lucky not to get shot after saying that... "
    BANG. 

But I honestly could agree with him. CoD has been the same (albeit great) game in all 5 iterations (not quite as great in 3 and 5, but still damn good imo), not to mention the volume of spin off games (eg, Big Red One). Borderlands has me more interested than MW2 at this point, probably because I know I'm safe thinking MW2 will be a great game.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Lashe said:
    " @Hitchenson said:

" @ScrubbingBubbles said:

Dude, you'll be lucky not to get shot after saying that... "
    BANG.  But I honestly could agree with him. CoD has been the same (albeit great) game in all 5 iterations (not quite as great in 3 and 5, but still damn good imo), not to mention the volume of spin off games (eg, Big Red One). Borderlands has me more interested than MW2 at this point, probably because I know I'm safe thinking MW2 will be a great game. "
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on all of that.
    ScrubbingBubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ScrubbingBubbles

I'm not saying MW2 is bad at all (it certainly will sell trillions upon trillions of copies), but it's not intuitive. It bores me. Borderlands, on the other hand, has potential to be an amazing, unique, and fresh experience. I think CoD is going to be good, just too much of a proven concept (for the devs to make some big cashola) for them to change things up other than "It's got snowmobiles! BUY OUR GAME!"
    whooping_crane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By whooping_crane

I'm really looking forward to Borderlands but I think the most important thing for it to do is to get the controls right. Aiming has to be as good as in first-person-shooters like COD. Even though it's an RPG it has to get the shooter mechanics to work really well otherwise I can't see it doing well and definitely not getting Game of the Year.

ScrubbingBubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ScrubbingBubbles

Yeah, the shooting was probably one of Fallout 3's biggest weak points (to use that as a comparison), so Bordelands getting it down is major.
    Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Ozzie

yeah i feel like borderlands will draw me in more and more now, before it was like ok a lot of weapons that's cool but now that it's closer to release i'm getting more and more psyched.  I think that if it's an open world mechanic and if the co op works good this could be a really addicting game

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Damian

I'm gonna wait for a few reviews to make sure my expectations are met, but I'm otherwise entirely sold on this game. And what I think it will be ... well, I hope more games follow suit in the future. And if Borderlands falls flat, I still hope someone makes that game, 'cause DAMN do I want to play it.

ScrubbingBubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ScrubbingBubbles
    @Ozzie said:
    "yeah i feel like borderlands will draw me in more and more now, before it was like ok a lot of weapons that's cool but now that it's closer to release i'm getting more and more psyched.  I think that if it's an open world mechanic and if the co op works good this could be a really addicting game "

Exactly. At this point, it's waiting to see how well the co-op, open world, and RPG aspects play out. And if it works the game will ROCK!
    hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By hungrynun

@Hamz  

There are some gameplay videos that were released. And the most I can say is that the loot chest opens up pretty cool. 

That being said I'm going to be cautious about this like I was for Too Human. Hopefully it won't turn out the same though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.