Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Thoughts on Claptrap's New Robot Revolution

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I've been eagerly anticipating more Borderlands DLC for some time now, and with Claptrap's New Robot Revolution out today, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Now after having a few hours of time with it, I can honestly say that while I am enjoying it, something about it just doesn't feel right.  And before I go on, I should let everyone know that apparently, the development of this DLC was outsourced to Darkside Games, which explains a lot about what went "wrong" with the new content.

First, the good. The new environments are very well done and are pretty expansive, sometimes needlessly so, but are fun to explore and look real nice. The characters are also still great and have more than enough personality to make their purpose in the game world known. And of course, the humor is as strong as ever. There's a good amount of text and new dialogue, particularly that of the new trap-ified enemies, that got some good laughs out of me. 

However, not everything about it is great, and some of it comes off as downright lazy. For one, the mission design could not be more bland. Borderlands isn't exactly known for having a huge variety of missions, but compared the big step forward that GBX took with Knoxx, a lot of what you do in Revolution seems pretty bland and uninspired. There's a huge collection quest in it, similar to the "Braaaaains" quest line in Zombie Island, but instead of it being optional, it's part of the main quest and requires you to go more out of your way to grind for close to 400 clap-trap parts. Some of the other side quests I've encountered don't offer much outside of their humorous mission text.

Then there are the enemies. The claptraps themselves are fairly varied and fun to fight, but most of what you'll be fighting are the original game's enemies, only trap-ified. That means bandits, skags, and spiderants with robotic parts attached to them. Now while I don't really have a big problem with this, some people out there will. Even the Hyperion Guards seem to be Lance soldier re-skinned. Just be prepared for a lot of enemy recycling, including some of the game's boss fights. There at least appears to be a good amount of original bosses as well, however.

I'm not going to go on right now, since I plan on properly reviewing this. As I said, I'm still having fun with it...this is Borderland's we're talking about, after all. I still have a ways to go before I finish it, so these are just some initial impressions. Right now, it seems Revolution is just more of what Borderlands has already given us.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @OneKillWonder said:
    "Right now, it seems Revolution is just more of what Borderlands has already given us. "

Thats a good thing in my opinion. 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan  Online

Yeah, what I've read about it has been pretty mixed so far. That does seem cheap on GearBox's part to outsource it, but at least they didn't mangle it too badly, right?  

Not sure if I'll lay down the $10 for it, especially if the level cap increase is free. General Knoxx is the only one I paid for, and there are other things that I could spend $10 on (like Mass Effect 2 DLC). 

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
    @Bloodgraiv3: Never said it wasn't. But from what I've played, what this DLC has to offer pales in comparison to Knoxx, so many people are probably coming in to this with high expectations.
    Tiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Tiz

The worst thing at first feels to be that the enemies are rather low level for characters at level 61 (we are easily clearing parts of maps separately in co-op and there is no need to stick together). Also it is a bit depressing that the level cap raise is coming only after a few weeks. This dlc will either be completed by then, or we have to stop playing at some point because our levels will be too low compared to the enemies (if there even are enemies with higher levels).

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

In order for CNRR to scale up to level 61, you must have completed the Crawmerax quest, otherwise it will start at around level 56-57. Pretty lame, I know. The only character I have defeated Crawmerax with is my Siren, which I am not using to play through this the first time. I can't be bothered to try and beat that fucker anymore with my soldier. It's just not fun, so I'm settling with playing it overleveled for now.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @Bloodgraiv3 said:
    " @OneKillWonder said:
    "Right now, it seems Revolution is just more of what Borderlands has already given us. "
     Thats a good thing in my opinion.  "
    This.

I'm going to get it when they raise the level cap in that free patch next month.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By natetodamax

I do love Borderlands but I'll probably save my 830 points for Halo: Reach DLC.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FritzDude

It's all about the builds 'n loots man. And right now you cannot Level up to 69, so thats my major concern about this whole DLC.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I've noticed that many of the achievements in this DLC are bugged now. I should have gotten all of the secret achievements by now, but none of them have unlocked. I've also been hearing that the collectible achievements aren't unlocking, either. Hopefully they can get this fixed soon.

Turkfinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Turkfinn
    @OneKillWonder:  You don't get the secret achievements till the end of the DLC.  I thought the same thing as you until I hit that point.
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
    @Turkfinn:  Oh alright, thanks. That's kind of strange, though.
    Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ravenousrattler

the only thing i'm not lovin about the new dlc is that the patch isn't out yet. So much xp wasted.

Tiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tiz
    @OneKillWonder said:
    " In order for CNRR to scale up to level 61, you must have completed the Crawmerax quest, otherwise it will start at around level 56-57. Pretty lame, I know. The only character I have defeated Crawmerax with is my Siren, which I am not using to play through this the first time. I can't be bothered to try and beat that fucker anymore with my soldier. It's just not fun, so I'm settling with playing it overleveled for now. "
    Hmm. Didn't know that. My idea was that we could get a couple of more levels and some better gear and then kill crawmerax. We play co-op with only two players, and trying to kill crawmerax (and failing badly) didn't feel like the best use of our time.. Well I guess we now have until the patch to get it done..
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That's a bit of a disappointment to read, I hoped this to be as grand as Knox.
    Well, here's hope for Borderlands 2 where they don't abandon the current cast.
    Borderlands ain't Borderlands without Mad Moxxi, Scooter, Marcus or any of the vault hunters.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti

I'm just waiting till the patch is out before buying the DLC.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
    @buckybit:  I already said that I was planning on reviewing it properly and those were just my initial impressions, as I was trying to reserve final judgment until I've finished it. I thought I made that pretty clear when I stated those exact things in my original post.

Now that I've played through almost the entire thing, my view of it hasn't changed much.  There's a reason I put "wrong" in quotes like I did, because I would hardly call what CNNR has to offer "bad". But there is a lot about it's structure that feels slapped together, and it often feels like it doesn't take full advantage of it's design or concept, and I don't think it's unfair or unreasonable to think that that's at least partially due to the fact that it was made by a team with no previous developing experience with Borderlands. Still, I think Dark Side games have done a commendable job with giving BL players more of what they love, but to say that this isn't a couple of steps back from General Knoxx would be foolish. I, like many others, had pretty heightened expectations after Knoxx, and with good reason. Knoxx was top quality almost front to back, and Gearbox hyped the hell out of CNNR and explicitly stated that it was bigger and better than any of their previous DLC, without so much as a whisper that it wasn't even developed in-house. Of course, that's just the usual PR marketing buzz, but I can't really blame anyone for buying into it. And I'm sure that mentioning that this was not technically a Gearbox product wouldn't have exactly been too good for sales, either.

I'm the last person who would be prejudiced towards or uninformed about Borderlands, and I am hardly trying to gain any "amateurish writing experience" by posting this. Maybe I was a little too quick to criticize the DLC, and if by the time I finish it I feel any differently about what I have already stated, I will happily admit I was wrong and retract my statements, but seeing as I have maybe 2 or 3 quests left to do, I can't see that happening. It's not like regret spending the $10 on this in the least, and I don't think anyone should be deterred from buying it if they are on the fence.
    owenneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By owenneil

It was way to short, It took no time to blast through it. I spent more time running to the quest, then doing them.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

So I finally finished CNNR. I have to say, I really loved the ending, and the final boss is probably the best one of the entire game. It's not too hard, but if you aren't careful you could easily get your ass kicked fast. The ending seemed like good closure to the rest of the game, and Marcus' comment got me excited for a sequel.

oct_ONES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oct_ONES

Very short DLC and muuuch shorter than the General Knoxx DLC. During my whole playthrough i found no powerful weapons and only a handful of orange weapons that were inferior to the ones i already owned. I was kinda pissed when i finished some missions and was awarded useless exp and a shitty weapon that i would never use. If i remember correctly from the hype about the DLC there were supposed to be new weapons and 10 more skill points, so far i've only gotten 1 and that was for beating the final mission. The day before this DLC came out i was hyped about it but upon playing i was really disappointed and would not recommend it to anyone unless they want a few chuckles here and there or a less boring way to get to level 69.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
    @oct_ONES:  Well the info about there being actual new weapons and 10 new skill points was incorrect, and has been known as such for a pretty long time. Gearbox never said either of those were in the game, it just spread as if it were fact through various publications.

I don't know what to tell you about your weapon drops, though. It's all random. Throughout my entire playthrough, literally about 75% of what I found were purples and legendaries, most of them junk of course, but I came across a pretty good share of more powerful gear to use, including several of the best shotguns I've ever seen in the game, and a couple of incredibly powerful combat rifles. I haven't even defeated Crawmerax with that particular character, either, so I was underleveled for the entire thing.
    Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By shivermetimbers
    @owenneil said:
    " I spent more time running to the quest, then doing them. "

That's a big problem that ruined Knox for me. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.