fat_otter's Touhoku Daigaku Mirai Kagaku Gijutsu Kyoudou Kenkyuu Center: Kawashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu: Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training (Nintendo DS) review

While casual gamers will go nuts over this, the hardcore will be

Brain Age seemed like a really good idea at the time. An educational videogame that let you do simple brain exercises to keep your noggin thinking. And while it's fun for a few months, you'll end up not caring about it in the future. In Brain Age, you create a profile by giving some personal information, and then doing some brain exercises to determine your "brain age." (How old your brain really is compared to your own age.) You have a friendly Japanese doctor and college professor help you along and give you tips. He's probably the coolest thing about this game. He'll even fall asleep in the options menu, tell you about your birthday, and gets angry when you haven't been playing for a while. But that's the problem about this game. It expects you to play every day, doing simple exercises ranging from simple math, to reading literature aloud. But the whole routine-thing is not something gamers are used to. We're used to turning on the game when we want, and play until we want, but we don't expect a game that tells us that we NEED to play, which is the ultimate reason of why this game is aimed toward casual gamers. If you are a casual gamer, or not even a gamer at all, feel free to pick this game up, you'll probably enjoy it, but if you're a hardcore gamer like me, and prefer to stomp on Goombas and kill aliens, you won't get much out of Brain Age which is why my score is somewhat low.

Other reviews for Touhoku Daigaku Mirai Kagaku Gijutsu Kyoudou Kenkyuu Center: Kawashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu: Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training (Nintendo DS)

Blue. Blue? BAH-LOO! Dammit! 0

Honestly, I'm not really even sure that Brain Age is a game, at least in the familiar sense of the word.  But none-the-less, Brain Age is definitely worth checking out.  The "software" as the game refers to itself as attempts to jog your post-high school brain back into a workout by throwing various mathematical and grammatical puzzles at you, often in rapid succession.  This may sound like an awful way to spend your time to some, but Nintendo has presented the tests in such a way that is f...