Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Braid

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 06, 2008

Manipulate time to complete puzzles in this 2D platform game made by indie developer Jonathan Blow.

Braid PC Pushed to 2009

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff

It always struck me as slightly odd that when Braid first broke our brains earlier this year, it was on the Xbox 360, not the PC. There's just something about the painterly art style, the dreamy instrumental soundtrack, the deliberately oblique storytelling, and the brainy puzzle action that screams “I AM TOO IMPORTANT TO BE EXPERIENCED ON A TELEVISION. ALSO, IS THIS COFFEE FAIR-TRADE?” I think it's an incredible, one-of-a-kind game, but it's got indie-game pretentiousness out the bing-bong. Creator Jonathan Blow had announced that a PC version was in the works, and would arrive before the end of 2008, though yesterday he updated his blog with perhaps the most practical and honest explanation for a game delay I've seen.

Once we slipped into mid-October and all the big Christmas-season blockbusters started coming out, it just seemed like a bad idea to schedule Braid for that time period, as it seems likely it’d get released and then disappear.

At this time, we’re looking at a window of February-March 2009 for the PC release. I know this isn’t good news for those of you who have been waiting a long time for the game, but there sure are lots of games out there for you to play in the meantime.

It even makes Donkey Kong seem indie.
    It seems so obvious! Even if your game is awesome, why put it out the one time of the year that you know the market is going to be flooded with competing products? Unless you're a top-five marquee name--and publishers, be honest with yourselves about the value of your properties--you're going to be fighting for Gears of War 2's scraps, and this year, there weren't many scraps to be had. I suppose there's something about this holiday-reliant formula that has been working for the games industry, and this whole economic freak-out hit so hard and so quick that none of the majors really had the time to react, which is why you're seeing quality stuff like Dead Space taking a beating at retail. The ability to be more nimble would seem to be one of the advantages of going indie.

In addition to the forthcoming PC version, there are also apparently talks for a Mac version of Braid, which Blow hopes would ship soon after the PC version. He also maintains his non-committal stance towards the PS3, stating that “a PS3 version a little later on remains a possibility (though again, this depends on whether Sony is interested in the game).”
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff

It always struck me as slightly odd that when Braid first broke our brains earlier this year, it was on the Xbox 360, not the PC. There's just something about the painterly art style, the dreamy instrumental soundtrack, the deliberately oblique storytelling, and the brainy puzzle action that screams “I AM TOO IMPORTANT TO BE EXPERIENCED ON A TELEVISION. ALSO, IS THIS COFFEE FAIR-TRADE?” I think it's an incredible, one-of-a-kind game, but it's got indie-game pretentiousness out the bing-bong. Creator Jonathan Blow had announced that a PC version was in the works, and would arrive before the end of 2008, though yesterday he updated his blog with perhaps the most practical and honest explanation for a game delay I've seen.

Once we slipped into mid-October and all the big Christmas-season blockbusters started coming out, it just seemed like a bad idea to schedule Braid for that time period, as it seems likely it’d get released and then disappear.

At this time, we’re looking at a window of February-March 2009 for the PC release. I know this isn’t good news for those of you who have been waiting a long time for the game, but there sure are lots of games out there for you to play in the meantime.

It seems so obvious! Even if your game is awesome, why put it out the one time of the year that you know the market is going to be flooded with competing products? Unless you're a top-five marquee name--and publishers, be honest with yourselves about the value of your properties--you're going to be fighting for Gears of War 2's scraps, and this year, there weren't many scraps to be had. I suppose there's something about this holiday-reliant formula that has been working for the games industry, and this whole economic freak-out hit so hard and so quick that none of the majors really had the time to react, which is why you're seeing quality stuff like Dead Space taking a beating at retail. The ability to be more nimble would seem to be one of the advantages of going indie.

In addition to the forthcoming PC version, there are also apparently talks for a Mac version of Braid, which Blow hopes would ship soon after the PC version. He also maintains his non-committal stance towards the PS3, stating that “a PS3 version a little later on remains a possibility (though again, this depends on whether Sony is interested in the game).”
    Callumrides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Callumrides

I have to Pick this up I heard alot of good things about it and gives me a reason to play some games on my pc.

MocPac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By MocPac

My time traveling potion tastes like Sunny-D and can only go forward at normal speed.

SuperMooseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4  Edited By SuperMooseman

Nice, I can't wait to experience this on my PC. It looks crazy!

Duckbutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Duckbutter

he went striaght to the Xbox cuz he knew he could make more jugs of money and name recognition quicker by goin in Xbox Live. who's gonna notice a small PC game? and how many duckets is he gonna make in the Jack Sparrow infested PC world compared to Xbox Live? so why waste time with the PC port?
    i dont get the PC delay. what shitty PC game in this holiday 08' shit-nursery of PC shit-ness is he competing with? especially since Braid is now household, held by houses everywhere.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Alphazero

Don't worry, the PC version has a green glow around it, so once you get to March 2009, hold down the time travel rewind potion button and you can play it right now. In fact, by now you might have played it already.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By yellownumber5

I don't see why Sony would say no to braid, the only thing Sony has been doing right is giving indie-style games a chance.  Still when it comes on PC I'll look it up, hopefully it will run on my aged PC.

kboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kboy

Releasing later might be a better opportunity for Soulja Boy's "Goin'-Back-In-Time Potion" energy drink. Tie-in!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24

Dead Space is doing poorly in sales? Ah, that's too bad.

digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By digital_sin

YAY, I sent in this news tip earlier today!
    Also, if you read the comments on his blog post you'll find a few extra tidbits like his plans for Steam and non-plans for WiiWare.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Holiday rush=fail. There is one winner, thats it. EVeryone else gets beaten to shit. Its a gamble, and its stupid unless you know your behind a game like Gears 2. Oh well, EVENTUALLY the copies will probably be sold either way, but if your looking to break records, you either need the biggest release of the year, or you need to wait.

In related news...
    I'm just happy to find out its coming to PC! I hope it runs on my shit computer ^.^ Even though I will most likely buy it on the 360 to enjoy joysticks and decent quality visuals. This and Trine are my big platformer games I wanna play. All I need to do is replace my 360 and wait for Trine so I can get it.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By sloppyjoe

This game is good like if you drink and get drunk or smoke and get high.  Like it's totally gonna win that giantbomb award y'all

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Systech

Jonathan Blow deserves a break, but it will be cool for PC players to finally experience the game.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Geno

Can we also get an explanation why Geometry Wars 2 isn't on Steam yet -.-

Avatar image for keanureevesmediocreactor
    KeanuReevesMediocreActor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I make habit of never buying game ported late to pc, it very insulting.

lolwut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lolwut

I didn't even know this was coming out on the PC. Finally, a free version.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stevokenevo

I keep meaning to get a 360 or ps3, but with so many great games coming to the pc (albeit later than the consoles and occasionally poorly done ports) such as Braid and Burnout Paradise, I'm finding it alot easier to just stick with what I got.  :D

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Media_Master

PC...

Enigma2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Enigma2099

He also maintains his non-committal stance towards the PS3, stating that “a PS3 version a little later on remains a possibility (though again, this depends on whether Sony is interested in the game).”

And with a comment like that, why the hell would they be?

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Wow, a small developer actually being smart about the holiday rush. I am both shocked and delighted.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cspiffo

I wonder if he added anything to the PC version to make a repurchase viable.  If it's the same as the 360 version I will pass.  Smart move though on Blow's part releasing it outside of the holiday season window.  Braid on PC just wouldn't make it right now.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Jayzilla

totally stoked that they waited til we all had enough money to pick this up when it comes out. i think braid will move a lot more units for the PC now that they pushed its release back. good move on their part.

igl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By igl

Steam?!

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
    lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By lightwarrior179

Braid is a fantastic game and I do agree that the game of Braid's kind is better experienced on a PC than on a TV screen.

Can't wait to try it out on PC when it comes out.
    topraman517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By topraman517

I have to at least try this game.  Hope it looks good on my decent laptop.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By Geno

Looks like it might be out soon on Steam, can't wait.

rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rexualhealing
    lolwut said:
    "I didn't even know this was coming out on the PC. Finally, a free version."
    I see what u did thar.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Red

Someone just phoenix downed a dead article.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.