How is the local co-op?

#1 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

Its on sale at the playstation store and I'm considering buying it to play with my brothers.

#2 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

I think local co-op is only two players. So if you have multiple brothers, you guys would have to take turns. Don't take my word for it, though - somebody needs to back me up here.

It's a total blast co-op, though. Difficulty ramps up nicely a couple hours in.

#3 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Local Co-op in borderlands is awesome. I played through the game a few times with three friends, two people on each xbox. Was a blast.

#4 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Its fantastic. Its what got me playing to begin with.

#5 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4680 posts) -

Not ideal.

#6 Edited by OtakuGamer (1239 posts) -

I thought the local co-op was bad, the inventory screen was so big that it covered the entire screen and more.

#7 Posted by SenorSausage (17 posts) -

@OtakuGamer: It does but if it's the only way you can play that game co-op it's manageable.

#8 Posted by MentalDisruption (1638 posts) -

It's as fun as online co-op, but online is preferable. The menus get messed up by the screen split and you end up having to scroll around them a lot, but if that doesn't bug you then you're good to go.

#9 Edited by Djratchet (669 posts) -

As mentioned, the menu stuff is a bit annoying, but otherwise it is cool. And yeah, splitscreen only works for 2 people. If you want a full 4 person party, you will need 4 ps3s and do it over a lan or online, which is honestly better, but not practical if you dont already have them.

If you end up digging the game, consider that Gearbox has said that Borderlands 2 will fix the splitscreen UI, and will allow two people playing on the same console to go and play online so you could have a full party. Cant wait for that.

#10 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

Alright thanks guys. Just one thing I'm confused about, how does splitscreen work? Does it have its own profile or does the second player chose a single player profile? And can I use the character that I use to play with my brother is singleplayer?

#11 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

@kashif1: They can make their own profile, and you can use your profile. The beauty of Borderlands is that everything carries over from single player to multiplayer and vice versa seamlessly.

#12 Posted by Unmada (68 posts) -

A couple friends and I did 3-player LAN co-op on PC's and it was a genuine hoot!

#13 Posted by huntad (1940 posts) -

The game does not run as smoothly on PS3 as it does on 360 - splitscreen or singleplayer. Find a way to try it before you buy it if you can. I had to return and rebuy it for 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.