Free Borderlands Patch Will Bump Level Cap To 69 This October

• 107 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Forthcoming Borderlands DLC Claptrap's New Robot Revolution won't boost the game's level cap like the previous bit of content, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, did, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to enjoy new levels and main game rebalancing after that Claptrap-centric DLC hits later this September. Gearbox has plans to release a cap raise for all via a free patch for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 versions of the game this fall, the studio revealed during its recent PAX panel (via Joystiq).

The reason why the Clatprap DLC won't include this patch is simple: Gearbox doesn't want to bone users who haven't purchased every scrap of additional content for the RPG. According to studio head Randy Pitchford at the panel, "you'd have to buy every previous DLC" for the main game balance tweaks and level upgrade to work--if it were to be included exclusively in Claptrap's New Robot Revolution.

Red means evil, FYI.
That's a neat way to avoid a mess and score some points with the less faithful Borderlands flock, but is the raise going to be significant? If you consider eight levels levels significant, then yes, it will be indeed. Gearbox has decided to give users the ability to reach level 69--a classy boost over the 61 General Knoxx DLC gave its owners. But if you want to take it to 69, dude, you're going to need to own that DLC. Players that don't have that third DLC release will be able to take it up to level 58.

Gearbox expects this patch to hit around October 12, the same date Borderlands Game of the Year edition is slated to hit store shelves. This special edition will ship with the four previous bits of DLC and will include a "comprehensive" foldout map of the game's universe. The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the GOTY package will be sold for $60, while the PC version will be sold for $50.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Forthcoming Borderlands DLC Claptrap's New Robot Revolution won't boost the game's level cap like the previous bit of content, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, did, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to enjoy new levels and main game rebalancing after that Claptrap-centric DLC hits later this September. Gearbox has plans to release a cap raise for all via a free patch for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 versions of the game this fall, the studio revealed during its recent PAX panel (via Joystiq).

The reason why the Clatprap DLC won't include this patch is simple: Gearbox doesn't want to bone users who haven't purchased every scrap of additional content for the RPG. According to studio head Randy Pitchford at the panel, "you'd have to buy every previous DLC" for the main game balance tweaks and level upgrade to work--if it were to be included exclusively in Claptrap's New Robot Revolution.

Red means evil, FYI.
That's a neat way to avoid a mess and score some points with the less faithful Borderlands flock, but is the raise going to be significant? If you consider eight levels levels significant, then yes, it will be indeed. Gearbox has decided to give users the ability to reach level 69--a classy boost over the 61 General Knoxx DLC gave its owners. But if you want to take it to 69, dude, you're going to need to own that DLC. Players that don't have that third DLC release will be able to take it up to level 58.

Gearbox expects this patch to hit around October 12, the same date Borderlands Game of the Year edition is slated to hit store shelves. This special edition will ship with the four previous bits of DLC and will include a "comprehensive" foldout map of the game's universe. The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the GOTY package will be sold for $60, while the PC version will be sold for $50.
#2 Edited by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

really 69? 

#3 Posted by Pop (2651 posts) -

Giggity!!!

#4 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

HAHA?

#5 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1838 posts) -

Can't wait for this shit. I really hope they include a third playthrough, though.

#6 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

#7 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

69 oh yea.

#8 Posted by Berezov (504 posts) -

Dear me Randy, 69?

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (12444 posts) -

:o I wonder how this affects Crawmerax.

#10 Posted by Kyreo (4602 posts) -

I get it...

#11 Posted by Jeffk38uk (719 posts) -

Level 69. Classy. Good news either way, can't wait for the Claptrap DLC as well.

#12 Posted by JarenFace (205 posts) -

Hopefully now I can solo Crawmerax <_<;;

But seriously though, I was thinking about it last night, Gearbox has really supported this game. Just when I think I'm done with the title, something new comes around that makes me want to jump back into Pandora and shoot some stuff for a while.

#13 Posted by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -
@adoggz said:

"  

"
Epic.
#14 Posted by Pepsicolaboy (321 posts) -

They should release a patch that re-renders the game in the original version of the engine.  
Of course, that makes literally no sense, would be a logistical and technical nightmare and simply require months of work with a final download of a few gig.....and I don't know if I'd even want to play it.... 

..I don't know why I post these things.

#15 Posted by buhssuht (435 posts) -

is it 69 just because they started to work on Duke Nukem Forever?

#16 Posted by Harletron (52 posts) -

You have to appreciate a company that goes to such lengths for stupid jokes. It's truly inspirational.

#17 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1539 posts) -

Sooooo pissed I lost my game saves then they come out with new DLC.  The humanity!
#18 Posted by DrMadHatten (118 posts) -
@Pepsicolaboy said:
" They should release a patch that re-renders the game in the original version of the engine.  Of course, that makes literally no sense, would be a logistical and technical nightmare and simply require months of work with a final download of a few gig.....and I don't know if I'd even want to play it....  ..I don't know why I post these things. "
we all have dreams....i guess. I agree
#19 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

that is such a weird level cap to go to...

#20 Posted by CannibalFerox (296 posts) -

That's not enough. Didn't Jeff hit 50 and wrap around a second time? Should be 100. 

Oh..and 69? Who makes these decisions? Twelve-year-olds?

#21 Posted by Deathpooky (1446 posts) -

Still not entirely clear on how the level bump and re-tweaking will work / not work, but either way glad to see more developers doing the right thing with DLC and general post-release support.  Hope they realize the kind of goodwill it engenders in their brand and company.  See also Burnout Paradise, Fallout 3 and the Dead Rising 2 Pre-LC.

#22 Posted by Death_Burnout (3800 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:

" @adoggz said:

"  

"
Epic. "

#23 Posted by Leoplureodon (89 posts) -
Why 69? Weird things happen when your  President and CEO can levitate
#24 Posted by Tordah (2488 posts) -

Yes! GOTY edition! This is great news for people like me that don't own the regular Borderlands yet.

#25 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

They couldn't just fix the save system?
#26 Posted by Milkman (17342 posts) -

HA I GET IT

#27 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (345 posts) -

Crawdaddy will still slap you down in two hits, don't worry about that.  I like the 8 level bonus for free and all, but I just wish they'd drop DNF and work on Borderlands 2.  I wonder if they volunteered for the job or if they were volunteered for it.

#28 Posted by shenstra (167 posts) -

As someone who's only recently gotten an HD system, I'm planning to get Borderlands sometime soon. What should I do? FInish the game, then get the DLC, or get the DLC before/during my first playthrough? Or should I just wait for the GOTY-edition to hit Europe?

#29 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

I like how some people are up in arms over a simple number.

#30 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Borderlands > DNF, Don't Give A Fuck!

#31 Posted by Rapid (1409 posts) -

if 69 is the cap the enemies should be level 70+ to keep it interesting.

#32 Posted by xyzygy (10079 posts) -

I'm probably just gonna wait for the GOTY edition. 

QUESTION - Will the GOTY edition recognize my saves from the launch day Borderlands copy?

#33 Edited by gla55jAw (2698 posts) -

Ugh, this means I'll have to wait to purchase the DLC to match it up to the level increase. It's pointless to play though the whole DLC only to have a level cap increase after I beat it.

#34 Posted by dudeglove (8309 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" :o I wonder how this affects Crawmerax. "
It might scale it the same way the way Mad Moxxi works?
#35 Posted by DarkHeroZark (175 posts) -

Hopefully with the Claptrap they will fix the DLC fast travel problems.

#36 Posted by dudeglove (8309 posts) -
@shenstra said:
" As someone who's only recently gotten an HD system, I'm planning to get Borderlands sometime soon. What should I do? FInish the game, then get the DLC, or get the DLC before/during my first playthrough? Or should I just wait for the GOTY-edition to hit Europe? "
Finish the game before starting Knoxx, the other two are fine. Moxxi isn't really worth it, though the two extra skill points and gun bank thing are very welcome.
#37 Posted by FoxMulder (1711 posts) -

bahahahahahahahahha 69!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 Edited by Underwhelmed (46 posts) -
@shenstra: The current DLC is more intended as post game content. You can enter any of them at any time, but Zombies and Knoxx will gain you levels and loot that the main campaign will not adjust for meaning that it will become terminally easy (or easier depending on your opinion of the games difficulty in the first place)

In your position, I would at least wait until they announce when the GOTY edition will be available on your side of the pond and decide based on your ability to wait that long. The GOTY will likely be cheaper than buying all the DLC ala carte. Mad Moxxi's Dome is totally skip-able by the way.
#39 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I hope I can find a good group to quest with.

#40 Posted by schattenwolf86 (132 posts) -
@shenstra said:
" As someone who's only recently gotten an HD system, I'm planning to get Borderlands sometime soon. What should I do? FInish the game, then get the DLC, or get the DLC before/during my first playthrough? Or should I just wait for the GOTY-edition to hit Europe? "
If you do buy the General Knoxx DLC and want to beat Crawmerax, it will have to be done on playthrough 2 so you can reach the highest level possible (Crawmerax is level 64, 3 levels higher than the current cap of 61)..  My advice is do the first playthrough through the main game (the first playthrough your level will be in the mid 30s), go into playthrough 2, level up to the low 50s, then go into General Knoxx DLC. 
#41 Posted by ASRGT (10 posts) -
@LordCmdrStryker said:
"  I just wish they'd drop DNF and work on Borderlands 2.  I wonder if they volunteered for the job or if they were volunteered for it. "
Sigh, yes because gearbox is such a small company they don't have enough people to manage two projects at once........! face palm 
#42 Posted by HT101 (1192 posts) -

Gearbox and Randy Pitchford are awesome.  I love Borderlands and I will eventually get all of the DLC for this, even Mad Moxxi, just so I can S-Rank it eventually.

#43 Posted by fisk0 (4516 posts) -
@CannibalFerox said:
" That's not enough. Didn't Jeff hit 50 and wrap around a second time? Should be 100.  Oh..and 69? Who makes these decisions? Twelve-year-olds? "
I'm sure they decided on it to honor the 1969 moon landings, the birth of ARPANET and death of Ho Chi Minh, as well as that 1992 Ministry song.
#44 Posted by ruffedgz (117 posts) -

Maybe Gearbox will come out with another patch soon for Boarderlands where they add some Duke Nukem characters or something :P

#45 Posted by Yummylee (22579 posts) -

rrrrriiiight. Well, more reason for me to head back into Borderlands, anywhoo! Been quite a while..

#46 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

Oh gearbox, stop making me love you so much. I'm just drooling at the thought of more lvling in borderlands.

#47 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

that's like 19 levels from where I am right now.

#48 Edited by Cybexx (1232 posts) -

So wait, the dlc is being release then the level-cap patch is coming weeks later? So if your a hardcore Borderlands player (if your buying DLC at this point in the lifespan that is highly likely) and you grab it Day 1, play through that content, when the level-cap patch hits you won't have any new content to play through while working towards lvl 69, that sounds kind of wrong to me. 

#49 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" I'm probably just gonna wait for the GOTY edition.  QUESTION - Will the GOTY edition recognize my saves from the launch day Borderlands copy? "
If it's like any other GOTY Edition games I've bought, it's probably just going to be Borderlands with another disk with all the DLC. Don't quote me, but I'm going to assume yes.
#50 Posted by blacklab (1599 posts) -

I really enjoyed Borderlands and two of the three DLC.  Looking forward to another reason to boot it up in the PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.