Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

We Played Borderlands

• 148 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

This guy seems pretty serious. Best aim for the head. 
    Borderlands is a relatively easy game to describe. It takes the character building and equipment hoarding of something like Diablo, gives it a quest style that makes it feel a bit like a massively multiplayer RPG, and drops it all into a first-person shooter. With a ton of guns. But that doesn't really tell you anything about how it all feels. As it happens, the feel of a game like this is a make-or-break piece of the puzzle. Because that same exact description could be used to describe Hellgate: London. That game? Not so good. The good news is that after sinking into a chair and shooting my way through the first 45 minutes or so of Gearbox's upcoming action-RPG, it definitely feels like it's on the right track.

I was dropped into the beginning of the game as a soldier class character. The game opens with a series of basic missions designed to get you into the game and used to its different systems. At the outset, you won't even have a weapon. That, of course, changes pretty quickly. As you get the feel for the action, you'll run out to collect items and repair shop machines that let you purchase your first defensive item, an auto-recharging, Halo-like shield. Eventually you'll get some grenades. Along the way, you'll be heading in and out of the game's first somewhat-civilized area, a makeshift town surrounded by bandits and skags, which are four-legged creatures that charge at you when you anger them. The game's enemies seem to behave in an MMO-like fashion, meaning if you get close enough to them (or shoot at them from a distance), they'll activate and come after you.

Speaking of shooting, the game's guns have a good feel to them, with a basic level of control that recalls the Call of Duty series by devoting the left trigger to a small and quick zoom that lets you sort of aim down the sights. Later, you'll also find scoped weapons that zoom in more effectively. You'll also have to continually pick up ammo, which is found around the world and frequently dropped by the enemies you kill. While the guns generally feel like you're playing a regular first-person shooter, the game still has plenty of RPG hooks in it, too. So where and how you aim your shots won't always correspond to hits in those locations. But moments of aiming right at an enemy's head only to pull the trigger and see a miss seemed few and far between. Also, you'll earn weapon proficiencies as play with specific types of guns, which seems like the sort of thing that would help make you more deadly with the weapon types you're loyal to, like pistols versus rifles. When you land hits on your foes, numbers of hit points bounce off of them in the traditional RPG style, with a life bar also giving you a rough indicator of how much more damage you'll need to inflict. When getting up close to enemies, I seemed to be landing critical hits more frequently. As I leveled up through the first five levels of experience, those crits became enough to take the head off of a skag in one shot.

During your quest for the vault, you'll find guns. Lots of guns. 
    In addition to shooting and weapon proficiencies, you'll also be filling out a skill tree as you play. It starts at level five, when you get your first skill point. You'll earn one skill point per level after that. The first point seems to go into unlocking the secondary ability for your class. For the soldier class, that's a turret with an energy shield surrounding it, providing mobile cover and a handy weapon, too. As you place points into the different disciplines for the class, you'll earn additional bonuses. For the soldier, that shield turret can eventually heal players when they stand close to the turret. It can also restore ammo when you're nearby. You can also put points into doing more damage with certain weapon types, and so on. Each of the four classes has a unique secondary ability and corresponding skill tree. Though I stuck with the soldier the entire time I played, you can also choose the ranger, which is a sniper class. There's also a "siren" class, which gives you a female character that can trigger a phase walk ability that lets her walk through enemies and deal damage to a group by materializing in their midst. Lastly, there's the berserker class, who earns the ability to dish out a devastating melee attack. The game allows for four-player co-op and uses the same characters in both modes, so you can take your character into and out of multiplayer games with ease. The different classes sound like they'll work together pretty well and fall into some standard MMO archetypes.  The berserker class, for example, acts as the tank in a group and will apparently have some options that let him draw aggro and get enemies to attack him instead of the other, less-resilient classes. Of course, you can mix and match players of the same class, too.

Borderlands obviously has a lot going on on the gameplay side, but there's more to it than shooting bandits in the face. The game's story puts you on a planet called Pandora, where one of the many weapon-manufacturing corporations has gotten an edge over the others by reverse engineering some alien technology. Now there are rumors of a vault hidden somewhere on Pandora that's full of even more crazy future alien tech. You play as a vault hunter, someone who believes in the legends and actively seeks out the vault. So you'll root around the planet in search of clues that will hopefully lead you to the vault while plenty of other fortune seekers (and a certain corporation with an interest in keeping its edge) attempt the same task.

In addition to the procedurally generated gun system, the other big thing people keep talking about with Borderlands is its graphics. The "concept art" style used in the game looks great so far, giving the game a very distinctive look while still allowing for a clean, smooth frame rate. Also, the game will apparently offer more variety in its locales than has been shown so far. Most of the stuff that Gearbox has revealed shows the wasteland areas that you'll see at the beginning of the game. But in talking with Gearbox's Randy Pitchford, I learned that the game will apparently offer quite a bit of environmental variety, including snow. Personally, I was expecting it to be all Mad Max, all the time. So hearing that the game will offer some different looks sounds cool.

While it's a bit tempting to claim that Borderlands could be the big surprise release of 2009, I don't think I'd be surprised at all if this game turned out to be great. So far, it looks nice and seems really fun to play. Look for more on this one as we all inch closer to its October 20 release date.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

Borderlands is a relatively easy game to describe. It takes the character building and equipment hoarding of something like Diablo, gives it a quest style that makes it feel a bit like a massively multiplayer RPG, and drops it all into a first-person shooter. With a ton of guns. But that doesn't really tell you anything about how it all feels. As it happens, the feel of a game like this is a make-or-break piece of the puzzle. Because that same exact description could be used to describe Hellgate: London. That game? Not so good. The good news is that after sinking into a chair and shooting my way through the first 45 minutes or so of Gearbox's upcoming action-RPG, it definitely feels like it's on the right track.

I was dropped into the beginning of the game as a soldier class character. The game opens with a series of basic missions designed to get you into the game and used to its different systems. At the outset, you won't even have a weapon. That, of course, changes pretty quickly. As you get the feel for the action, you'll run out to collect items and repair shop machines that let you purchase your first defensive item, an auto-recharging, Halo-like shield. Eventually you'll get some grenades. Along the way, you'll be heading in and out of the game's first somewhat-civilized area, a makeshift town surrounded by bandits and skags, which are four-legged creatures that charge at you when you anger them. The game's enemies seem to behave in an MMO-like fashion, meaning if you get close enough to them (or shoot at them from a distance), they'll activate and come after you.

Speaking of shooting, the game's guns have a good feel to them, with a basic level of control that recalls the Call of Duty series by devoting the left trigger to a small and quick zoom that lets you sort of aim down the sights. Later, you'll also find scoped weapons that zoom in more effectively. You'll also have to continually pick up ammo, which is found around the world and frequently dropped by the enemies you kill. While the guns generally feel like you're playing a regular first-person shooter, the game still has plenty of RPG hooks in it, too. So where and how you aim your shots won't always correspond to hits in those locations. But moments of aiming right at an enemy's head only to pull the trigger and see a miss seemed few and far between. Also, you'll earn weapon proficiencies as play with specific types of guns, which seems like the sort of thing that would help make you more deadly with the weapon types you're loyal to, like pistols versus rifles. When you land hits on your foes, numbers of hit points bounce off of them in the traditional RPG style, with a life bar also giving you a rough indicator of how much more damage you'll need to inflict. When getting up close to enemies, I seemed to be landing critical hits more frequently. As I leveled up through the first five levels of experience, those crits became enough to take the head off of a skag in one shot.

In addition to shooting and weapon proficiencies, you'll also be filling out a skill tree as you play. It starts at level five, when you get your first skill point. You'll earn one skill point per level after that. The first point seems to go into unlocking the secondary ability for your class. For the soldier class, that's a turret with an energy shield surrounding it, providing mobile cover and a handy weapon, too. As you place points into the different disciplines for the class, you'll earn additional bonuses. For the soldier, that shield turret can eventually heal players when they stand close to the turret. It can also restore ammo when you're nearby. You can also put points into doing more damage with certain weapon types, and so on. Each of the four classes has a unique secondary ability and corresponding skill tree. Though I stuck with the soldier the entire time I played, you can also choose the ranger, which is a sniper class. There's also a "siren" class, which gives you a female character that can trigger a phase walk ability that lets her walk through enemies and deal damage to a group by materializing in their midst. Lastly, there's the berserker class, who earns the ability to dish out a devastating melee attack. The game allows for four-player co-op and uses the same characters in both modes, so you can take your character into and out of multiplayer games with ease. The different classes sound like they'll work together pretty well and fall into some standard MMO archetypes.  The berserker class, for example, acts as the tank in a group and will apparently have some options that let him draw aggro and get enemies to attack him instead of the other, less-resilient classes. Of course, you can mix and match players of the same class, too.

Borderlands obviously has a lot going on on the gameplay side, but there's more to it than shooting bandits in the face. The game's story puts you on a planet called Pandora, where one of the many weapon-manufacturing corporations has gotten an edge over the others by reverse engineering some alien technology. Now there are rumors of a vault hidden somewhere on Pandora that's full of even more crazy future alien tech. You play as a vault hunter, someone who believes in the legends and actively seeks out the vault. So you'll root around the planet in search of clues that will hopefully lead you to the vault while plenty of other fortune seekers (and a certain corporation with an interest in keeping its edge) attempt the same task.

In addition to the procedurally generated gun system, the other big thing people keep talking about with Borderlands is its graphics. The "concept art" style used in the game looks great so far, giving the game a very distinctive look while still allowing for a clean, smooth frame rate. Also, the game will apparently offer more variety in its locales than has been shown so far. Most of the stuff that Gearbox has revealed shows the wasteland areas that you'll see at the beginning of the game. But in talking with Gearbox's Randy Pitchford, I learned that the game will apparently offer quite a bit of environmental variety, including snow. Personally, I was expecting it to be all Mad Max, all the time. So hearing that the game will offer some different looks sounds cool.

While it's a bit tempting to claim that Borderlands could be the big surprise release of 2009, I don't think I'd be surprised at all if this game turned out to be great. So far, it looks nice and seems really fun to play. Look for more on this one as we all inch closer to its October 20 release date.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

Nice to know more about this thanks jeff :)

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cincaid

Wow, nice stuff!

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By gingertastic_10

This WILL be the first game I ever preorder.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ch3burashka

I was really hoping for some video. Oh well, looks cool, can't wait.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Trilogy

I really want to see a quick look on this ass soon as you guys are allowed to do one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab39e03e3e52
    deactivated-5ab39e03e3e52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

video? please...

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Alphazero

I just pre-ordered Modern Warfare 2 (sorry, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2) and Assassins Creed 2... looks like I'll need to add this to the list shortly.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

multiplayer? i wonder how that will turn out. the single player is definitely looking great so far.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Pie

The first proper honest preveiw ive read about Borderlands. Thanks Jeff

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Jimbo7676

Sounds awesome.

AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AndrooD2

I really, REALLY want this game to be a good one. Jeff still seems generally positive, but two things that he wrote worry me:

1)"...it definitely feels like it's on the right track."
    Sounds to me as though he's implying that it's good, but still needs improvement. This game's been in development for a long time and it's releasing in three months. How much can change really?

and

2)"...where and how you aim your shots won't always correspond to hits in those locations."
    This was one of the things that I disliked about the gun-play in Mass Effect and was happy to see changed for ME2. I feel that a shooter - even an RPG/Shooter - simply has to have location specific damage to feel right.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Thanks a lot for this. Borderlands looks absolutely incredible.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jimbo

So it works kinda like VATS but without stopping and seeing percentages?

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By stinky

so the class system seems be picking the character you want to play, ie if you want to be the ranger you will always look like X.

interested in finding out how this game really differs from Fallout 3. one of Fallout's problems (according to me) is the lack of a social system like we've seen in Bioware games. NPCs in Fallout are pretty lifeless and compared to something like Mass Effect. I'm hoping Borderlands has more emotive characters.

Izick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Izick

This looks brilliant!

Nat3TheGreat13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nat3TheGreat13

Can't wait for this game!

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Nice write up, I've already been optimistic about this game. You've only fueled that fire, Jeff. 

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zabant

FUCKING STOKED!

Bald3rdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bald3rdash

Looking forward to this game a lot, mixing my two favorite genres with a seemingly heavier weight on the FPS foot.  While Fallout also mixed FPS and RPG, it's focused more on the RPG side and the shooting didn't feel quite right - I'm hoping this game is different in that way. 

Avatar image for snoopeasystreet
    snoopeasystreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By snoopeasystreet

Game sounds awesome. I have a bad feeling that it won't sell though.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seedofpower

I'll wait for the review.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RedSox8933

I think that the art style is what appeals to me most, it's really beautiful in motion.

Avatar image for viklanderviking
    viklanderviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By viklanderviking

I know next to nothing about this game and its coming out in october? I hope they release some more information soon.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By mracoon

Very excited for this. I'd been looking forward to it for a while but after they changed the art style I became even more interested in the game.

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By _Phara0h_
    @AndrooD2: I have the same concerns you have, that is the problem with pre-views that editors tent to be less critical of the game as it might be resolved in the end product.... But It seems the RPG aiming seems definite, I didn't mind so much in Mass Effect but that game is not a shooter.... Also the graphics don't really look inviting to me.
    KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KnifeySpoony

Thanks for this, I've been excited for this for a while now. It's nice to see confirmation that it looks great.

Einherjar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Einherjar

ODST, Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age and now this. We're in for a nice autumn.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By stinky
    @AndrooD2: the aim/shooting thing is weird, again Fallout 3 i felt solved this well for a rpg shooter.

but Mass Effect was weird in that it gave you skill points for accuracy, yet also a cross hair.
    so its like whats going on? i either have the cross hairs where i want or i dont.
    ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By ht101

Man, there are too many good games coming out in Rocktober like Brutal Legend, Fallout 3 GOTY edition and some other games that I'm probably forgetting.  I wish I made more money so I'd be able to buy more games that are awesome.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By dudacles

Sounds cool, very cool.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#32  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm enthused for this one.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By superfriend

Now if only Gearbox would devote all their efforts to this game. Instead they´re doing like 3-4 games at the same time, which will have a negative effect on this game´s overall quality. I think this is going to be a little more polished than their last game (BiA: Hell´s Highway), but really, that one (especially the Multiplayer) wasn´t really all it could have been.

Ashen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ashen

This is a game that has been completely under my radar, well not so much anymore. This article definitely has me interested, and Jeff's excitement for this game is kind of making me pay more attention to it as well. Also, is it just me or is Gearbox just not showing this game to the public enough? I have seen maybe one trailer.

ZoDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By ZoDD

Thanks Gbomb and Jeff. 

I can't express how long I've waited for a title like this. With all of the new artwork, my feelings of joy can only be equaled by the defensive emotion to try and stop getting myself so hyped up ( which is a good thing).

.........However......  the following scares the shit out of me, and please, PLEASE, someone find out if this is truly the case :

"So where and how you aim your shots won't always correspond to hits in those locations"

If this were to be implemented, I have to say my dreams will be dashed.  It seems completely opposite to Randy's remarks on the G4 interview.

Please?

EDIT:  Here is what I was talking about.  Fast Forward to ~3 min mark.  He is extremely clear about it.

http://g4tv.com/videos/40115/Borderlands-Preview/

arnavdesai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By arnavdesai

I so want to play this game. I love shooter RPGs & after ME & Fallout, I just want more. Confirmed -- Day 1 purchase!! Is there a collectors edition for this game?

stan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By stan12

so, from what i understand, this game is basically Fallout 3??  Way to be original, Gearbox

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kohe321

Looks like it's going to be awesome!

bgbball31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bgbball31

Since this is my first comment and I haven't been on here very long, I'm not sure if they ever answer questions, but in case they do, how is the enemy AI? This has been on my radar fora  long time, so really looking forward to it and hope it turns out awesome.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Release it now! I want it now!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stan12 said:
    "so, from what i understand, this game is basically Fallout 3??  Way to be original, Gearbox"
    You didn't read any of it did you.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mordukai

I am still kinda skeptic about this game. I really liked the initial gritty look as t reminded me of Mad Max. The whole Cel-Shaded move kinda took 50% of the interest I had in the game and downgraded the game from a 'must buy' to a 'maybe, we'll see'. Now I am not saying I don't like cel-shaded  games,no. I just don't like it in this game. Ohh well, at least I still have RAGE to look forward to. 

GrindAxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GrindAxis

Not sure about this one. It depends on single-player length.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#44  Edited By Vinchenzo

Game looks bad.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DukeTogo
    @stan12 said:
    " so, from what i understand, this game is basically Fallout 3??  Way to be original, Gearbox "
    That reads like you didn't even skim the article, since it goes quite in-depth about how far away it is from Fallout 3.

Aside from the similar desert punk design of what's been shown, little else is similar to Fallout 3.  Fallout 3 itself isn't much more than Elder Scrolls with a different motif, so your reasoning is flawed from the get-go.

My only fear is that other games that tried this failed miserably, Hellgate: London and Too Human.   This looks like it takes the best and drops the worst parts of those games, so maybe it will find the sweet spot that this sub-genre has been looking for.
    Avatar image for deactivated-135098
    deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I love undefined-genre games, so I'm looking forward to this. The visuals sort of put me off kilt, though. I'm still not sure why Gearbox went with a cel-shaded style, other than for the sake of it (or to cover up a poorly executed game). But from this preview I doubt the snappy art style will merely be a hook. As long as it's a good game I won't care about the style.

Avatar image for starkravingmad31
    Starkravingmad31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Starkravingmad31

In the few videos I've seen, the "critical" hits have always resulted from headshots.  So it does look like there's some location-based hit detection in there.  Also, I remember an interview with Randy talking about one of the creatures having armor all over its front so you'd have to shoot it from the rear. 

Honestly, just the fact that it's FPS and not TPS (third-person) makes me a lot more confident in it's abilities as a shooter than Mass Effect.

zachariahus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By zachariahus

I really want to like this and have more interest in playing it than I currently do... and maybe that is compounded by the fact that I am knee-deep in another open world game featuring FPS-RPG gameplay in a drab, wasteland setting: Fallout 3. And I'm getting ready to borrow Mass Effect and plunge into that game too. eek!  I know it looks a lot different (btw: unique style is a plus) and it has Co-op and Bajillions of guns, and it seems to have some scenery variety as well (kudos). But, I don't think I can justify a $60 purchase after wearing out the genre for so long with Fallout 3. This game looks great, It's just not the right time for me I guess.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bubahula

thats awesome, this game is climbing up to the top of my most wanted list

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i was already excited for this game....

now im super excited i ant wait for October 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.