Issues on the PC?

#1 Posted by zudthespud (3278 posts) -

Borderlands just went on sale on steam, I haven't played it yet and would love to give it a go, but I remember hearing one of the GB guys saying that Dave hated the PC version. Are there any serious game breaking issues with the PC version? 

thanks.

#2 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Game breaking? No. But it is very obvious it was ported over to the PC as far as the interface goes. Also, I'm sure the co-op is more fun and easier to get people together on Xbox Live. But if you're playing on STEAM that might be better.

#3 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

If you change the field of view through some config edits (they're simple, just google em) the experience becomes loads better.

#4 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

iirc the online connect was a little funny when it released but i think that's been patched up.

I couldn't play it solo though, its the kind of game that reflects the company you have.

#5 Posted by Zidd (1832 posts) -

The UI is unchanged from the console version. Use a controller if you value your sanity.

#6 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5236 posts) -

It plays just wonderful. I'm not too sure on the co-op as of now and whether or not they fixed that up, and also you'll have to deal with a goofy UI, but its definitely worth playing either way.

#7 Posted by Dipstick (547 posts) -

Yeah,it's a STRAIGHT port over. You have to use the arrow keys on the menu. ARROW KEYS! 

#8 Posted by Zidd (1832 posts) -

I think they fixed the broken multiplayer?

#9 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -

You can use the mouse in menus, and they partially fixed the connectivity, so it's still a hassle to play private games with friends.

#10 Edited by MattyFTM (14244 posts) -

I didn't have any issues with the PC version. It was very fun and ran brilliantly. It's well optimised and looks beautiful even on relatively less powerful rigs. There are a little bit of clunkiness with the interface, which makes it very obvious it was made for consoles and not PC, but it's nothing major or gamebreaking. At the price in the steam sale, it's well worth a purchase.

#11 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -

For the first couple weeks or so, there was no multiplayer, and you had to use a program called "Gameranger" to play online.  Other than that, like the others said, minor interface issues, but, nothing in the same universe as game-breaking.

#12 Posted by zudthespud (3278 posts) -

I really don't care about the UI, that's not what I'd call game breaking. I don't play my 360 any more, my PC runs games better for less so I don't really see the point. My xbox live ran out a few weeks ago and I didn't notice for days. The 360 version has some serious framerate issues also doesn't it?

Thanks for the quick replies.

#13 Edited by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -

They aren't gamebreaking but quite annoying.

VSYNC is an issue, you will manually have to enable it in a config. Same thing goes for the FOV. The biggest complaint I had was playing online required opening a lot of ports and it was quite laggy. I considered moving onto the 360 version but ultimately said I wasn't going to play it much anyway.

#14 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -
@zudthespud said:
" I really don't care about the UI, that's not what I'd call game breaking. I don't play my 360 any more, my PC runs games better for less so I don't really see the point. My xbox live ran out a few weeks ago and I didn't notice for days. The 360 version has some serious framerate issues also doesn't it? Thanks for the quick replies. "
If you don't mind the UI stuff, dive right in duder. The actual game runs well and controls pretty well (the vehicle navigation is eh, but that might be across all platforms).
#15 Posted by zudthespud (3278 posts) -
@Subject2Change said:
" They aren't gamebreaking but quite annoying.  VSYNC is an issue, you will manually have to enable it in a config. Same thing goes for the FOV. The biggest complaint I had was playing online required opening a lot of ports and it was quite laggy. I considered moving onto the 360 version but ultimately said I wasn't going to play it much anyway. "
was the online trouble with steam?
#16 Posted by Eisen (129 posts) -

I haven't had any problems and I just bought it on the PC a second time as it is cheaper for me to buy it again on steam with all DLC than it is to buy the DLC directly from Gearbox (and I avoid the horrible 5 machine activation limit doing so).  You can also use the 360 controller if you want on the PC if you have the adapter.

#17 Posted by Eisen (129 posts) -
@zudthespud: The online trouble is mostly due to Gamespy, which is not so good anymore.  It works, but not the best experience.
#18 Edited by Subject2Change (2965 posts) -
@zudthespud said:

" @Subject2Change said:

" They aren't gamebreaking but quite annoying.  VSYNC is an issue, you will manually have to enable it in a config. Same thing goes for the FOV. The biggest complaint I had was playing online required opening a lot of ports and it was quite laggy. I considered moving onto the 360 version but ultimately said I wasn't going to play it much anyway. "
was the online trouble with steam? "
Actually Borderlands was one of my first purchases through Steam that wasn't the orange box, so yes even through steam there was issues; same goes for Retail as well. However it wasn't steam related to my knowledge, it was due to specific ports Borderlands required to connect and allow others to connect to you.
#19 Posted by Jimbo (9711 posts) -

I thought it was excellent.  Don't even try to navigate the menus with the mouse though, because they made a shitty job of that - instead, use the keyboard in the same way that you would use a gamepad.

Also, there are no in-game AA options, but if you can force it through your graphics card it makes it look really sharp.

#20 Posted by DukeTogo (1505 posts) -
@Zidd said:
" The UI is unchanged from the console version. Use a controller if you value your sanity. "
Not being able to press a key to progress through menus, and said menus have buttons in different spots on the screen, and pop up regularly.  It does look pretty though, and a silky smooth framerate.
#21 Posted by FalconCritical (224 posts) -

Menus are fine, just hover over your choice with your mouse and use enter to select.  Especially useful for selling guns and such, because once you figure it out you can navigate through menus hella fast.

#22 Posted by radioactivez0r (808 posts) -

If you are playing an FPS on a PC and using a gamepad, there is no help for you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.