Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brave Fencer Musashi

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 10, 1998

After being summoned to another world, the brash young swordsman Musashi embarks on a quest to save the peaceful Allucaneet Kingdom from the evil Thirstquencher Empire.

The Best Games Ever! ...According to me: BRAVE FENCER MUSASHI

• 84 results
    clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I used to loved this game, it was one the first games that it was fully voiced, beginning to end. Also, I remember playing the remake for the PS2, which it was terrible.

shishkebab09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

This game is absolutely fantastic. One of my favorites as a kid.

Signus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By Signus

Anyone who has played Musashi and didn't love it is on some crazy drugs. It was a wonderfully insane product of the times and I honestly adore every cheese eating, figure collecting, giant adventuring bit of it.

Well, except for the steam tree. That was garbage.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Okay, I haven't read this yet - but I frickin' LOOOOVED Brave Fencer Musashi when I was younger. I don't remember completing it, so it's actually on my to-play list when I get some time. I absolutely loved the 90's era anime feel, the cheesy but great voice acting and the simple to play gameplay. Goddamn what a game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Brave Fencer Musashi is a game that passed me by at release because I didn't own a PS1 at the time, and I never did get around to playing it. I really need to change that one of these days. It's a game that's always fascinated me.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brave Fencer Musashi is a gem.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have this game It has been sitting on my shelf since 1998. I never finished it.

the music was better than the game.

theeasternbloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brave Fencer Musashi is one of the greatest games I've ever played. Even though I don't own a Playstation system anymore, I still have BFM in my bookcase. Every time I sold or traded games, I just could never part with Musashi. Time to play that shit again.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Comprehensive List of Things I Know About Brave Fencer Musashi: samurai, squaresoft, playstation 1, same voice as Izzy from Digimon.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

brave fencer musashi is definitely one of my favourite games of all time. glad it's getting some love.

superscott597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm right there with you. LOVED BFM as a kid.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually thinking of playing this again from a completely objective point of view and see if it's actually a good game without rose tinted glasses.

year199X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By year199X

This was definitely one of the defining games of my childhood. Glad to see I'm not the only one in the world who played it.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By Keeng

I agree that it's a fantastic game and I think your connection to that event in your life is pretty cool. There are plenty of games (and platforms) that I have that sort of connection to so that was great to read. I may end up downloading that game. I don't think I've played it since renting it back in '98 and I know I never finished it. And you ain't lyin about that soundtrack.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

payed it once, when I was a little kid. it was like Mega Man, but with swords.

Giggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You made light of what being the parent of a mentally challenged child is like, while talking about a video game you enjoy. I don't understand how you think it's acceptable to do that, or how other posters could defend it.

Making that comparison in the first place is offensive. Taking it further and making the punchline to a "joke" the idea that mentally challenged kids just walk headfirst into walls is despicable.

You can take this comment as me being easily offended, or that I don't understand what you meant, but I felt the need to say this. At least give this sort of thing more thought in the future. Please.

CityName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_: THIS GAME THOUGH! I played it for the first time as a demo on a PS1 disk that came with a magazine I bought one day with my allowance when I was 7 (It also included a demo of Cool Boarders 3). I had completely forgotten the title of it until I saw this on the community highlights. It's been bugging me for 14 years. Thank you so much for this, truly. I can't wait to track it down and finally play the full game.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

@cityname: Glad I could be of service! I hope you can find a copy for a reasonable price and enjoy it as much as I did.

On1inepersona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By On1inepersona

I love this game and agree its probably one of the best ever made. Gonna go dust my copy off and give it a go again.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By Klei

This article made me go read Musashi's wikipedia page, along with the one for seppuku. Very interesting stuff.

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By gesi1223

I don't even have to finish reading your post. (No offense) Because I KNOW I love this game to death and I agree with you that it's a little disheartening to not see it mentioned more often these days. I could not recommend this game more to anyone wanting a good, funny and classic game. Brave Fencer Musashi will be one of my top games for life.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always wanted to play Brave Fencer but didnt get to it.

TheChristoph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TheChristoph

I'm confused. The link on the main page led to this thread, which says it was posted by OneKillWonder_, but the first post is by RenegadeSaint. Seems like there's supposed to be an article or something here but I don't see it.

Brave Fencer Musashi was my first Playstation game along with Castlevania SOTN. I bought it because I wanted something sort of like Zelda, and I sort of got that. But I never got the timing of the attacks, I didn't get far in the game, and I hardly played it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#75  Edited By jakob187

Interesting to see all this love for the game. The last time I had ever mentioned it, people seemed to just thoroughly loathe everything about its existence.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By Deusoma

@mormonwarrior said:

This game was pretty rad. I remember being confused by the whole passage of time/time limit thing though.

EDIT: I think it's great, but c'mon man...it's no Ocarina of Time. I'd accept an argument that it's better than Majora's Mask, sure, but nothing beats Ocarina of Time. And I'm a huge PlayStation-era Square fan.

Curiously enough, I'd say Majora's Mask beats Ocarina of Time, hands down. I can't really say how either of them compare to Musashi, however, as it's been goddamn ages since I played that game and I barely remember it. Though I suppose that says something all on its own, hmm?

EDIT: Oh, shit, didn't realize that this was from a month ago, saw the thread on the frontpage and assumed it was new. My bad. :P

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I'm confused. The link on the main page led to this thread, which says it was posted by OneKillWonder_, but the first post is by RenegadeSaint. Seems like there's supposed to be an article or something here but I don't see it.

Exactly what I was thinking. What happened to this thread?

Xaelath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Xaelath

Agreed its been almost 12 years since i finished BFM ever since that time i never found any game like this. Of course i played others game as well but these game is never erased from my memories and i wonder why. If you calling a jrpg type game in psx theres also FFVII and Breath of Fire. because the game ost was to great I downloaed all Original Sound Track of BFM. Its just awesome rather than any game i've ever met (even KoH) because its "Matched" with the game thats all.

And the game it self also interesting. From Real Time Based Day/Night and nature,Combo System,Item Usage, Level Grinding/Stats, Puzzles , Toys?? WT!F?!,.. , Story Line,Full Voice Acted,Background music (10/10 trust me), etc.

Cons :

Graphics : (if you compare it to any other games now ,of course it was shitty but now if you compared it to another game in ps1 you'll be truly amazed.)

Voice Acting : (I found it musashi, himself was really annoying and the voice acting wasnt really good but deal with it. Its PS1 1998) it was the first. nail it.

2D Images/Avatar : too small and musashi is somewhat look awkward except in PS 2 where he look better than this one and some other is well designed.

Weapon System : He only use 2 Swords which is a small katana (Fusion Sword) and Lumina that can be upgraded. And no other weps.

World is too small : Because the bgm and voice acting took all the memory (About 200mb+). Come to think of it theres plenty of dungeon there so not bad. i'll remove this one.

Few Characters and Development : Unlike the sequel, Musashi only got villagers to save and handle that do quest and things(Forget the Thirstquencher Empire most of em was fag except topo that dance dance fgt). Musashi also got rival that you fight once (YOLO) and princess that you only met few times.

Not noob Friendly : theres things i wanted to say in this games. It is a rage game where you can die (ALOT) and plenty hardly solved puzzle and fking bosses (which is exiciting). Started from Broken fking Steam Tree, "Waters/Spikes" , Tree Logs/Fgt Gondola/Acid and Ants or maybe Dance dance with Topo. and the final boss. you run but you already dead

Item Drop? : Sorry you only can buy it from the stores except quest item

Bosses : The boss is very interesting when you try to find the weakness except when you can kill it with only a few hit.

EXP system is really weird here : play your self you'll found out

What makes it TheBest?

Time Based : (Ever met game that like harvest moon but jrpg? oh yeah you can sleep too watching those people fast foward or waiting vambee coming pass thru) and dont get sleepy you'll barely cant slash with your lumina (You can get tired and you also got a private room)

Background Music : Consider the ost itself better than the game

Fully voice acted : In ps1? hell yeah

Hack n Slash : From damage , defense and critical.

A room with a toy : A laughed when this one come where you can go to Toy Stores and played it in your room and some toys was also voice acted.

Save the People from Castle which Turned to a crystal : Save em then talk to them when you save em they'll give you something which helpfull or something else like bgm or information and quest.

Library : in the game nerds? you will understand why theres a library here when you played it

Suck the enemy and take their skills : Using your bp to convert it to magic.

Awesome Bosses : note here even though some bosses is easy to kill but they got very intersting look and tactics to defeat. The BGM also matched the bosses section here. From Skeleton Scorpion Dinosaur,Racist Eyed Relic Rock,Frozen Dragon (This one my favorites),Mother of Ants,

Minigames : Topo dance or die. more like dance or get screwed never finished the games. i never considered her as bosses. Bowling some Vambees. i mean srsly! a monster that become a bowling games? please dont bother the steams. even cheating doesnt mean you can easly finish it when it was your first game.

Equipment or Legendary Items : Add abilities such as double jump,Identifying,etc

Combos/Techniques : Usefull to kick some pain in the but monsters

Days and Money : 24/7 and bucks to buy toys

Crest Guardians/Lumina Elements : Which is main thing in the game. Theres 6 of it.These creatures protect the crests of the five elements (Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, and Sky). The first was normal so that make it six.

Secrets : Every game has one right? but not all of them

The Game World : Even though it was small its definitely worth your time playing this games. but smalls doesnt meant theres only a few places to go. Read quote below. Mean it can cost 1 hour or more to walking around game.

Environmental variety isn't a problem. Forests, mines, ice fortresses, flying sky bases, ancient underground ruins, the game has it all!

Thats all i can say about this game and i still own the original game espcially some broken unfounded games in ps1 (like Legend of Legaia that got damaged badly in iso so that mean you can play it till credits). And you asking how do i finish the game at the first time? Codebreaker they said. play cheat they said. its going to be easy they said. not until you found musashi got bugged.

About the sequel : they done pretty well except for the bgm and the story line. Added some characters that make the games refreshing . Added Japanese Anime art(Characters). More Minigames(Riding motorcycles? why not lol). in the end i still did play the game but only for a few hours.

If theres a better remake than the sequel. i do pay for 60 bucks.

UchihaWannabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was searching for the same game like brave fencer musashi until I read this. if u ask me...this game is legend. so far these are a few games that give me the same feeling when I play it "megaman legend, Alundra(not sure there is Alundra 1 and 2 I play it realy long time ago), trade of fate, dark cloud 2". if u know more please tell me the list. we probably like the same kind of game. and I'm sorry for my bad english.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uchihawannabe: Hey, duder! Unfortunately I have even fewer games that give me that same feeling than you do. Megaman Legends is definitely one of them. I don't know if you've ever played Megaman Legends 2, but it's even better than the first and is worth seeking out, although it is very rare and expensive. Both MMLs are some of my favorite games, and I may give them the same blog treatment as Musashi and Parasite Eve 2 someday.

Jaroof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES!!

I bookmarked this thread. I love the hell out of this game.

Huntin 4 Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man Brave Fencer Musashi was one of my all time favorites. It was awesome how it developed the town and world surrounding it, and you'd have to revisit areas as the story progressed and changed the world and its inhabitants.

May not sound too impressive but in the PS1 era as a kid? Blew my mind.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe it's been nearly two years since I wrote this. Holy shit, does time fly. Now that I'm just about done with school, I should definitely do more.

It's still awesome to see new people sharing my love for this great little gem, though. I almost wanna play through it again.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By kishinfoulux

One of the best Zelda games ever made. Had so much personality, humor, fun mechanics, etc. Also showed why Square, at the time, was untouchable IMHO. They could do whatever they wanted.

MrSensible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got a nice complete copy of BFM and have been really enjoying it! I realize this thread's getting on in years, but I wanted to share some Musashi love anyway!

P.S.: Fuck those two Steamwood meltdown sequences forever!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.