God Mode and Steam?

#1 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1702 posts) -

Will enabling God Mode in the .ini file get me a Steam ban? Now I know what your saying "But thats cheap" I know I just wanted to do a faster no hassle run before 2 drops.

#2 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

I've cheated the hell out of borderlands on steam for months on end and never had so much as a peep from them. So no.

#3 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1702 posts) -

@Jadeskye said:

I've cheated the hell out of borderlands on steam for months on end and never had so much as a peep from them. So no.

Thanks for the reply. good to know really don't need a Steam ban.

#4 Posted by wewantsthering (1586 posts) -

Just as long as you know deep down inside your soul that you're lame for doing it.

#5 Posted by Spuirrel (87 posts) -

I figure it would only be a problem if the game used VAC.

#6 Posted by Xolare (1284 posts) -

Cheats are client side. But if you host a co-op game, those cheats carry over.

#7 Posted by s10129107 (1188 posts) -

Cheating isnt really deplorable unless you use it to gain a competitive advantage.

#8 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1467 posts) -

Cheaters never prosper. I think.

#9 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1702 posts) -

@s10129107 said:

Cheating isnt really deplorable unless you use it to gain a competitive advantage.

This is true @Xolare said:

Cheats are client side. But if you host a co-op game, those cheats carry over.

My UL speed is too crappy to host anyway@Spuirrel said:

I figure it would only be a problem if the game used VAC.

I forgot about VAC specific listed games d'oh

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (15084 posts) -

Yeah, I don't think you should have an issue unless you take your game into coop.

#11 Edited by Tennmuerti (8170 posts) -

Modding and cheating in singleplayer is my god given PC gamer right. The line is drawn at competitive gaming.

I tweaked the hell out of the Borderlands .ini files. A lot of PC fixes and useful tweaks worked through them. As well as a launcher later on that did all those tweaks automatically (like fov, vsync, mouse acc. etc) also basically edited the ini on the fly. I have also modded the shit out of some guns after finishing the main game for the first time, to extend the fun (a 99 slot inventory saves a boatload of time and hassle too). Played a few games in co-op never had any issues with Steam in that regard.

So if you really want to just god mode through it, go for it.

My only advice would be that you could severely limit the fun of Borderlands by using something like godmode. Combat and loot are really the main reason for fun in this game, so removing them from the equation is kinda counter productive. You might finish the game faster but at a risk of having way less fun with it as things might get boring fast.

#12 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1702 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

Modding and cheating in singleplayer is my god given PC gamer right. The line is drawn at competitive gaming.

I tweaked the hell out of the Borderlands .ini files. A lot of PC fixes and useful tweaks worked through them. As well as a launcher later on that did all those tweaks automatically (like fov, vsync, mouse acc. etc) also basically edited the ini on the fly. I have also modded the shit out of some guns after finishing the main game for the first time, to extend the fun (a 99 slot inventory saves a boatload of time and hassle too). Played a few games in co-op never had any issues with Steam in that regard.

Totally agree, the line should only be drawn on competitive games. Thanks to everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.