Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

The Problem of Original Games, Sequels, and Franchises

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

or Why I Prefer the Safe Bet

I love original and fun video games, but original and fun video games cease to be

called original they moment they are declared successful. Because successful games, though

they might be fun and original, are what developers actually develop (or try to develop)

all the time. I bring this up because many are feeling bitter towards Modern Warfare 2,

Halo 3: ODST, Guitar Hero 5, The Beatles: Rock Band, etc. for pushing many releases such as

Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Red Dead Redemtion, and even some

original titles such as Bayonetta, Heavy Rain, and Singularity. However, we should not

feel resentment towards Call of Duty as a franchise, because it was also once a new IP at

one time. You as the consumer have voted with you dollar, and have reaped what you have

sown, so quit your whining. However, if you did not vote with your dollar, you still don't

have right to complain. "But Popcorn, what ever do you mean? I didn't vote with my dollar,

why should I suffer the delay <Insert Game Here> because of another games overhyped

success?" to you I say, "Well, its simple really. With <Insert Game Here>'s delay many more

people will be able vote with their dollar after the crowded holiday season on <Insert Game

Here>, which will in turn fund the publisher and developer to make sequels to <Insert Game

Here>." In short original IPs, if they are successful or if there is enough demand for a

sequel, there usually is one. Franchises like Left 4 Dead, Warcraft, Guitar Hero Halo, Call

of Duty, Half-Life, Diablo, Metroid, Mega Man, and even such an old character as Mario all

started as an "original" concept.

I suppose this piece is turning into an economics paper, but before I delve more

into the effects of the dollar on franchises, let me state that I am uber-excited for a

single "original" game this year. A little game called Borderlands caught my eye in a Game

Informer cover story. With words like millons of guns being thrown against bold statements

of "diablo meets halo" I just couldn't wait until I could start tearing it up on the planet

of Pandora. That was in September of 2007, with the launch promised for a Christmas 2008

release, then Tuesday, March 11, 2008 it was reported by Kotaku* that Borderlands would

move to sometime in 2009. I was a little disappointed, but by then Fallout 3 had been

shown, and I was uber-stoked for that. I've yet to pick up Fallout 3 for several reasons,

(waiting till I was at the appropriate age, money, not having played the previous games,

Game of the Year Edition, etc.) but at the time I was foaming at the mouth for Fallout 3.

The release date for Fallout 3 came and went, though, with nary a wink from my eye. I had

chosen a different game that year, Mercenaries 2, which needless to say was not my favorite

game of all time. Why would I choose such an obvious stinker for my Game of the Year

(literally, the only new release I bought in 2008 was Mercs 2)? Well, I had played and

thourougly enjoyed the first Mercenaries, and wanted to see a sequel. Obviously, I was

disappointed, not because Mercs 2 was a bad game, but because Mercs 2 didn't capture the

feel or fun of the first game. Games create personal opinions, and personal opinons have a

nasty way developing nostalgia. Nostalgia in turn, will color ones judgement of the other

games in the franchise, for good or for ill. Which is why I wanted Mercs 2 (aside from the

upbeat ad campaign song), my judgement of the first game colored my judgement for the 2nd

game. Which now brings me to Borderlands (in a roundabout sort of way), the only way of

knowing if I should buy this game or not is only my judgement, (albeit colored by my

judgement of other games, ad campaigns, and prerelease footage) and not nostalgiac value.

Because I've been judging the game on its own merits, I've determined that this is where I

want to put my 60 bucks. Although, I haven't gotten to the bit about why I prefer the safe

bet. Which is why I'm going to another paragraph.

So, why do I like the safe bet? Because its safe, I know I won't waste my money on

a crap game. At least, it used to be that way, most things are popular because they are

good. Everything else thats popular is popular because the people who buy the not good, but

popular thing are stupid. I know its a cliched argument, but I believe its true, case in

point the Twilight book series (to be fair, that's more of a case of 'sex sells' than an

acute case of stupid). So when a franchise that is critically acclaimed and popular its

usually something I like to look into. When said popular (but still good) franchise butts

into a holiday release calendar with all the fanfare of the second coming, don't forget

that a lot of these franchises (COD, Diablo, Warcraft, Guitar Hero, Halo, etc.) started out

just the same as a lot the original titles of today. So, peace out, have fun with whatever

game(s) you'll be snuggling up to this holiday season, and I hope to see you online.

If you liked this article/editorial/economics paper/rant go ahead and comment and tell me

what you liked about it. I'll be doing an unboxing of Borderlands, and a review (if I get

it, appropriateness may play a role in getting it for me) on my youtube channel.

www.youtube.com/c0l0nelp0pc0rn

Sources:

*http://kotaku.com/366619/borderlands-delayed-to-2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

or Why I Prefer the Safe Bet

I love original and fun video games, but original and fun video games cease to be
    called original they moment they are declared successful. Because successful games, though
    they might be fun and original, are what developers actually develop (or try to develop)
    all the time.  I bring this up because many are feeling bitter towards Modern Warfare 2,
    Halo 3: ODST, Guitar Hero 5, The Beatles: Rock Band, etc. for pushing many releases such as
    Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Red Dead Redemtion, and even some
    original titles such as Bayonetta,  Heavy Rain, and Singularity. However, we should not
    feel resentment towards Call of Duty as a franchise, because it was also once a new IP at
    one time. You as the consumer have voted with you dollar, and have reaped what you have
    sown, so quit your whining. However, if you did not vote with your dollar, you still don't
    have right to complain. "But Popcorn, what ever do you mean? I didn't vote with my dollar,
    why should I suffer the delay <Insert Game Here> because of another games overhyped
    success?" to you I say, "Well, its simple really. With <Insert Game Here>'s delay many more
    people will be able vote with their dollar after the crowded holiday season on <Insert Game
    Here>, which will in turn fund the publisher and developer to make sequels to <Insert Game
    Here>." In short original IPs, if they are successful or if there is enough demand for a
    sequel, there usually is one. Franchises like Left 4 Dead, Warcraft, Guitar Hero Halo, Call
    of Duty, Half-Life, Diablo, Metroid, Mega Man, and even such an old character as Mario all
    started as an "original" concept.

I suppose this piece is turning into an economics paper, but before I delve more
    into the effects of the dollar on franchises, let me state that I am uber-excited for a
    single "original" game this year. A little game called Borderlands caught my eye in a Game
    Informer cover story. With words like millons of guns being thrown against bold statements
    of "diablo meets halo" I just couldn't wait until I could start tearing it up on the planet
    of Pandora. That was in September of 2007, with the launch promised for a Christmas 2008
    release, then Tuesday, March 11, 2008 it was reported by Kotaku* that Borderlands would
    move to sometime in 2009. I was a little disappointed, but by then Fallout 3 had been
    shown, and I was uber-stoked for that. I've yet to pick up Fallout 3 for several reasons,
    (waiting till I was at the appropriate age, money, not having played the previous games,
    Game of the Year Edition, etc.) but at the time I was foaming at the mouth for Fallout 3.
    The release date for Fallout 3 came and went, though, with nary a wink from my eye. I had
    chosen a different game that year, Mercenaries 2, which needless to say was not my favorite
    game of all time. Why would I choose such an obvious stinker for my Game of the Year
    (literally, the only new release I bought in 2008 was Mercs 2)? Well, I had played and
    thourougly enjoyed the first Mercenaries, and wanted to see a sequel. Obviously, I was
    disappointed, not because Mercs 2 was a bad game, but because Mercs 2 didn't capture the
    feel or fun of the first game. Games create personal opinions, and personal opinons have a
    nasty way developing nostalgia. Nostalgia in turn, will color ones judgement of the other
    games in the franchise, for good or for ill. Which is why I wanted Mercs 2 (aside from the
    upbeat ad campaign song), my judgement of the first game colored my judgement for the 2nd

game. Which now brings me to Borderlands (in a roundabout sort of way), the only way of
    knowing if I should buy this game or not is only my judgement, (albeit colored by my
    judgement of other games, ad campaigns, and prerelease footage) and not nostalgiac value.
    Because I've been judging the game on its own merits, I've determined that this is where I
    want to put my 60 bucks. Although, I haven't gotten to the bit about why I prefer the safe
    bet. Which is why I'm going to another paragraph.

So, why do I like the safe bet? Because its safe, I know I won't waste my money on
    a crap game. At least, it used to be that way, most things are popular because they are
    good. Everything else thats popular is popular because the people who buy the not good, but
    popular thing are stupid. I know its a cliched argument, but I believe its true, case in
    point the Twilight book series (to be fair, that's more of a case of 'sex sells' than an
    acute case of stupid). So when a franchise that is critically acclaimed and popular its
    usually something I like to look into. When said popular (but still good) franchise butts
    into a holiday release calendar with all the fanfare of the second coming, don't forget
    that a lot of these franchises (COD, Diablo, Warcraft, Guitar Hero, Halo, etc.) started out
    just the same as a lot the original titles of today. So, peace out, have fun with whatever
    game(s) you'll be snuggling up to this holiday season, and I hope to see you online.

If you liked this article/editorial/economics paper/rant go ahead and comment and tell me
    what you liked about it. I'll be doing an unboxing of Borderlands, and a review (if I get
    it, appropriateness may play a role in getting it for me) on my youtube channel.

www.youtube.com/c0l0nelp0pc0rn

Sources: 
    *http://kotaku.com/366619/borderlands-delayed-to-2009

Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Pepsicolaboy

Hey dude, just finished reading your comment to my article/rant over on the borderlands page.  
    Thanks so much for your toughts mate. 

With regards to your post - I think the best response I can make is to outline my own planned purchases for q4.09/q1.10. Keeping in mind, as a med student, Im on one hell of a budget (fiscally and time-wise), so i'll only be purchasing around 3-4 games. 

I'll save you the trouble of even reading the list - They're ALL sequels

Case closed, I guess. Its one hell of a tough industry these days.  

Thanks for the article, really enjoyed it. 
    Sam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pepsicolaboy: And I'm sure that those are all gonna be quality games. I wrote this mainly because of people on forums (mostly GameFAQs) who are really whiny about MW2, and its star power. If you ever do get around to Borderlands, send me a FR on xbox live, and we'll play some. Otherwise, I'll see you online elsewhere?
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Good points you bring up there. I know that I have no right to, but I do feel a little resentment towards the Call of Duty series. But this isn't entirely because of the games success necessarily... it's more down to the fact that they feel like they can rip off every gamer in Britain by charging £10 more for a game than anyone else. I dislike the corporate powers in charge of the franchise more than I hate the franchise itself.

Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Pepsicolaboy

That would be great, add me on live - tag is: samlovesteph (which i suppose you could just get from looking at my profile, lol, i momentarily forgot how crazy good this site is. 

As far as borderlands goes, Im afraid to say that the game is either looking like a PC purchase or PS3 for me at the moment.

PC for the graphics, but no achievements/trophies ways on my mind.  PS3 because my best friend (who only has a PS3, something which actually happens in countries other than america, lol) is thinking about getting it and im pretty keen to play through it with him. Do you have a PS3? If so, send me your PSN tag and ill add you. 

If not - maybe we could round up a crew here on GB to play through the game together on xboxlive; something which would totally convince me to get the 360 version! 

Cheers dude. Look forward to another topic post from you.
    (Im not near my 360 for a couple of days, so dont be offended if I dont add you/accept your friend request straight away) 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.