Breach Sees Delay, New Mode Being Added Just Because

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Atomic Games' Xbox Live Arcade game, Breach, has been pushed back from its expected summer release despite work being finished on the project. The studio now expects it, and the PC version, to hit much later in January 2011. No meaningful reason as to why it was delayed has been given, other than Atomic missed the "small window with Microsoft." Maybe it wants to move away from the seemingly successful release of Blacklight: Tango Down? Or maybe the developer just needs a bit more time with it. It's easy to want to get suspicious when developers delay games that they refer to as completed.

As a result of this release shift, Atomic will be dropping a new mode, dubbed hardcore, into the game. The mode is being described as something Atomic created as some sort of military training aid, and will be one among a couple of new features the studio has been "thinking of adding to the title" before this news broke.

“While work on Breach is actually done, we did miss our small window with Microsoft to get it up on Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 in late June as we had planned," Atomic president Peter Tamte said in a statement. "Luckily, there were features we had been thinking of adding to the title, and now we have the opportunity to do just that. Unlike with Six Days in Fallujah, which was delayed indefinitely when Konami pulled out, we are publishing Breach ourselves, and it will be out in January," he continued.

Breach is a military first-person shooter game with a multiplayer focus. Its big twist is its destruction engine, which allows users to destroy cover and blast out even lone bricks on the sides of buildings. From what I've seen of the game, it looked good. I didn't have issues with the controls like others, but I did take a critical note on the cover system. When a person enters cover, the camera detaches and hovers in 3rd-person, gifting the user with relatively cozy total battlefield awareness. This kind of stuff never bodes well for a sim, especially one so purely focused on its multiplayer.    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Atomic Games' Xbox Live Arcade game, Breach, has been pushed back from its expected summer release despite work being finished on the project. The studio now expects it, and the PC version, to hit much later in January 2011. No meaningful reason as to why it was delayed has been given, other than Atomic missed the "small window with Microsoft." Maybe it wants to move away from the seemingly successful release of Blacklight: Tango Down? Or maybe the developer just needs a bit more time with it. It's easy to want to get suspicious when developers delay games that they refer to as completed.

As a result of this release shift, Atomic will be dropping a new mode, dubbed hardcore, into the game. The mode is being described as something Atomic created as some sort of military training aid, and will be one among a couple of new features the studio has been "thinking of adding to the title" before this news broke.

“While work on Breach is actually done, we did miss our small window with Microsoft to get it up on Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 in late June as we had planned," Atomic president Peter Tamte said in a statement. "Luckily, there were features we had been thinking of adding to the title, and now we have the opportunity to do just that. Unlike with Six Days in Fallujah, which was delayed indefinitely when Konami pulled out, we are publishing Breach ourselves, and it will be out in January," he continued.

Breach is a military first-person shooter game with a multiplayer focus. Its big twist is its destruction engine, which allows users to destroy cover and blast out even lone bricks on the sides of buildings. From what I've seen of the game, it looked good. I didn't have issues with the controls like others, but I did take a critical note on the cover system. When a person enters cover, the camera detaches and hovers in 3rd-person, gifting the user with relatively cozy total battlefield awareness. This kind of stuff never bodes well for a sim, especially one so purely focused on its multiplayer.    
#2 Edited by Castiel (2705 posts) -

dfadsfasd 

Edit: YES... yes I finally got it. :D 

I'm so sorry about this, but now I can go back to just enjoy the post/videos.

#3 Posted by Darko (115 posts) -

"military training aid"

Fucking lol.

#4 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -
@Castiel said:
" dfadsfasd   "

I agree.
#5 Posted by SSully (4279 posts) -
@Darko said:
" "military training aid"  Fucking lol. "
Ik, out military will finally learn how to properly use a third person view while in battle!
#6 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

God damnit, you cannot use "just because" in the article title/subtitle on a videogame website without the story being about Avalanche Studios or the Just Cause franchise.

#7 Posted by Skytylz (4037 posts) -

Dang, this is the closest I've ever been.

#8 Posted by racer0940 (12 posts) -

woot, I was afraid this game had dissapeared, I'm happy to see something about it.

#9 Posted by TheIneffableBob (243 posts) -

I hope it has dedicated servers.

#10 Posted by Even (70 posts) -
@MrKlorox: And here I thought they were adding a Just Cause mode.
#11 Posted by afrokola (547 posts) -

I played this at PAX, I was not impressed.

#12 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -

Fuck Breach, I want Six Days in Fallujah!

#13 Posted by Bummey (615 posts) -

Another multiplayer first person shooter with a modern military setting?  Great!

#14 Posted by Grilledcheez (3956 posts) -

...Never heard of it till now.  Not like I have the HDD space to DL it anyway...I really need that new Xbox.

#15 Posted by Robopengy (479 posts) -

Am I the only one who keeps reading Breach and thinks they're talking about Brink?

#16 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -
@Robopengy: Maybe, but I first thought this was about Reach being delayed.
#17 Posted by tnecniv (51 posts) -

When a person enters cover, the camera detaches and hovers in 3rd-person, gifting the user with relatively cozy total battlefield awareness. This kind of stuff never bodes well for a sim, especially one so purely focused on its multiplayer.    

This sounds like Rainbow 6 (Vegas) to me, which had plenty of fun multiplayer.
#18 Posted by glanesb (151 posts) -

Breach...right on

#19 Posted by edge426 (155 posts) -
@Robopengy: you are not alone.
#20 Posted by XenoZak (170 posts) -
@glanesb said:
" Breach...right on "
Time?

no
#21 Posted by glanesb (151 posts) -
@XenoZak: still looking for that divorce lawyer....pref. a gamer...-sigh-
#22 Posted by MasterChief360 (176 posts) -

On destruction, I hope Bodycount could do better than this one.

#23 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

darn i was actually looking forward to this game.

#24 Posted by ProlificShadow (399 posts) -
@Robopengy: 

No, you are not the only one.
#25 Posted by Jazz (2294 posts) -

Man, I was hoping it was a game about that DC hero that replaced Captain Atom for like...20 seconds or something. 
Oh well..military shooter again huh?

#26 Posted by DarthB (260 posts) -

I'm actually interested in seeing how this one pans out.  I really love the destructibility in Bad Company 2 and Red Faction Guerrilla, I'm hoping this game takes it a step further.
I really hope that more games have destructibility in them going forward.  If a game dev doesn't want me to attempt to use a grenade or rocket to put holes in the environment then don't give the player the tools that would cause that kind of destruction.  If this game does destruction better than full retail games, then I'll really be expecting them to step it up.

#27 Posted by qwertyjuice (1 posts) -
@BradNicholson:  I just got it but the Microsoft points r glitched i have 1200 it says it cost -1 then it says i need 32432543252354324 like all that after all it just came out :P getting the trial game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.