Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bravoman

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released May 1988

A Super Sentai parody action game released for Arcades, TurboGrafx-16, and Wii Shop. It later became a webcomic and webtoon.

Octurbo: Bravoman

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

All right, let's move on from the RPGs. The only thing I had left was Order of the Griffon, and it's about as impenetrable as any of the Gold Box D&D games. Well, maybe it isn't that obtuse, but it's another first-person dungeon crawler and I've seen quite enough of those for the time being.

Instead, we're moving onto a new theme. As someone who is frequently associated with hyper-masculinity (this is emphatically untrue, but stick with me here, I'm doing a bit), it's hard to find games that are able to reflect my lumberjackian levels of testosterone. The games I'll be covering all this week all have "man" in the title, is basically what this is, because I noticed there was a lot of them and I'm running out of rational ways to thematically link these games together.

The first is Namco's Bravoman. A bizarre but inconsequential curio back in the day, the telescopic superhero has gained something of a minor resurgence of late due to his prominence in Namco Bandai's ShiftyLook campaign to resurrect various old licenses of theirs via webcomics and cartoons. Why they couldn't just release another dozen Namco Museum games or give them all cameos in the next Tales as per usual I'm not sure. Bravoman's a "parodic" superhero game, ridiculing the po-faced tokusatsu superhero shows that were a thing in Japan and decidedly less of a thing in the US. For all this pre-amble leading up to the part where I post a lot of pictures, I don't really have a lot to say about it.

This Week on "Bravoman": The Real Housewives of VILLAINY

Welcome to Bravoman! I have to admit, that's a neat logo.
    Welcome to Bravoman! I have to admit, that's a neat logo.
    You don't see it here, but the evil Dr Bomb has this really bizarre hand stabbing animation whenever he talks. And when he talks, he says
    You don't see it here, but the evil Dr Bomb has this really bizarre hand stabbing animation whenever he talks. And when he talks, he says "I am Dr. Bomb!" Like we still wouldn't get it after the fifteenth time.
    So this is the game. It's mostly a side-scrolling beat 'em up type deal, though not so in-depth that enemies have health bars or anything. I just run right and Dhalsim anything that looks at me funny.
    So this is the game. It's mostly a side-scrolling beat 'em up type deal, though not so in-depth that enemies have health bars or anything. I just run right and Dhalsim anything that looks at me funny.
    This floating shark thing will be the first to feel my wrath.
    No wait, I guess he's my friend from Planet Alpha. Or Alfa. I'll save the kicking for later, then.
    No wait, I guess he's my friend from Planet Alpha. Or Alfa. I'll save the kicking for later, then.
    Sure, man, I got nothing better to do.
    Sure, man, I got nothing better to do.
    After a brief tutorial level, Professor Broccoli sends out his robotic corps. Finally, some real trouble.
    After a brief tutorial level, Professor Broccoli sends out his robotic corps. Finally, some real trouble.
    This... is some kind of fish in a pipe?
    This... is some kind of fish in a pipe?
    And these are little RC cars and copters?
    And these are little RC cars and copters?
    This flame robot's kind of co0l, which is why I stood safely outside his range and kicked him to death.
    This flame robot's kind of co0l, which is why I stood safely outside his range and kicked him to death.
    This wheel guy is apparently
    This wheel guy is apparently "Lottery Man" and occasionally drops by to give you health and bonuses. So, a bit like Eddie in Mega Man, that one game where you're a blue robot fighting machines built by a bushy-haired lunatic doctor.
    The first boss is this underwhelming totem pole. Remember when totem pole enemies used to be everywhere? Did they vanish when we all decided to be a little more culturally sensitive towards Native Americans?
    The first boss is this underwhelming totem pole. Remember when totem pole enemies used to be everywhere? Did they vanish when we all decided to be a little more culturally sensitive towards Native Americans?
    Oh yeah, I blew it up. I think I even ended that battle with more health somehow.
    Oh yeah, I blew it up. I think I even ended that battle with more health somehow.
    Lottery Man is kind enough to pay for dinner.
    Lottery Man is kind enough to pay for dinner.
    Though by
    Though by "pay for dinner" I mean he's going to roll riceballs across the ground in the most grossly condescending way possible. Like I'm so desperate for healing that I'm going to eat onigiri that's been rolling around on the sidewalk? (Yes.)
    I'd love to fight whatever the hell that is, but I've suddenly caught a mysterious case of food poisoning from somewhere. Time to bring this to a close.
    I'd love to fight whatever the hell that is, but I've suddenly caught a mysterious case of food poisoning from somewhere. Time to bring this to a close.

Bravoman's fun enough on a rudimentary level, but there's nothing particularly remarkable about it. The TurboGrafx-16 kind of hovered between the 8-bit and 16-bit era, so you'll see plenty of its games hearken back to a more innocent time where all you needed to do was to walk right and hit dudes occasionally. The stretchy powers both enhance the player's arsenal of moves while also allowing them to stand safely far away from any danger, so it kind of feels like a double-edged sword. Or a double-length arm. I don't know. I feel like a lot of the humor and references might have got lost in the translation too.

But hey, it looks like Namco's doing some weird and interesting stuff with the character now. On top of the ShiftyLook media, there's also a new tablet game called Bravoman: Binja Bash. On the one hand, I have to imagine Bravoman is a hopelessly obscure game even in regions that actually got to play it and so all the attention and funding being put towards its resurrection is kind of baffling; but on the other hand - that is, the one that I've been using to flip off Capcom for mishandling all of its legacy properties besides Street Fighter - I can totally get behind any weird attempts to tap into nostalgic appeal like this. Namco's never one to toss an idea or an old character to the wayside, even if it's just some blue guy with extendo-limbs that everyone's forgotten about.

< Back to Octurbo

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Video_Game_King

Hmm, can't tell if I should go with a Johnny Bravo joke or a Yatterman joke. I'm guessing the former, since there probably aren't a lot of people here who even know what the hell a Yatterman is. I guess my point is that there'd better be some monkey doing in this blog.

@mento said:

I guess that'll do.

I heard a magical unicorn girl sealed them away in the Sponge Dimension.

I think that's enough needlessly obscure references for today.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.