Wait, what? What's the point of system link in Borderlands?

#1 Edited by xyzygy (9949 posts) -

So last night I brought my 360 over to a friends place because they wanted me to level them up a bit. We were gonna set up a system link game, with them two on their TV and me on mine. But when I go to start the match, only 1 person could join. I thought maybe we has set some settings wrong, so I tried again with different variation - I tried making the host console the console with 2 players, yet nothing. 

So let's just think about this... doesn't only allowing 1 player per console in a system link ruin the whole idea of a system link? If the game can be played in splitscreen then why can't you just join another game being played over splitscreen? The game has the ability the have 4 players in one world at once yet they're telling me I need 4 consoles and 4 TVs if I wanted to play system link with 4 players?

Someone please tell me if there's a workaround for this or if I'm missing something.
#2 Posted by 1337W422102 (1009 posts) -

To be fair, menus/maps/mission information/inventory screens are a pain in split screen.  But yeah, being unable to play it with four people while system linked doesn't really make sense.

#3 Posted by rhfb (21 posts) -

Wish I would have seen this sooner :| Tried to get a 4 person game going tonight with some friends and ran into the 1 per console problem. Ended up playing splitscreen for a bit and then put in other games with proper splitscreen/systemlink support. Wish more games would offer the feature.

#4 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2294 posts) -

Atleast it has split screen and system link capabilities. A lot of games don't have either.

#5 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

That's unfortunate.  My system linking experiences have been limited to Halo, which works really well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.