Worth buying if im only going to play singleplayer?

#1 Posted by switchit (119 posts) -

Atm i dont have anyone to play with irl and i'm not a big fan of playing with strangers. So if i where to buy the game i am going to play the singleplayer alone. Should i buy it anyway?

#2 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

Yeah. Single Player is great.  Even if I love multiplayer more then playing alone, sometimes I just like to hang out by myself and do whatever I want in the game without having to worry about anyone else or share loot.

#3 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

That would depend on how much you're willing to pay and if there are any other games you want instead.

#4 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

My brother has it (I will get it eventually) and from what I've seen, some boss quests are extremely hard when you're playing by yourself.  Play with friends if you don't want to play with strangers.

#5 Posted by switchit (119 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
"

That would depend on how much you're willing to pay and if there are any other games you want instead.

"
I can get it for about 40$ where i live. There isn't really any other game i7m looking at right now. I'm however a very big fan of Oblivion and Fallout 3, and from what i understand it's has the same open envirement and optional quests that i like!?
#6 Posted by raddevon (437 posts) -
@switchit: It is very similar and very different at the same time. For me, the story isn't nearly as engaging as Oblivion or Fallout 3. My playtime in this game is contingent upon the mechanics which are thankfully quite fun. Don't get the game for the story. However, I wouldn't avoid it just because you only plan to play single player. I have had quite a lot of fun leveling my alt solo. The bosses are harder so you might need to grind an additional level or so before you try to take them out. That's not a dealbreaker by any stretch.
#7 Posted by PenguinDust (12553 posts) -

I'm playing through the game right now alone and I am having a great time with it.  Some reviews say you need to play with others to get the full benefit, but Jeff of Giant Bomb has spent the majority of his playtime in the game world alone and he's still playing the game as of yesterday's Bombcast.  I think its well worth the price of admission even if you don't plan to play with anyone else.  I am loving it alone because fills my "loot-whore" and "level-up" cravings.

#8 Posted by SonicFire (821 posts) -

Single player is still alot of fun. It has that same "one more quest" kind of addictiveness that made Oblivion such a time sink.

#9 Posted by raidingkvatch (1157 posts) -

Yeah definitely I've been playing single player cuz none of my friends have got it yet and it's definitely worth it, although I also can't wait to play with my buddies

#10 Posted by Liam_mk (290 posts) -
@raidingkvatch said:
" Yeah definitely I've been playing single player cuz none of my friends have got it yet and it's definitely worth it, although I also can't wait to play with my buddies "
^^
#11 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

yes.

#12 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

I played my Hunter pretty much only single player.

#13 Posted by Grilledcheez (3952 posts) -

I'm having a great time playing singleplayer, so yeah go ahead and get it.

#14 Posted by Keeng (1001 posts) -

The single player is still pretty good. Also, playing with other people doesn't necessarily make it easier. The enemies will get stronger with each added teammate. However, and this is the important part, you'll get better stuff playing multiplayer. So the game is fine either way, but if you can avoid it, don't completely restrict yourself from either mode.

#15 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

I've yet to try Co-Op with anyone and really, aside from wanting the achievements, don't mind.  The game is still a ton of fun by yourself.

#16 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

I've paid full price of a game, just to play single player once through and have not touched it since. Not because I didn't like the game or anything like that. I'm just playing Battlefield: Bad Company and 1943 too much to stick to anything else.

#17 Edited by TheFrostedGamer (296 posts) -

Yes, it's definitely worth buying just for the single player. Infact, since the drops aren't assigned (and incoming players can grief your game), in many cases it's better by yourself. I was completely unconvinced about Borderlands until I actually played it. It's a game that starts off extremely slow and you don't understand why people are so into it. The more you play, the better it becomes. The game hides a lot from you in the beginning. I'm now about level 20 and I'm having much more fun than I had at level 1. That's the one thing I would tell anyone wondering if they should get Borderlands. Don't judge it too closely by the videos you've seen of it (that's what I did, and understandably so). It slowly gives itself to you and becomes a lot better over time. Though, I will say that I'm not sure how the vibe changes once there's no more "better" loot. But I suppose that can be answered with DLC. This game could really gain some legs if it had a "Survival/Horde" mode.

#18 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -
@switchit: Well, if you compare them to Oblivion and Fallout 3, the game isn't as varied since I found the missions in Borderlands to be quite repetitive in some ways, it's either go here and kill this or bring this item to that. There's no real narrative as well. But having said that, there's a lot of loot to be found in the game and world looks great. Difficulty is pretty inconsistent at times but even then I found the game to be great fun. So for $40 and with no other game in mind, why not I say?
#19 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

I'm playing it solo as the hunter dude, and I'm enjoying it, it's a little more grindy, and you'll probably have to do every quest to be the right level to progress for others, I've about 4 quests where I need to be level +15 and I'm 13, I could probably do them but it'd take a fair bit longer.

#20 Posted by CitizenKane (10507 posts) -

While I haven't played it myself, from what everyone has said I would say that yes it is worth it.  Just like with any RPG, you will get dozens of hours of enjoyment out of single player.

#21 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -
@SonicFire said:
" Single player is still alot of fun. It has that same "one more quest" kind of addictiveness that made Oblivion such a time sink. "
if i wasn't sold on this game before you comparing it to obliivon just sold me all over again
#22 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

Busted PC co-op means I got a limited run with that.

But the game is still real good solo.

Playing with friends though, adds another level of excitement.

#23 Posted by kingkorn69 (321 posts) -

Game is awesome single player! Not much of a multiplayer fan myself.  But my friends have now got it so I am looking forward to having a 2nd char to play with.

#24 Posted by cyrax (205 posts) -

If you get a couple levels above the quest's suggested level it makes the singleplayer a lot of fun.

#25 Posted by imhuntad (310 posts) -

The game is enjoyable as a singleplayer game, but it's hard not to feel like a buddy should be playing with you at times. I've started to feel lonely while killing the same creatures and enemies after a while. Especially after you beat the game...going onto the 2nd playthrough seems to be less enjoyable if playing alone.

#26 Posted by DrakeAsh (80 posts) -

I have to admit that I am usually not one to play with others, but the game is a blast with other people.  Added to that, if you join in with people a bit above you, you will be able to gain levels much faster.  I have had great experiences with quick match games and it really is not one of those games where coordination with all members is necessary.  It just becomes a different beast entirely and is it goes a much quicker pace.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.