Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Braid

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 06, 2008

Manipulate time to complete puzzles in this 2D platform game made by indie developer Jonathan Blow.

Give me a hint as to how Braid works

Sadaiyappan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sadaiyappan

Is it like Mega Man in which if you beat later stages you get abilities and can go back and get to things in the beginning stages that seemed impossible?  Or is this game really that tricky, and the only tools you have are the jump, time, and the keys?

stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By stafax

Each stage has different time manipulation and it's up to you to figure out how  to take advantage of the time manipulation so that you can solve the puzzles

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By owl_of_minerva

There is no backtracking or unlockable abilities . Although keep in mind you can use certain puzzle pieces in certain sections as platforms, that's the one thing that really threw me off in Braid.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By nukesniper
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " There is no backtracking or unlockable abilities . Although keep in mind you can use certain puzzle pieces in certain sections as platforms, that's the one thing that really threw me off in Braid. "
    @Sadaiyappan:
    And you only really use that once or twice. More often than not though, when faced with a puzzle you already have everything you need to solve it. They are just generally tough, but once you figure them out you will feel like a damn genius.  

So, no. You don't get new powers later in the game that you can take back with you, you just get new powers that are integral to solving the new puzzles. If you get the Time Slowing Ring (or whatever) you can't take it out of the world in which you get it. 

Good luck with Braid. I would recommend resisting the urge to look up the answers for some of them, as that will take away from the brilliance. You will get the "No one would think of this crap!" response instead of the " I'm a F***ING GENIUS!" response. Best of luck to you. Braid is tough, but I love it.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Winternet

There's no such thing in Braid, although you can come back to previous levels if you missed certain puzzle pieces.  
    Each world has a different time manipulation mechanic. You only use one in each world. It's not like when you reach world 5 you can use the mechanics you used in the previous worlds. 
    The game's difficulty relays on strategy more than on execution. Unlike SMB where you need to perfect your execution so you can complete the level, here you must think and try to decipher what is it you need to do so you can complete the level. 
    Braid is also not about reaching the end of the level, but getting all the puzzle pieces. There's where the difficulty stands. 
    Although it can be a difficult game and sometimes it may look like it is impossible, it's very satisfying when you finally do it. The implementation of the different mechanics is amazing and, really, there's nothing quite like it.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish

You have time and it never runs out. 

Go.

Sadaiyappan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sadaiyappan
    @Winternet said:
    " There's no such thing in Braid, although you can come back to previous levels if you missed certain puzzle pieces.  Each world has a different time manipulation mechanic. You only use one in each world. It's not like when you reach world 5 you can use the mechanics you used in the previous worlds. The game's difficulty relays on strategy more than on execution. Unlike SMB where you need to perfect your execution so you can complete the level, here you must think and try to decipher what is it you need to do so you can complete the level. Braid is also not about reaching the end of the level, but getting all the puzzle pieces. There's where the difficulty stands. Although it can be a difficult game and sometimes it may look like it is impossible, it's very satisfying when you finally do it. The implementation of the different mechanics is amazing and, really, there's nothing quite like it. "
    Not true.  There is a section in World 1 in the "Leap of Faith" level in which (at least the way I solved it, there could be other easier ways to do it) execution is key.  You have to time your jump perfectly to jump on a falling monster and then use the extra jump height to get to a normally inaccessible ledge.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Winternet
    @Sadaiyappan: Did you feel the need to try that jump 20 or 30 times? Besides, the rewind function lets you make tiny adjustments during the jump. I'm saying that after the thinking, the execution is usually easy. Yes, there maybe one or two puzzles that requires a little bit more finesse, but overall execution is the easy part of the puzzles.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It seems like a lot of people are are missing what was largely the point of Braid: The story and he way it ties into the gameplay. The mechanics are mind-blowing but they aren't just thrown at you, there's a reason they're all there. Before each world there's a few small pieces of text which advance the story and the game mechanics act as metaphors for the emotions in the story.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

It kicks you in the testicles and then stares you in the eyes to make sure you know how pretentious it is.

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By byrjun

Maybe Braid is pretentious, but at least it's trying to expand the horizon, isn't that credit due? I don't want to sound like a jerk, but fact of matter is that no one is forcing you to play the game. If you don't want to try/investigate what this game has to offer, don't play it. That's why I don't play CODBLOPS, because I don't think I will find things that will interest me, however I must respect that other people like it.
    If you go to something with shit-lenses on, then shit you will see. Personally I find Braid one of the most inspired things to happen to games in the last years. The idea of you being able to blaze through the levels, not completing the puzzles if you don't feel like it, is an expression towards the way we percieve games as something you by all means have to finish, and thus get your points for doing so, being able to tell the world that you actually completed the game. If, however, you want to meet some interesting thoughts and views of time, brougt into play, course and action, that asks you to play along and try to bend the rules of the game as mucn as you can, then you might just end up with some knowledge about the mechanics of time that you weren't previously aware of. That happened to me, anyway. So yes, essentially the only tools you have is time, jump and the keys, but the way I see it, the game is less about what actually happens on screen, than what you have to put your own mind into thinking. In some sense, I would actually contend that this game has the ability to educate you in the dynamics of time in a way you'd only be able to otherwise understand if you had a really vivid scientific foundation of a college degree or something like that. As for the story, there is somewhat of a beauty to the ambiguity of ot, because it appears everyone has their own opinion of what it means, which is excellent, because there never is ONE objective truth, there is only subjective perception.  To me the princess is not  a physical character, it's a term for human zeal and will. This will is reflected upon the player, who always wants to complete the goal, to achieve (greatness). But each time you reach your destined horizon, you want something more. Thus, the princess is not in the castle you thought, and you will never be able to be happy if you keep on putting your happiness on your horizon. I guess I could write an article about all this, I'll cut off now and just leave you with my recommendation of: 
    If you want to find out why some people are all about this game, you kinda have to make an effort to "meet" it, by trying to go to the game in ways you're not used to in others. This is not a difficult task, it is just different.  
    /rant

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still need to beat this game. Got stuck once and refuse to look up how to do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.