Braid PC Out in March, $15

Posted by mamboozo (3 posts) -
Finding it tough to get through writing this story without mentioning "you-know-who."
The official blog devoted to Number None's Braid has clarified a previous announcement concerning the PC release of Braid. Yesterday, Stardock announced that the time-traveling platformer would hit on the PC at the end of March for $19.95. Today, Braid creator Jonathan Blow went ahead and cut that price to $14.95 because the original price "has proven to be unpopular in certain areas of the Internets."

In the rest of the entry, he talks about comparing Braid to other comparable PC products, most of which run around $20. Simply put, if you'd pay $20 for World of Goo, wouldn't you then feel fine about paying the same amount for Braid? As someone who sits in the "World of Goo ain't all that" camp, an equal price seems pretty fair to me. But it's an interesting problem, as the markets and appropriate price points between the download services on consoles and their PC counterparts is quite different.

Either way, the PC version will be light on the DRM, which is nice. Here's what Blow had to say about that:
Where possible, the game will be released without DRM. Some online publishers include their own DRM as a matter of policy, and of those guys, I am only signing with the ones that have light and non-intrusive DRM. My goal is to give people a reasonable choice about where to get the game, and if they don’t like someone’s DRM or someone else’s launcher client, they can get it from whoever they like most.
#1 Posted by mamboozo (3 posts) -
Finding it tough to get through writing this story without mentioning "you-know-who."
The official blog devoted to Number None's Braid has clarified a previous announcement concerning the PC release of Braid. Yesterday, Stardock announced that the time-traveling platformer would hit on the PC at the end of March for $19.95. Today, Braid creator Jonathan Blow went ahead and cut that price to $14.95 because the original price "has proven to be unpopular in certain areas of the Internets."

In the rest of the entry, he talks about comparing Braid to other comparable PC products, most of which run around $20. Simply put, if you'd pay $20 for World of Goo, wouldn't you then feel fine about paying the same amount for Braid? As someone who sits in the "World of Goo ain't all that" camp, an equal price seems pretty fair to me. But it's an interesting problem, as the markets and appropriate price points between the download services on consoles and their PC counterparts is quite different.

Either way, the PC version will be light on the DRM, which is nice. Here's what Blow had to say about that:
Where possible, the game will be released without DRM. Some online publishers include their own DRM as a matter of policy, and of those guys, I am only signing with the ones that have light and non-intrusive DRM. My goal is to give people a reasonable choice about where to get the game, and if they don’t like someone’s DRM or someone else’s launcher client, they can get it from whoever they like most.
#2 Edited by Aydin (37 posts) -

Braid is one of my top favorites. I'm looking forward to play the PC version as well.

#3 Edited by Dalai (7069 posts) -

You're in the "World of Goo ain't all that" camp?  You've lost all credibility.

All kidding aside, the drop simply benefits gamers and when I eventually get Braid on the PC, I'll take that $5 towards a Burger King value meal or something.

Thanks, Jonathan!

#4 Posted by michaelenger (78 posts) -

I am also in the "World of Goo ain't all that" camp and I am looking forward to playing Braid. The gaming world has little love for PC players so it's been a long wait :(

#5 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

World of Goo ROCKS! Anyway pretty damn excited! At last I get to play Braid!

#6 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

I'm part of the "World of Goo should have been $15 on the PC" camp.

#7 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Mamboozo, mamboozo, what are you doing out of your cage?!?!

#8 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

I'll get it on steam, cuz they'll most likely have it on sale at launch or sometime; but I've always wanted to try stardock's system thing, but nothing's really caught my eye that much except for SoaSE. Though Sins is something I play only with close friends, which none of them like or are interested in that game.

#9 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

I'll be sure to take pleasure during this experience.

#10 Posted by HitNRun (344 posts) -

A good idea by Mr. Blow. A better idea would have been to get the price right the first time, considering that (a) it's a delayed port (b) to an non-secure platform (c) that set off a controversy at $15 and (d) the lower Internets are a risible, ill-tempered place.

#11 Posted by VibratingDonkey (887 posts) -

You can never get enough of that going back in time potion that you never run out of.

#12 Posted by sloppyjoe (405 posts) -

dude check this game out... he never runs out of the time potion.. whooooopp

#13 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

pc...

#14 Posted by Knives (711 posts) -

Of course you didn't like World of Goo, it was a PC/Wii product.

#15 Posted by Lieutenant (347 posts) -
#16 Posted by AllanIceman (1323 posts) -

If it's out on Steam I'll get it.

#17 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
Knives said:
"Of course you didn't like World of Goo, it was a PC/Wii product."
Oh yeah! Stick it to the man! You don't even know who Mamboozo is (my guess is Mike Tatum, whose video game preferences we know nothing about) but you have no problem accusing him of bias against the Wii and PC.
Don't be an idiot.
#18 Edited by Knives (711 posts) -
LordAndrew said:
"Knives said:
Oh yeah! Stick it to the man! You don't even know who Mamboozo is (my guess is Mike Tatum, whose video game preferences we know nothing about) but you have no problem accusing him of bias against the Wii and PC.
Don't be an idiot.
"
Jeff is the original author of this article. Check the main page.
#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
Knives said:
"LordAndrew said:
"Knives said:
Don't be an idiot.
"
"
You mean the news page? The front page of the site doesn't list authors.
Jeff has stated why he's not a fan of World of Goo and it has nothing to do with the platforms it's available on. I'll say it again: don't be an idiot.
#20 Edited by Knives (711 posts) -
LordAndrew said:
"Knives said:
"LordAndrew said:
"Knives said:
Don't be an idiot.
"
"
You mean the news page? The front page of the site doesn't list authors.
Jeff has stated why he's not a fan of World of Goo and it has nothing to do with the platforms it's available on. I'll say it again: don't be an idiot.
"
That's funny. I see "added by Jeff" at the top of the Braid article. I know I'm an idiot, but isn't it safe to assume he wrote it? And you can believe whatever the fuck you want.
#21 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

I believe what I want when there is evidence of it.

Here's a comment he left on Dalai's blog:

Oh, you so crazy!

Really don't understand all the World of Goo love out there. It's neat and all, but... yeah. Not one of my favorite games of the year. Obviously, same goes for Brawl, though I guess I'd rather play World of Goo than Brawl. Heck, I'd rather "play" Wii Fit than Brawl. Also, we didn't review Blast Works. Not sure where you're getting this "full star higher" nonsense. Blast Works certainly has some neat ideas. Wish they were in a better game.

And if I may respond in kind, if you don't like WarioWare: Smooth Moves you suck shit out of a lead pipe marked "shit delivery system."

Aaaaand lastly, I really like Mega Man 9 right up to the point where they make you start playing it. That's not a classic revival, that's a hate factory.
Note that he not only gives a reason why he's not a big fan of World of Goo, but also mentions how much he enjoys WarioWare: Smooth Moves. Guess which system that's on.
#22 Edited by Knives (711 posts) -
LordAndrew said:
"I believe what I want when there is evidence of it.

Here's a comment he left on Dalai's blog:
 Oh, you so crazy!

Really don't understand all the World of Goo love out there. It's neat and all, but... yeah. Not one of my favorite games of the year. Obviously, same goes for Brawl, though I guess I'd rather play World of Goo than Brawl. Heck, I'd rather "play" Wii Fit than Brawl. Also, we didn't review Blast Works. Not sure where you're getting this "full star higher" nonsense. Blast Works certainly has some neat ideas. Wish they were in a better game.

And if I may respond in kind, if you don't like WarioWare: Smooth Moves you suck shit out of a lead pipe marked "shit delivery system."

Aaaaand lastly, I really like Mega Man 9 right up to the point where they make you start playing it. That's not a classic revival, that's a hate factory.
Note that he not only gives a reason why he's not a big fan of World of Goo, but also mentions how much he enjoys WarioWare: Smooth Moves. Guess which system that's on.
"
Shit, he likes one game on the system. I guess I was wrong. I just need to get over the fact that just about ever game Jeff or this website likes, I dislike, and vice versa. I dislike racing games, fighting games, wrestling games, skating games, console FPSs, and I am "meh" about GTA. Not much left is there?
#23 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

You have yet to prove anything to back up your claim; while I've managed to provide an example to the contrary, and can also prove that Mamboozo is an alias for Mike Tatum if you even care.

#24 Posted by Knives (711 posts) -

That's because it isn't provable. There isn't ever going to be any convincing evidence other than a direct quote saying, "I am bias".

#25 Posted by Mister_Snig (637 posts) -

FANBOY WARS

#26 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

That is a great news from Mamboozo ?!!!! 

#27 Posted by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

On the actual subject, Sweet Braid, now I'll be able to play it!

#28 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

So it'll be on Steam?

#29 Posted by piropeople13 (399 posts) -

Great Game: Check
Found 15 bucks: Check
DRM Light/Free: Check
Creator Of said game cares about user (my) rights as a consumer:  Double Check and Gold Star Sticker

DAY ONE PURCHASE HERE!!

#30 Posted by AspiringAndy (332 posts) -

Wohoo!
This should work on my crappy laptop!
I haven't even brought Braid on the 360 yet, I've heard pretty good things about it though.

#31 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4240 posts) -

Bout time.

#32 Posted by Kohe321 (3533 posts) -

Can't wait!

#33 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Only $15? Hell yes, I'll probably buy this now.

#34 Posted by Tebbit (4485 posts) -

I'm guessing it won't be coming out on Steam if Stardock announced it. The worlds first Impulse exclusive (lie) perhaps!? Alternatively, probably not, because Steam is rad.

#35 Posted by Parsnip (1116 posts) -
mamboozo transformed into Jeff overnight.
magic.
#36 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Maybe I should check out "World of Goo" sometime soon. But I am tired of whenever Jeff says he is not that interested in it and then people crap their pants. Seriously, give the dude a break. You can't expect him to like every single game that has been generally well-received.

As for Braid, I already have it but, for anyone who hasn't played it yet, buy it once it comes out. It is amazing and the price seems right.

#37 Edited by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
Tebbit said:
"I'm guessing it won't be coming out on Steam if Stardock announced it. The worlds first Impulse exclusive (lie) perhaps!? Alternatively, probably not, because Steam is rad."
Jonathon Blow said on his blog "Stardock is one of two or three Windows PC-oriented download sites that I have signed with. The others haven’t made their announcements yet, but when they do, I’ll post it here."
So it could very well be coming to Steam, since Stardock isn't the only service offering the game.

Also, "If Braid launches on Steam, it will support Achievements."
#38 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

And here's another juicy tidbit from Jonathon Blow:

I am going to start talking to Sony soon about a PSN version. A lot of people have been asking for that. But of course I can’t promise anything until a deal is signed!

#39 Posted by Atomic_Tangerine (359 posts) -

If you like to drink and get drunk or smoke and get high, they made a game for you.  It's called Braaaaid.  There ain't no point to the game.  It's like Mario from the future.  See, Mario's wearing a business suit and dyed his hair orange!

#40 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

If it has any chance of coming to Steam, I'm not getting it from another distributor, even if it releases earlier. I made that mistake with the Penny Arcade games and Playgreenhouse.

#41 Posted by Cerza (1653 posts) -

This is great news for PC gamers! I just hope it comes to Steam.

#42 Posted by kennybaese (683 posts) -

Hmm... Well, I really want to play this game, but if he's trying to get a PSN version out there... I might wait and get it there.

#43 Posted by KnightsofRound (486 posts) -

Cool.  Braid was one of the reasons why I wanted to get a 360, but seeing as that may take some time I'll definitely scoop this game up if it comes out on Steam.  To be perfectly honest I'd much rather play it on the PC than the 360 anyway.

#44 Posted by SunKing (686 posts) -

If I do buy the game, it will be on Impulse. The reliance gamers seem to put upon Steam is worrisome. Remember people, competition is good!

#45 Edited by Knives (711 posts) -
SunKing said:
"If I do buy the game, it will be on Impulse. The reliance gamers seem to put upon Steam is worrisome. Remember people, competition is good!
"

Most don't even know what Impulse is; there aren't many true PC-gamers left these days, ya'know. 

A quick lesson. Stardock is the Valve of strategy, and Impulse is a quality platform for distribution. Expand your horizons, Impulse isn't anything to be afraid of. Steam isn't the end all, be all source for digital distribution.
#46 Posted by theMcNasty (740 posts) -

On a side note, DRM is ruining PC Games today.  I've read a lot of information and viewpoints from both sides of the argument and I just can't find myself to side with DRM.  It just seems like the honest people are always getting punished for thievery.

#47 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Does $5 really matter? I mean, it's a fantastic indie PC game.

Braid's a great game. I'm glad that other people will be able to experience it.
#48 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -
LordAndrew said:
"And here's another juicy tidbit from Jonathon Blow:
I am going to start talking to Sony soon about a PSN version. A lot of people have been asking for that. But of course I can’t promise anything until a deal is signed!
Wow. That is big news if it actually goes through. This means I can buy Braid three times! SWEET!
#49 Posted by skywing (1153 posts) -

i'll get it if it comes out on steam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.