Levelling/XP Question

#1 Posted by Stealthoneill (249 posts) -

Jumping in to Borderlands after the recent Steam sale I began with a soldier and went out in to the world of Pandora to see what all the fuss is about. So far, just under two hours in, the game has been great. A refreshing change of pace from all the other FPS games that flood the market and I'm loving the RPG elements.

Back when I first started the game I was getting a certain amount for killing things. I came out from just killing Nine Toes and I noticed a severe drop in the XP I'm getting from things that I kill, some of the Skags are only giving 1xp after a kill and I'm wondering - Is this normal and something that has happened due to my level (Currently, I'm level 7) or is this something else? I didn't see an explanation in game so it has got me wondering!

Thanks in advance!

#2 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

Yeah that's normal, one level makes a lot of difference in the game.

#3 Edited by MattyFTM (14384 posts) -

If you're killing enemies that are a long way below your level, you'll only get 1xp per kill. It's to stop people from grinding levels by slaughtering hordes of low leveled enemies.

#4 Posted by Stealthoneill (249 posts) -

Ah, I figured it would be something like that. Thanks for the clarification guys! Would have thought they would have put that up front to keep people moving forward!

#5 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Yes, this is normal. You are higher level than those Skags (I think they're around level 2) so you won't receive any XP (Or a drastically lower amount) because they're not really a threat to you anymore. It's like in MMO games.

Also, if I remember correctly, Quests are colored. Much like in World of Warcraft. Red means way above you (Highly dangerous), Orange means it's doable, but very difficult (Not in all cases), Yellow is around your level, Green is slightly below you and Grey is way below your level. I don't think names of the monsters/enemies are colored in such manner, but you should be able to figure out what are you facing if you compare your level to theirs.

#6 Posted by Stealthoneill (249 posts) -

@valrog: Thanks! I did notice that the quests have a level and colour when I just opened up the "Job Board" and most are now saying level 10 when I'm only seven. Guess I'll have to be careful when taking them on then!

So, if the game doesn't want you to grind out levels, what's the best way to build up you level to keep up keep your character built to a level where you can keep moving forward?

#7 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Stealthoneill: Just follow the quests and you should be able to progress just fine. Though some boss quests are insane (I forgot his name, but he's an early boss and spams you with grenades) I found the best way to go back and kill some bosses I defeated earlier (And get a lot of loot that I can sell). If you are left behind for some reason and you have no quests available (That you can complete that is), just kill monsters in your level range until you can proceed. Though I would say the game is pretty balanced when it comes to progression.

Note: I'm playing alone, so some things might change if there are more people playing with you.
#8 Posted by blacklab (1554 posts) -

@valrog said:

Yes, this is normal. You are higher level than those Skags (I think they're around level 2) so you won't receive any XP (Or a drastically lower amount) because they're not really a threat to you anymore. It's like in MMO games. Also, if I remember correctly, Quests are colored. Much like in World of Warcraft. Red means way above you (Highly dangerous), Orange means it's doable, but very difficult (Not in all cases), Yellow is around your level, Green is slightly below you and Grey is way below your level. I don't think names of the monsters/enemies are colored in such manner, but you should be able to figure out what are you facing if you compare your level to theirs.

If you see an enemy with a skull above his head, run. That means he's way above your level.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.