Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Where the hell did fast travel go?

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chuggsy

Ok, General Knox is fantastic DLC, except for one aspect. There's no fucking FAST TRAVEL. I've spent the majority of my time in the DLC driving from one side of the map to the other across those damn highways. How could they completely abandon a near essential part of the game? 

Me and my friend end up arguing whose going to drive back to the town, because it's so fucking tedious.

I'm not missing something, am I? I feel like I have to be, this is pretty ridiculous. I understand they want people to travel the highways, but then make us do it once, then have it optional. The driving in Borderlands isn't bad, but it's not something I want to have to do for a long period of time.

Anybody else being driven insane by this?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Captain_Insano

lol 'driven insane'

I appreciate the pun, be it intentional or unintentional.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Captain_Insano said:
    " lol 'driven insane'  I appreciate the pun, be it intentional or unintentional. "
    Ha! Me too. 
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Synthballs
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " @Captain_Insano said:
    " lol 'driven insane'  I appreciate the pun, be it intentional or unintentional. "
    Ha! Me too.  "
    hehehe nice
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Rhaknar

totally agree, i love the dlc, but i dont usually play for long stretches of time, like an hour or so, so with the dlc being really fucking hard and having huge stretches of road, it takes quite a while to do one or two quests... to then have to always start at T-Bone Junction everytime you restart the game really blows. Hell, I got to the prison (wont say anything else to not spoil), saved inside thinking "well im inside a new building zone, surely it will restart here"... no, no it didnt.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Rowr

padding ftl

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chuggsy
    @Rhaknar said:
    " totally agree, i love the dlc, but i dont usually play for long stretches of time, like an hour or so, so with the dlc being really fucking hard and having huge stretches of road, it takes quite a while to do one or two quests... to then have to always start at T-Bone Junction everytime you restart the game really blows. Hell, I got to the prison (wont say anything else to not spoil), saved inside thinking "well im inside a new building zone, surely it will restart here"... no, no it didnt. "
    God, yeah, that was terrible. My game crashed a few minutes into the prison, having to drive back really pissed me off. Just bad game design.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By gla55jAw

None of the Borderlands DLC have any fast travel stations. It's very annoying.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Synthballs said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " @Captain_Insano said:
    Ha! Me too.  "
    hehehe nice "
    I admit. I laughed.

I haven't tried the DLC yet but I assume they wanted players to use the vehicles more often hence no fast travel system.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax

There aren't any fast travel machines because they want you to spend as much time as possible in their DLC. It sucks, but that's business.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chuggsy
    @natetodamax said:
    " There aren't any fast travel machines because they want you to spend as much time as possible in their DLC. It sucks, but that's business. "
    Ugh, I hope that's not it. Why would they care? I bought the fucking thing.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By natetodamax
    @Chuggsy said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " There aren't any fast travel machines because they want you to spend as much time as possible in their DLC. It sucks, but that's business. "
    Ugh, I hope that's not it. Why would they care? I bought the fucking thing. "
    Well, if you could fast travel you would probably be able to complete everything in a few hours.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By jeff

To fast travel back to town, just quit your game and restart. I did that to cash in quests.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chuggsy
    @Jeff said:

" To fast travel back to town, just quit your game and restart. I did that to cash in quests. "

I would, but I'm playing online with a friend.  If I just quit and join his game again, I'll just spawn near him.  So he would have to quit, then rehost, which is a huge pain, though we might just end up doing that. Which is pretty terrible.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Supermarius

my guess is that there is a limitation in the borderlands dlc system that only allows them to assign one fast travel point to each dlc. My guess is that it is something they regret, but is hardcoded on the disk. They might not have realized they were going to make SA so big. I really dont think it was an intentional design decision, especially when you consider the number of save points and catch a ride machines.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Darkstar614

I'm pretty sure it's so people can't farm the good chests as easily. Thereby making the loot more valuable. The Racer can get you to the other sections of the map fairly quickly, and it's not that bad.

I'm sure a "Save and Quit" kind of option would have been nice for taking a break without having to go back out to the zone, but I'm sure someone would have found a way to exploit that as well.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By gla55jAw
    @Jeff said:
    " To fast travel back to town, just quit your game and restart. I did that to cash in quests. "
    Yeah I figured that one out. I wish I thought of it when I did the Zombie Island DLC though, they don't even have vehicles in that one.
    dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By dvdhaus

This was starting to annoy me as well.  But I think in order for them to add a fast travel...they would have to redo the existing system or add the letters DLC to all the add-on locations.  The fast travel list is all ready daunting...maybe they thought people would get more confused when say "The Sunken Sea" was added and refers to a place in the new DLC.  But on the Fast travel list it would go to the next spot on the list.  

I hope they can fix or condense the Fast travel system in the sequel...along with the map.  Why isn't there names on the map that tell me which transition I need to head to when there is no quest icon.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Chuggsy
    @dvdhaus said:
    " This was starting to annoy me as well.  But I think in order for them to add a fast travel...they would have to redo the existing system or add the letters DLC to all the add-on locations.  The fast travel list is all ready daunting...maybe they thought people would get more confused when say "The Sunken Sea" was added and refers to a place in the new DLC.  But on the Fast travel list it would go to the next spot on the list.    I hope they can fix or condense the Fast travel system in the sequel...along with the map.  Why isn't there names on the map that tell me which transition I need to head to when there is no quest icon. "
    They should do it like Diablo 2, where there are different tabs on the top like "Act I, Act II, Act II" (named different obviously), then the portal locations under that. LB and RB to toggle through the tabs. That would be ideal IMO, but hey, it's probably more complicated than that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.