Botanicula - out now on GOG

#1 Posted by BeachThunder (11809 posts) -

Just a heads up; Botanicula is out right now on GOG (possibly Steam later?). I can't wait until this finishes downloading, really been looking forward to playing this for a while. I really enjoyed Machinarium, hopefully it's as good - if not, better.

Anyway, have a trailer:

#2 Posted by Asger (194 posts) -
#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11809 posts) -

Oh wow, sucks for people the pre-ordered the game =|

#4 Posted by MonkfishEsq (252 posts) -

Yeah. The humble bundle contains the FULL soundtrack for Botanicula, Machinarium *and* Samorost 2. It's a fucking joke. I paid $8.99 on gog because I thought it was the only place to get it and then they turn around and spit in everyones faces.

#5 Posted by JohnLocke (255 posts) -

@Asger said:

And here: https://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay what you want

:)

Why I don't mind if I do.

Thank you for this, was going to get the game from gog.com but as this is for charity I will just get it there so everybody wins!

#6 Posted by Enigma777 (6070 posts) -

I came in expecting to see a picture of a flower vampire. I leave disappointed...

#7 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

@Asger said:

And here: https://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay what you want

:)

Ridiculous. I know it's for charity, but this is exactly why GOG were worried about Steam sales destroying the industry. It's bad enough when we have huge game sales mere weeks after a games release, but why pay full price for a game when you can pay literally a penny for it on its release day?

I know some will claim this is an overreaction, but they really are just devaluing the games.

#8 Posted by MonkfishEsq (252 posts) -

gog isn't to blame here either. They had no idea this was happening until it was already done. There isn't even an easy way to contact Amanita to tell them what fucking scumbags they are either.

#9 Posted by ChaosDent (234 posts) -

I fail to see how they are "scumbags" for giving their game away to people who probably wouldn't be willing to pay for it anyway, yet despite the pay what you want model the average of all donations right now is 87% of the asking price for Botanicula on gog.com. At worst you can see it as a concession to piracy, but I also see it as a way to leverage a relatively high profile release to pass some attention and money on to lesser known titles.

#10 Posted by MonkfishEsq (252 posts) -

So you don't think that letting gog/gamersgate promote their game as the 'only' place to get it and also giving gog a demo soundtrack of only 3 songs (Which gog couldn't do anything about)

Then at the moment of release they go and make a humble indie bundle with: Botanicula, Machinarium and Samorost 2 all with their FULL soundtracks for what basically amounts to FREE. You're seriously trying to tell me that there's nothing wrong with that? That people who in good faith (including myself) bought it on gog thinking that it was the only place to get it and then finding out that I could have bought it for 1 cent in a humble indie bundle on the day of release with the full soundtrack.

GoG by the way had no idea they were doing this. They found out about this when we did.

It's a fucking scumbag thing to do whoever you are. Indie or not.

#11 Edited by d0rks (73 posts) -

Update from the Botanicula people:

I almost forgot. everybody who pre-ordered Botanicula on GOG.com will get the full soundtrack, the art-book (not released yet) and Machinarium for free. and of course you all have our eternal gratitude for supporting us:)

Supposedly this will be available tomorow.

#12 Posted by BSw (252 posts) -

Yeah, just got the e-mail as well. That's crazy. I'm still ordering though, since I loved Machinarium, but why would they do this? I really don't get why they are not waiting a couple of weeks or even months before becoming part of a Humble Bundle.

#13 Posted by nyv (60 posts) -

I guess that there is a bit of a competition over the Humble Bundle and Amanita was either working hard to get their spot in there or just lucked out and it kindof worked out. There is definitely going to be a coverage in our media (as they come from my little country) how and why they published it this way. And also how they managed to get the deal on Kooky, on which they helped only with the design of character, but it was shot (and is most definitely owned) by film makers, who are over protective of their work, here in the heart of the Europe.

#14 Edited by ansys (62 posts) -

I just hope there is a steam version down the line, and with steamworks too. Maybe I will buy the humblebundle now. :-(

Update: If you give more than 5$, you actually get the steam version of the games! :-)

#15 Posted by EVO (3890 posts) -

Wow, glad I didn't preorder. Stoked they threw in the soundtrack + Kooky.

#16 Posted by ansys (62 posts) -

For those that pre-order the game on gog, there is a solution :-)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/20/amanita-sorry-to-botanicula-pre-orders-give-free-stuff/#more-104641

#17 Edited by d0rks (73 posts) -

A more wordy apology to pre-orderers can be found on the Amanita Design blog:

We want to apologize to everybody who pre-ordered Botanicula on GOG.com and GamersGate and now is upset because there’s a bundle for any price. We haven’t much time to take care about business and logistics in last few weeks because we were hard at work on the game fixing hundreads of bugs etc. so we made a mistake and let GOG and GG make pre-orders. We simply didn’t think about it and about the consequences, sorry for that. All the pre-orderers should receive some free bonus stuff from GOG and GG in upcoming hours or days. The bonus bundle will include Machinarium, full Botanicula Soundtrack and Botanicula art book which wasn’t released anywhere else yet. I hope it’s not that terrible deal for $9 you paid to support us so we can continue making independent games, we are very grateful for that!

#18 Posted by d0rks (73 posts) -

Additional words from GOG.com by means of e-mail:

You very probably heard all of the noise around the Humble Botanicula Debut and how some users were left rather unhappy about paying $8.99 for a preorder of the game while people who bought it on day one could pay whatever they wanted for it and they got more goodies than the GOG.com preorder provided.

This left an unsurprtisingly sour taste in some gamers’ mouths, and we were just as surprised by the launch of the Humble Botanicula Debut as anyone else was. As soon as we saw the bundle, we reached out to the guys at Amanita about providing our users with something in return for their preorders; we got them to agree to give us a number of goodies from the bundle, and we’re giving you and every other user who bought the game before 12:00 GMT on the 20th of April the following:

FREE Machinarium - FREE full soundtrack - FREE special artbook

You can click on the links above to download your soundtrack or artbook. The links will be valid until 3 May 2012 at 12:00 GMT. We will automatically be adding Machinarium to your shelf on Monday.

Finally, we wanted to give you guys something that you couldn’t get in the Humble Bundle to make sure that you didn’t feel like you got a raw deal. To that end, courtesy of our fine friends at CD Projekt RED, we’re happy to let you know that we’re also giving you and everyone else who already bought Botanicula a free copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut! This game will also be on your shelf on Monday, so look for it then.

At GOG.com, we’ll never knowingly disappoint you, and while this preorder mishap may have made you a little unhappy, we hope that you enjoy Botanicula—it’s a fantastic game and many of us here at the office are fans—and, if you’d like to say “thanks!” to our pals at CD Projekt RED, check out The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition, available right now at your favorite DRM-free game store, GOG.com.

Have a great weekend!

Removed hyperlinks.

#19 Posted by AndrewB (7568 posts) -

That kinda sucks for GoG that they have to make up for the developer's carelessness, but that's what comes with being the middleman.

#20 Posted by Jegschemesch (7 posts) -

@MonkfishEsq: If you're so upset about missing out on more stuff...why not just get the HumbleBundle too for the minimum price?

#21 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

Machinarium was cool but I didn't finish it... i should get back to it.

#22 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@ansys said:

I just hope there is a steam version down the line, and with steamworks too. Maybe I will buy the humblebundle now. :-(

Update: If you give more than 5$, you actually get the steam version of the games! :-)

thank goodness for that

#23 Posted by MonkfishEsq (252 posts) -

I did. The point is I shouldn't have to have done.

Let's forget about pre-orders for a second and look at this from someone who hasn't gotten it yet. You could get it on gog for $10 with only a demo soundtrack or you could get it in the HiB for whatever you want (but for the sake of argument let's say a minimum of $5)

Why would anyone buy it from gog after seeing how cheap and how many extras you get in the bundle? I know the bundle is only up for 2 weeks and that's a long time of losing out hand over fist.

#24 Posted by skurk (39 posts) -

Wow, you guys sure seem mad about paying the amount you agreed upon and supporting the developers for their hard work. I went ahead and paid more than $9 for the Humble Bundle, because it was a great deal (and the third time I put money towards Machinarium btw) and I felt like they should get paid properly for their work. Just because you can get it for less doesn't necessarily mean that you should. Unless you're a whiny cheapskate, I guess.

#25 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Oh, I didn't know this was an adventure game. This is an awesome trailer. Think I might be picking this up :)

#26 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@skurk said:

Wow, you guys sure seem mad about paying the amount you agreed upon and supporting the developers for their hard work. I went ahead and paid more than $9 for the Humble Bundle, because it was a great deal (and the third time I put money towards Machinarium btw) and I felt like they should get paid properly for their work. Just because you can get it for less doesn't necessarily mean that you should. Unless you're a whiny cheapskate, I guess.

Are you trying to add to the discussion or just name calling?

#27 Posted by skurk (39 posts) -

I'm not calling any names, just trying to add a bit of perspective.

#28 Posted by Bravestar (379 posts) -

welp, I bought it on gog 2 hours ago and now I read about the humble bundle. ugh, gimme atleast the soundtrack, guys :(

I guess I'm supporting them or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.