Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Lens of truth Borderlands comparison.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword
    http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=15982  

They gave the win to 360 because of faster loads, less screen tearing and because it had Bloom effects and other ones that were present in the PS3 version. But honestly, PS3 version looks more detailed and sharper. Apparently, a patch is coming the 30th to fix load times.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much difference between the two. I find that the PS3 version looks more Cel-shady, but the better lighting and effects in the 360 version give it more atmosphere. I don't really know which I like better. Also, the PS3 version doesn't have particle effects (Look at the picture of Roland on the bus)and it has a bit more jaggies... While the 360 version has a much softer look. Again I think the softer look had to do with the effects though. But if you look at the pictures of the camo gun and Dr. Zed, the textures come come up much nicer on the PS3. Overall I find the PS3 version to be more harsh and bold while the 360 version has more ambience, softness and feel to it. The picture with the two vending machines shows what 'm talking about.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

Cool, at least it's not a Wii hate thread. Rage on dudes.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By demonbear

Graphics wise, PC wins.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy
    @demonbear said:
    " Graphics wise, PC wins. "
    It was a console comparison. Obviously, since the game was built for the PC, it would look nicer depending on if you have the money to dish out for a good PC.
    killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By killdave
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=15982   They gave the win to 360 because of faster loads, less screen tearing and because it had Bloom effects and other ones that were present in the PS3 version. But honestly, PS3 version looks more detailed and sharper. Apparently, a patch is coming the 30th to fix load times. "
    Oh wow a Multiplatform game is better on the 360 ??

SHOCK HORROR 
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JoelTGM

woah that looks bad.  used to seeing it on the PC lol. 

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By killdave
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " woah that looks bad.  used to seeing it on the PC lol.  "
    Yeah the game looks much better when used with Microsoft Windows gaming
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scooper

The textures on the PS3 blow away the 360 at some spots but I think on balance I'd rather play this on the 360. It just looks nicer more of the time then the PS3 does. I'm still not happy with the framerate though, they should at least keep a stable 30 frames at all times.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ravensword

I dont find many differences. Its not like 2007 ports.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ajamafalous
    @xyzygy said:
    " since the game was built for the PC "
    I lol'd
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Milkman
    @xyzygy said:
    " @demonbear said:
     since the game was built for the PC "
    Lol, no, it wasn't.
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ieatlions
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " I dont find many differences. Its not like 2007 ports. "
    YEP! 
    kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By kwyee
    @demonbear said:

Yea I'm enjoying my PC version too.  Very sharp and high res with lots of pretty effects.  I'm glad they didn't go with a photo-realistic style or else we'd all be suffering way more.

But I'm still seeing tons of screen tearing.  Probably my ancient cpu is holding it back (Athlon 64 X2 3800+).  Anyways, I can't wait to get home and try this vsync solution.   It's annoying that this was not part of the video settings UI, but Borderlands' UI is pretty crap in general so I'm not terribly surprised :| 

Edit: I like the ps3's higher res textures (blu-ray win?) but load times would be super annoying.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I must say I have the PS3 version and it looks pretty good but damn the loading times are annoying.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy
    @Milkman said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @demonbear said:

Lol, no, it wasn't. "
    What are video games made on? PCs. If it's made on PCs, and transferred onto a DVD for use on a PC, chances are it will have the best quality on a PC. Duh this is common sense, and it's why every game that is on the PC is usually the higher end version. 

Also, here is a direct quote from Randy Pitchford: 

" The first thing is that we author our content on the PC. With Borderlands, we're not porting the game to the PC, we're starting there." 

So yes, it was actually made for the PC. 

If you still don't believe me here's the link.  http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/randy_pitchford_talks_borderlands_piracy_and_why_he_doesn’t_trust_valve
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Milkman
    @xyzygy: Just because a game is made on a PC doesn't mean it's made for the PC. You can clearly see that Borderlands was made for consoles from the fact that the PC version came out a week later and that the menus on the PC version are straight from the console versions. That and GameSpy? Really?

Not saying that the PC is an inferior version but consoles were the clear priority.
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By empfeix
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Milkman said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @demonbear said:

Lol, no, it wasn't. "
    What are video games made on? PCs. If it's made on PCs, and transferred onto a DVD for use on a PC, chances are it will have the best quality on a PC. Duh this is common sense, and it's why every game that is on the PC is usually the higher end version. 

Also, here is a direct quote from Randy Pitchford: 

" The first thing is that we author our content on the PC. With Borderlands, we're not porting the game to the PC, we're starting there." 

So yes, it was actually made for the PC. 

If you still don't believe me here's the link.  http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/randy_pitchford_talks_borderlands_piracy_and_why_he_doesn’t_trust_valve "
    lol ya sure, totally a console port (still like it though) - pitchford lied.  You would know this if you actually played the PC version.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
    @Milkman: Consoles were obviously not the clear priority if Mr. Pitchford himself states that the PC was... 

@empfeix: Why the hell would he lie about something so trivial? Are you saying it's "made for consoles" because of controls, or certain elements of gameplay? We're talking about the hardware - not gameplay - and the man said himself that the game is optimized for PC because it was made with PC in mind first. I don't understand how he could "lie" about this.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By demonbear
    @xyzygy: Pitchford can say what he wants, the guy talks a lot anyway. Fact is, this interface was clearly built for consoles and BARELY adapted for the mouse and keyboard. Play it, you'll see. The menus are clunky, and some of the options are not even clickable, we have to hit enter. This game is a console game that looks better on the pc.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy
    @demonbear: Just because a PC game doesn't meet the typical standards of what gamers have become familiar with doesn't mean it should belong in a separate category. Are developers not allowed to do something different? Besides, as I've said before, I'm talking about hardware, nothing to do with gameplay. The menus, clickable options, mouse and keyboard, etc are all gameplay aspects while the whole point of this thread is a comparison in graphics. You said that it looks better on PC, I said because it was made for the PC - which is why high end PCs can run the game very well. The article posted by the OP doesn't compare any gameplay aspects, only graphics
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By demonbear

Whatever bro, pc wins. /thread.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ravensword
    @demonbear: 

Nobody gives a shit. thats not what this thread is about. its about the console versions.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By natetodamax

This is interesting. Overall, the Xbox 360 version just looks better, but the close of textures and details are much better looking on the PS3.

Sh0velMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sh0velMan

The game 's entire art style is based around using "concept art" as textures and a direct interpretation thereof for everything else.  

To say that the Xbox version wins simply because it has more effects...is asinine. 

The bloom and ambient occlusion effects add nothing to the game but some flash, (I would bet) purely to distract the eye from the over-compressed, down-mixed textures they're forced to use.  

The game's superior platform, say what you will about interface quibbles (just because it shares interface elements with the consoles doesn't mean the game wasn't built for the pc first and adapted later, btw, interface stuff like that is some of the last stuff developed after the core tech), is the PC, followed by  the PS3 and then the Xbox360. 

It is disappointing that the framerates are so low in the console versions, I'm inclined to believe that that is a failure in optimization on the part of the developers. 

(Played it on PC and PS3)

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy
    @Sh0velMan: There's more to it than effects.

On the positives for each system, The only thing the PS3 did better was textures. The 360 had better framerate, load times, more detailed shadows, less tearing, SSAO and Bloom. On top of that, there isn't a required install which is supposed to help the game run better on PS3.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MeierTheRed

Really this shit again, seriously who gives a poo what platform was lead? i know i don't. Pick your system buy it for that, play it, enjoy it. 

You want best graphics buy it for Windows. You want it on a console, well you have two options one that has less framerate issues and tearing, or one that has higher textures. 

Take your pick and shut up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.