Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Braid

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 06, 2008

Manipulate time to complete puzzles in this 2D platform game made by indie developer Jonathan Blow.

1200MS Points For Braid?? Stoopid M$.....

• 86 results
    Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Teirdome

Like Jonathan Blow said, if length of gameplay is the main qualifier to a game being good, then sitting in a chair is the best f*%^ing game ever.

This title is a gem.  If you miss it because of pricing, it's your loss.  For the experience, I would have paid $20.

jakeroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By jakeroc

Still cheaper than the Penny Arcade Game.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By irishjohn

I wasn't going to get Braid on principle, but this thread has converted me.  I'm buying it tonight.

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Vlademir

It is a pretty good arcade game.

Bkorns4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By Bkorns4

Braid is worth 1200 points. The game is spectacular on every level (gameplay/visual/audio), and tries something new which worked out great. IMO braid is better than most $60 games that come out.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By cspiffo

If this game were on a handheld it would command at least $20 if not $30.  I don't mind.   We've just been conditioned, by M$ of all places, to expect games to cost less on live.  I really don't mind the price much.  I find the game quite fun actually.

dQuarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By dQuarters

Pretty sure they'd make more money having it 800 points. Maybe even more at 600 seeing as it's coming out right on the heels of the sequel to the most loved XBLA game. Hopefully it comes down in price, because more people should try these art-house games. They are too few and far between.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#58  Edited By Oni

All you fools complaining about the price, read this: My blog.

AndrewP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By AndrewP

I fucking hate puzzle games so I probably wouldn't have bought this at 800 points.

Oni, you need to realize that you can't win every argument on the Internet and some people do measure the value of a game by how long it is, and just because you don't that doesn't mean it's not a valid way to measure a game for certain people.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By Whisperkill
    DerBonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DerBonk

Why do people think Braid is that short ?! Puzzles me, it took me about 7 hours to finish the game and I even used a few hints (no real walkthrough, just to assure myself that I wasn't trying something impossible)! With all the secrets it's a good 10 hours. I have payed 60€ for a 10 hour game before and I'm pretty sure most gamers have. So, if you measure the value of a game by its length, Braid is still reasonably priced.

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By MisterMollusk

I think PA sums it up nicely.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#63  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Yes, PA summed it up perfectly. If you are not willing to pay this "much" cash for something this beautiful, thought provoking, perfectly executed brilliant piece of game... Then I don't know what you should spend that money on.
    It is not short, and even if it was I would buy it. Heck, I am sure there are things hidden away no one knows about yet. This is a mystery of a game, and those games are few and far between these days.

InuFaye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By InuFaye

Penny Arcade has a comic for all you haters.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#65  Edited By lordofultima

I wouldn't pay 800 points for Braid, let alone 1200.

Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Dan

I like how that comic is supposed to prove something. The people who buy 15 dollar internet meme shirts are stupid. The people who spend 15 dollars on tacky Mexican food are stupid. Therefore..

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67  Edited By Vaxadrin

...people who spend $15 on quality products are better than the aforementioned examples.

If you want me to explain any other punchlines, I'll be around.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#68  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

For the price of this game, you could pick up Call of Duty 2 or 3, or a Tony Hawk game.  And those are full releases, people!

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69  Edited By Vaxadrin

So you could get some bland WW2 shooters or a skating game in a franchise that hasn't been fun for 10 years instead of a creative 2d platformer.  What a value.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Oni
    AndrewP said:
    "I fucking hate puzzle games so I probably wouldn't have bought this at 800 points.

Oni, you need to realize that you can't win every argument on the Internet and some people do measure the value of a game by how long it is, and just because you don't that doesn't mean it's not a valid way to measure a game for certain people."
    Yet I also argued that even if you judge Braid's value by its length, it's worth 15 bucks, assuming you ever bought a single player retail game that is not an Oblivion or some other RPG. So you fail and I don't 'need' to realize anything. Reading comprehension, learn it.
    KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By KuribosShoe
    yep
    yep
    AndrewP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By AndrewP
    Oni said:
    "AndrewP said:
    "I fucking hate puzzle games so I probably wouldn't have bought this at 800 points.

Oni, you need to realize that you can't win every argument on the Internet and some people do measure the value of a game by how long it is, and just because you don't that doesn't mean it's not a valid way to measure a game for certain people."
    Yet I also argued that even if you judge Braid's value by its length, it's worth 15 bucks, assuming you ever bought a single player retail game that is not an Oblivion or some other RPG. So you fail and I don't 'need' to realize anything. Reading comprehension, learn it."

INTERNET BULLY ALERT.

Let's look at the list of games that I own.

CoD4: Probably played this at least 100 hours
    Halo 3: 150 hours or more
    Crackdown:  ~30 hours
    Rock Band: ~50 hours
    Oblivion: ~150 hours
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2: ~20 hours

Maybe this is just the way I buy my game? I don't usually plop down $60 on something I know I'll be done with in a week. Are you going to want to go back and play this again once you've solved all the puzzles? Probably not, since solving the puzzles is where all the fun lies (at least that's what the creater said.) Granted, there is a lot of trash on the XBLA that I've paid for and barely gotten 2 hours of play out of, but you're trying to compare Braid to retail games.
    DerBonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By DerBonk

I see your point, Andrew, that's why I think these games are easily worth $60. But what about games like Bioshock? Are Single Player only (or mainly) games a rip off now? If you look at CoD 4 as consisting of two parts (SP and MP) and you paying equal amounts for each, Braid is half the price of the CoD 4 campaign and just as long. Plus, if you don't like the game and think it's not worth your 15 bucks, that's fine. It was worht mine.

AndrewP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By AndrewP
    DerBonk said:
    Plus, if you don't like the game and think it's not worth your 15 bucks, that's fine. It was worht mine.
    I wish everyone would stop trying to convince people that this game is worth the money and just have the attitude that this guy has.
    BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Kameo for 10 smackers?

*Buys*

DerBonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By DerBonk
    AndrewP said:
    "DerBonk said:
    Plus, if you don't like the game and think it's not worth your 15 bucks, that's fine. It was worht mine.
    I wish everyone would stop trying to convince people that this game is worth the money and just have the attitude that this guy has."
    I guess it's no surprise, that I agree ;) I just wanted to add: I did not like Oblivion, it was not worth my 60 bucks and I wouldn't be willing to pay even 10 bucks, I just don't like the game. It's caled taste and it differs vastly from person to person.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    Oni said:
    "AndrewP said:

Yet I also argued that even if you judge Braid's value by its length, it's worth 15 bucks, assuming you ever bought a single player retail game that is not an Oblivion or some other RPG. So you fail and I don't 'need' to realize anything. Reading comprehension, learn it."
    You can't compare retail titles to downloadable titles.  Even if Braid offers you more gameplay for your money than 95% of retail titles...

Retail titles have much larger budgets.
    Retail titles often have much higher production values, at least from a non-artistic standpoint.
    Retail titles can be loaned, traded, or sold.
    Retail titles can become drastically reduced in price.

It's fine to give your opinion on this issue, but please know that it's just opinion.  So yes, you really do need to realize that SOME people measure the worth of XBLA titles by length and replay value, and that doesn't make them wrong.  I also noticed in your blog you didn't even bring up worthy debate issues of your opposition--Bionic Commando next week for 800 MSP, Psychonauts Xbox Original available for the same price as Braid--instead of bringing out the straw man that is "Puzzle Quest." 

If you like Braid and think that it's worth 1200 points, that's great.  If people don't think it's a good value compared to other ways of spending 1200 points on Xbox Live, that's fine too.  You've had your say, and you've shared your thoughts on the issue, but you DO need to realize that this is a matter of opinion, not right or wrong. 

And for the opposition, I'll leave you with this:
    It seems opinions change when you're selling a single episode of your XBLA game for $20.
    It seems opinions change when you're selling a single episode of your XBLA game for $20.

IFlipCars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By IFlipCars

Hello all. I had to create this account just to post this message (and because Giant Bomb rules).

Braid is comparable, in my mind, to Valve's Portal. Not for any particular gameplay relevance, beside fresh and innovative gameplay. To those that are still undecided about this game, I would definitely say this is not a game for everybody. I would also say that the demo is not a very good representation of the complexity of the puzzles and time manipulation in the full game.

This is true:

I have shown Braid to several friends, and even my girlfriend. All of them, even the non-gamers, said almost exactly the same things. They commented on the beautiful level design, the creative and extremely intriguing time manipulation, and that they wanted a turn...immediately!

It saddens me that so many people are interested in this game up until they see that extra $5 price tag. What can I say? If that makes a big dent in your gaming budget, if you have to budget your games so that you get the absolute best value and length for your dollar, then maybe Braid isn't right for you. You need to, however, find a way to experience this game. It is one of the freshest and most interesting titles I have seen in a long time. 

Geometry Wars (which I absolutely adore, by the way) is like a great action flick. It satisfies and delivers like you know it should, but you've been there before. Braid however, is something more. Much more. And while it may not hit every target as fast and heavy as the former, it is by far a much richer, and more fulfilling experience.
    falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#79  Edited By falconer

Until I get a job, I'm pretty poor. I had planned on getting Geo Wars 2 with a points card once me mum got some mulah, but now I'm getting this game. Even though I know I'm going to have to go to a guide more than once (lets just say I'm that one dead bulb in a new set from an entire case), this game is simply amazing.

RobDaFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#80  Edited By RobDaFunk

Worth the extra $5, but not for everyone!

If you like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus etc, hit this up.

Simple.

Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Dan

I love Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. It's not as simple as the post above would like to have you believe.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Relys
    Vaxadrin said:
    "...people who spend $15 on quality products are better than the aforementioned examples.

If you want me to explain any other punchlines, I'll be around."
    That's just bad logic.

Quality or not, they're still overpriced.

I'm downloading the demo now. I highly doubt I'm going to pay $15 for this, when I could buy Phychonauts (har har) instead for the same price.
    logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By logson
    SmugDarkLoser said:

"It's not MS who determines pricing, it's the devs.  MS will only take some royalties."

DerBonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DerBonk

The problem really is that people say "It is overpriced" when they should be saying "In my opinion it is overpriced". If we could agree on that, I don't think there will be any conflict here. I personally still think that 15€ is a very reasonable price for a game like this. I will play this game for far more then 10 hours and have already played about 8 hours. Those 8 hours also were some of the best hours spend with a game ever. All of them. This game is so good in every second, that every hours I spend playing this game, I felt like I was experiencing the best part of most other games.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Oni

I have no problem with people not liking Braid and therefore not thinking it's worth 15 dollars. I just took umbrage with that guy's tone, condescending as shit.

But yeah whatever, if the only reason you're not buying it is because OMG it's 5 bucks more you are shooting yourself in the foot and missing out on the most important video game made in about 10 years. Your loss.

Rapt0ria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Rapt0ria

I'm a pathetically poor person but I did buy BRAID after playing the jawdropping demo.

Though I admit that 1200 MS points is way too much for a XBLA game but I'm GLAD that I have this game. One of my favorite purchases

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.