MP trolls suck, but they're better than Borderlands randoms.

Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

So, I was playing L4D on PC (if you want to play with me, Steam ID is colonelpopcorn) and some guy/gal whose name was " ". Seriously, he/she had no name, and it was late in the 4th map of the Dead Air campaign that he/she joined. Dude started shootin' me up, and I hated it, cause person killed us all and screwed me out of my complete the campaign achievement. Whatever, I'm not that mad, in fact it was a little amusing. I would much rather have people who are committed to being trolls rather than people who aren't committed to anything.

Yeah, this is where Borderlands randoms come in. Although, more a product of its design, it still is a glaring flaw for me. With no direction, order, or need for communication, things fall apart quickly. So what you end up with is four different people pursuing their own quests, showing off random guns (probably modded), or just trolling by moving to different areas all the time. So you have a disorganized, obnoxious, unable-to-kill-anything-much-less-Crawermax mess of a crackpot squad.

*sigh* What I'm trying to get at is: I don't mind teamkillers, griefers, ninjas, leechers, etc. if they're passionate about what they do. Oh, and I totally need someone to help me through the Secret Armory of General Knoxx. Oh, and developers shouldn't punish people for playing single-player. Oh, and if anyone wants to play L4D (1&2), you can add me on Steam.

GT: c0l0nelp0pc0rn1
Steam ID: colonelpopcorn

#1 Posted by StarFoxA (5144 posts) -

I met one cool guy on Xbox Live who gave me some sweet (probably modded) guns.

#2 Posted by lilman1101 (1063 posts) -

I barely play online games now, pisses me off too much.

#3 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -
@StarFoxA:  That's another one of the reasons I hate randoms.
#4 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

I honestly can't remember the last time I played Borderland online. I always just do single player. It's stress free baby.

#5 Posted by lewigi2012 (49 posts) -

I think I played Borderlands once online and that was with a newly created character so we were all low level. I just got a few trophies done and then left as I was starting to not enjoy the fact I had to work with three people who I didn't know and had no communication with.

#6 Edited by Tricks73r (252 posts) -

Borderlands was one of my favorite experiences of the year. That being said, games that give me a distinct looting feel (Diablo 1 and 2, for example), are best kept single player for me. I enjoyed being alone in the wasteland; and during the brief moments where I was accompanied by a few buddies, I felt this weird "We're doing things my way!" vibe going on, with a little "ME FIRST!!", that I've never really experienced before. 

This, and mainly this, is why I don't play any MMOs.

Before you guys freak out, I know that Borderlands isn't an MMO.

#7 Posted by eccelex (33 posts) -

multiplayer borderlands with randoms, in my experience, sucks. on the other hand, the friends i play it with make the experience so damn boring since they either insist on analysing EVERY SINGLE LOOT DROP or they just completely ignore what's happening outside of shooting things that show up on screen. so i either have to put up with checking on my partner(s) to find him(/them) staring at the ground or hearing "so what are we supposed to be doing again?" every 5 damn minutes 
>_<

i never play co-op games with randoms anymore. RE 5 was definitely the last straw

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.