Why am I not liking the game?

#1 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

So I have had Borderlands for a while but I could never get into it, what could be the problem? I tend to like FPS games so I can't imagine why I wouldn't like it. 

For one, I am playing in single player opposed to co-op and I don't have interest in co-op that much. Also, I have played up to level 15 and the game is still boring me. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks.

#2 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

What in particular are you not liking? 

Also, keep in mind that though you tend to be into FPS games, this is an FPS/RPG, so that could be part of the turn-off for you.

#3 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@melcene said:
" What in particular are you not liking?  Also, keep in mind that though you tend to be into FPS games, this is an FPS/RPG, so that could be part of the turn-off for you. "
I love RPG games and like FPS so I assumed I would like this. 

To be honest, I don't know why I don't like it. It just sort of bored me?
#4 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

Well, the co-op's what makes Borderlands fun... It gets pretty stale in SP. You just go on endless "kill x monsters", as where in co-op you do the same, but have insanely fun from the other players constant bantering.

#5 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

It's the lack of purpose that's probably killing it for you. Borderlands just is.

The main story arc is weak and side missions can get quite repetitive, asking you to go back to previous areas over and over for little reward.

Effectively you're missing the role-playing aspect of the game. Everything about Borderlands smacks of a role playing aspect but it never materialises. It's that yearning for more personal and emotional involvement in the game which ultimately makes you dislike it.

My name is Dr FourWude and this has been a productive session. Next caller please.

#6 Posted by mwng (891 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
"I am playing in single player"
This is probably your problem. It's really designed to be played with more people, playing alone makes some bits too easy and other bits tedious as the enemy absorb massive amounts of damage. Try getting a split screen coop partner at the very least and see how you find it then.
#7 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

Sorry, for some people it hits the spot, for others it doesn't.  Honestly I didn't think I was going to enjoy it much probably for the same intangible reasons.  But I had fun with it.  Then again, I had a partner to run around with throughout the game :(

#8 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Its because you're a terrible terrible person. 

But seriously i managed one play through, i got to the end and the last few missions didnt interest me and I felt like i'd seen what the game had to offer. I suggest if you get to level 20 and still dont like it stop playing. The only thing that kept me hooked towards the end was the wonder at what insane weapon id find next, like the shotgun i found that shoots rockets ( I mean whats not to love about that?!).

#9 Posted by shivermetimbers (717 posts) -

I probably played this game 90% single player due to the fact that I could keep my own loot and it would be a fair challange. Whenever I joined or made a public match people either steal the loot and run from the server or a high level player comes in and kills everything in 1 hit. So I disagree with most of the people above me because I have a blast when I play. The problem is likely the lack of incentive if you're not really determined to level up your skills because the game has no story and it can get repetitive. I find the action of the game very good and that's why I don't mind the grind.
#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11266 posts) -
@melcene said:
"Honestly I didn't think I was going to enjoy it much probably for the same intangible reasons.  But I had fun with it."
This, but mainly this:

@CptChiken said:
" Its because you're a terrible terrible person."
:(

Also, who are you playing with? Perhaps give playing as a different character a shot.
#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Borderlands was one of the best things ever for me.
Maybe you're just having wrong expectations! (I had none, can't go wrong with that!)
Try a different char like BeachThunder suggests and prepare yourself for massive killing, looting and running around!

That's basically what it is!
But it's so great!

#12 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Borderlands was one of the best things ever for me. Maybe you're just having wrong expectations! (I had none, can't go wrong with that!) Try a different char like BeachThunder suggests and prepare yourself for massive killing, looting and running around!  That's basically what it is! But it's so great! "
I've tried Roland, Lilith and Mordecai. And I think Brink's special attack is sorta cruddy, so I wouldn't try him out.
#13 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I played it once, and found it mind numbingly boring. It was like I was playing an MMO, without the MMO part.

#14 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: 
They all got their uses!
Lilith can do a boatload of damage with her phasewalk if you use it on/around enemies with the proper talent build.
Mordecai's bird ain't all that but it's a nice free damage move.
Brick can be very strong with his rage mode, besides punching stuff is awesome.
Roland his turret can either supply ammo, heal you or become a rocket launcher turret...or just provide some cover/distraction.

Don't think any of em really sucks, but this game might not be for you...it happens!
#15 Posted by Apathylad (3065 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I played it once, and found it mind numbingly boring. It was like I was playing an MMO, without the MMO part. "
What's funny is that that's probably what Jeff liked about it. 
#16 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @NekuSakuraba:  They all got their uses! Lilith can do a boatload of damage with her phasewalk if you use it on/around enemies with the proper talent build. Mordecai's bird ain't all that but it's a nice free damage move. Brick can be very strong with his rage mode, besides punching stuff is awesome. Roland his turret can either supply ammo, heal you or become a rocket launcher turret...or just provide some cover/distraction.  Don't think any of em really sucks, but this game might not be for you...it happens! "
I hope I like it, or else I wasted my money. xD
#17 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: 
Get the receipt and return it.
Oh wait you probably used steam or something like it?
If so, that's exactly why I dislike it^^.
#18 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:

" @NekuSakuraba:  Get the receipt and return it. Oh wait you probably used steam or something like it? If so, that's exactly why I dislike it^^. "

Yes, I used Steam! xD 

EDIT: Maybe I should just keep trying?
#19 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

II gamefly'd it, and yeah it's kinda dull. I got to that second area after driving the car through it, saw it was just more of the same and went "ok done" and sent it back.

#20 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @NekuSakuraba:  Get the receipt and return it. Oh wait you probably used steam or something like it? If so, that's exactly why I dislike it^^. "
Yah srsly.  I can understand Steam for older games that are hard to find now, but I dunno... I prefer my hard copies of games.  Besides, then there's something to trade in later.
#21 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: 
Selfown! And yes keep trying, listen to the music, love the crazy foes and keep opening loot chests!

@melcene:
Right on the money!
#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10225 posts) -
@melcene said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
Yah srsly.  I can understand Steam for older games that are hard to find now, but I dunno... I prefer my hard copies of games.  Besides, then there's something to trade in later. "
Well it's not like anyone takes exchanges for an opened game. As for trading them in... I've done it once, regretted that I was missing a game from my collection, and bought it back. For hoarders, Steam is awesome.  

Also I don't know why you are not liking the game, Neku,  but you're being kinda vague about what's bad about it. I can get that it can sometimes be boring. Basically if you're more interested in the plot than the gameplay, Borderlands is not for you. It's a pure game, devoid of what makes modern games drag, and chock full of simple, fun combat, that's better with more friends. Basically get a a co-op team going. 
#23 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2901 posts) -

I didn't care much for it either. The layout of the areas was often poorly done, there weren't enough varieties of enemies and the weapon balance was fucked.

#24 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @melcene said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
Yah srsly.  I can understand Steam for older games that are hard to find now, but I dunno... I prefer my hard copies of games.  Besides, then there's something to trade in later. "
Well it's not like anyone takes exchanges for an opened game. As for trading them in... I've done it once, regretted that I was missing a game from my collection, and bought it back. For hoarders, Steam is awesome.    Also I don't know why you are not liking the game, Neku,  but you're being kinda vague about what's bad about it. I can get that it can sometimes be boring. Basically if you're more interested in the plot than the gameplay, Borderlands is not for you. It's a pure game, devoid of what makes modern games drag, and chock full of simple, fun combat, that's better with more friends. Basically get a a co-op team going.  "
I am finding it to be repetitive. 
#25 Posted by Zicdab (388 posts) -

I played it single player but probably would have enjoyed a four-player co-op.  Also, there really isn't a story for you to be motivated by.

#26 Posted by MikkaQ (10225 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba:  Oh. Well yeah, it is pretty repetitive. But that's kinda the point of it too. It's an FPS, but it has some minor RPG grinds to it. It's pretty diablo-eque, I'd say.   
Like the combat might be repetitive, but that's what anyone who likes Borderlands is coming back for, the fun combat, and finding newer and crazier weapons to fight people with. I mean if you don't like doing the combat over and over again, there is literally no point to keep going. It'll only get more and more repetitive, and hell you can do a 2nd runthrough to get to level 50. Repetition is part of Borderlands.  

To me it sounds like you probably won't enjoy it. I liked the combat quite a bit, but couldn't bring myself to beat the game twice. I was kinda tired of it by then. Do like checking in on the DLC whenever it's released though. Fun stuff!
#27 Posted by Bollard (5028 posts) -

Because you are a bad person! And play it coop, then all will be right.

#28 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -

It just might not be for you dude. I played it an loved it and am still playing through on a new character and grinding my way up to the DLC. I never played co-op throughout the 70+ hours I have put into it, it's still just as fun.

It's just one of those weird games where either you really love it, or it's a giant borefest.

#29 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85:
@XII_Sniper:
So what do people like about it? I love the concept, getting crazy weapons and I like FPS games. What can I not like?!
#30 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

I don't know why you don't like it... I guess there must be something wrong with you! 

No, really, I think I know what you're saying. I've been playing Borderlands since it's release and I'm still occasionally playing it. But the thing for me is that it can get a little tedious when playing it for several hours in one go. Especially when playing it alone. So if I play single player I only play in small doses. The co-op can last the whole night when played with good friends.

#31 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @wolf_blitzer85:
@XII_Sniper: So what do people like about it? I love the concept, getting crazy weapons and I like FPS games. What can I not like?! "
Sounds like you are on the right track there. It really comes down to the gameplay though. I really didn't mind it as I mostly got Diablo vibe from the quest structure and all that, but yes, there is an MMO type feel to that as well, and that can turn people off pretty quickly.

I say give it a little more time, and kinda think of it like a JRPG. Early levels are boring as shit when you are mostly doing the same attack over and over again, but get those skills up and start finding some crazy awesome guns, figure out an effective build order to your playstyle, and then the fun returns! If not, then unfortunately the game just might not be for you.

That and it helps if you are a loot whore. It might not be awesome loot all the time, but I still get giddy even when I see a green item drop.
#32 Posted by Romination (2768 posts) -

I can see people disliking it because there's a lot of emptiness in the "badlands" and it's just bad to walk through sometimes.

#33 Posted by MetalMoog (906 posts) -

I loved Borderlands for months when it came out, but once I finished the main quest line I had little desire to replay it and continue grinding xp. I bought Dr. Ned & Mad Moxie afterward for some new stories.  A buddy and I completed Dr. Ned but thought Mad Moxie was hella frustrating and boring. 

I ended up trading this in, and now regret doing so. While I may not play Borderlands as much as I used to, this game has a really unique flavor that I have not experienced since.

#34 Posted by tracerace11 (286 posts) -

I am playing this game right now, and I definitely understand the "boring" aspect of the game.  To me, it is a bit too grindy, I feel like the monsters level a little too quickly.  Of course, I have only been doing SP as well, so this could account for the difficulty.  I enjoy the guns, haven't gotten to the crazy guns yet (only have a pistol with explosives).  I actually really enjoy the vehicle part.  That rocket launcher car is a masculine piece of art.

#35 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

LOL @ Steam attacks.  So, logically, a shit game is made better by the fact that you can return it?  A shit game is a shit game and Boredomlands is just a shit game.  Sorry, but a poor spamfest shooter mechanic mixed with an extremely limited fetch/kill x number of y rpg-lite mechanic doesn't make for a good game, no matter how pretty it can look.  Neku, at least you got it cheaply.  Imagine all those people who payed top dollar for the game at launch.

#36 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

I just hate the damn respawns.  Geez.

#37 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

You're not going to enjoy playing the game Single Player. If you have a hatred for co op and refuse to do it, then yeah, you aren't going to enjoy it.

#38 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

Everybody I know has been there and done that.  If anyone wants to play co-op on 360 let me know.  Right now I've restarted and am currently lvl 12.

#39 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

It's a tough debate trying to figure out what's more boring; Borderlands or Just Cause 2. Probably the most repetitive games I have ever played.

#40 Posted by purpleinsect (57 posts) -

I didn't warm up to it right away either. But I'm more than glad I gave it a second chance (and a few chances after that)

#41 Posted by rawrsair (817 posts) -

It's probably because you're playing single player.

From experience though, try and play it through with someone whose around the same level you are. I played it with two friends who were max level and I found I was just tagging along for the ride because I was a much lower level and that made it a lot less fun

#42 Posted by GrandMarshal (386 posts) -

the combat can get a bit repetative near the end

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.