Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Breach

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jan 26, 2011

Breach is a downloadable multiplayer FPS by Atomic Games "based on the elite CIA Special Activities Division officers".

Breaching Atomic's New Shooter

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Taking cover of your own while blowing apart the other guy's seems like a focus in Breach. 
    Taking cover of your own while blowing apart the other guy's seems like a focus in Breach. 
    It's a simple and solid idea: the developer behind the controversial and still-unpublished Six Days In Fallujah didn't want to be known as the guys that make games that don't come out. So they've taken the technology from Six Days and applied it to a downloadable, multiplayer-focused shooter. So this summer, Atomic Games will be self-publishing a game called Breach.

It's a team-based game, and the version that was on display at PAX East showcased a standard control point capture mode. Players can choose from a handful of classes, which determines your weapon loadout. The rifleman, for example, has access to a rifle-mounted grenade launcher. Weapons caches around the map will give players the opportunity to grab an RPG launcher. Destructive weapons make their impact felt on the environment, as walls and other objects in the world can be blown apart. Though I didn't see it for myself, it sounds snipers will be able to shoot out individual bricks in some walls. Overall, the destruction looked pretty cool.

The game also utilizes a cover system. You'll click the right stick in to get into and out of cover, and once you're stuck to an object, you can move around behind it and lean out to the side or up and over to take shots from relative safety. Of course, most of the cover that I saw wasn't especially solid, so other players with RPGs and grenades tend to make hiding behind stuff a little more dangerous than you might be used to.

What I saw didn't look especially different than some of the other multiplayer shooters out there on the market, but its downloadable nature does put it in somewhat-more-exclusive company. Atomic Games currently estimates that the game will sell for $15 when it hits sometime this summer. Additionally, the company is still working to find a publisher for Six Days In Fallujah, and those meetings are apparently ongoing.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    It's a simple and solid idea: the developer behind the controversial and still-unpublished Six Days In Fallujah didn't want to be known as the guys that make games that don't come out. So they've taken the technology from Six Days and applied it to a downloadable, multiplayer-focused shooter. So this summer, Atomic Games will be self-publishing a game called Breach.

It's a team-based game, and the version that was on display at PAX East showcased a standard control point capture mode. Players can choose from a handful of classes, which determines your weapon loadout. The rifleman, for example, has access to a rifle-mounted grenade launcher. Weapons caches around the map will give players the opportunity to grab an RPG launcher. Destructive weapons make their impact felt on the environment, as walls and other objects in the world can be blown apart. Though I didn't see it for myself, it sounds snipers will be able to shoot out individual bricks in some walls. Overall, the destruction looked pretty cool.

The game also utilizes a cover system. You'll click the right stick in to get into and out of cover, and once you're stuck to an object, you can move around behind it and lean out to the side or up and over to take shots from relative safety. Of course, most of the cover that I saw wasn't especially solid, so other players with RPGs and grenades tend to make hiding behind stuff a little more dangerous than you might be used to.

What I saw didn't look especially different than some of the other multiplayer shooters out there on the market, but its downloadable nature does put it in somewhat-more-exclusive company. Atomic Games currently estimates that the game will sell for $15 when it hits sometime this summer. Additionally, the company is still working to find a publisher for Six Days In Fallujah, and those meetings are apparently ongoing.
    ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ProjektGill

Haha that cover in the picture does not look like it should stay up like that. Anyways with this and Hydrophobia, seems we are getting games of a much higher quality on XBLA.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By JeevesPleez

I'm happy to see Atomic is still alive and kicking. From what I can see, the destruction looks pretty crazy. I'll have to keep an eye on this...

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

Sounds like it's taking cues from existing games and mashing them together. Not a bad thing really though I'm getting pretty burned out on online shooters at this stage.

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mattjam3000

I do not want to see people saying DESTRUCTION 2.0 is much better! Well, yes and no, BC2 had a huge budget, and is a full release. This will be a damn arcade release, If they stand true and say individual bricks can be shot out, then this will infact, maybe be even better than D2.0.

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Lambert
    @mattjam3000 said:
    " I do not want to see people saying DESTRUCTION 2.0 is much better! Well, yes and no, BC2 had a huge budget, and is a full release. This will be a damn arcade release, If they stand true and say individual bricks can be shot out, then this will infact, maybe be even better than D2.0. "
    No one has even played the game yet, so how could they even say that? Oh, you are talking about Battlefield fanboys.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

This just makes it worse v.v Insult to injury. I was really looking forward to the game.

LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LincoIn

Smart move by Atomic although I probably won't play it the won't take a complete loss on 6DiF.

LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LincoIn

Smart move by Atomic, won't take a complete loss on 6DiF. Looks pretty generic to me but I'll hold off judgment until I've played a demo.

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mattjam3000
    @Lambert said:
    " @mattjam3000 said:
    " I do not want to see people saying DESTRUCTION 2.0 is much better! Well, yes and no, BC2 had a huge budget, and is a full release. This will be a damn arcade release, If they stand true and say individual bricks can be shot out, then this will infact, maybe be even better than D2.0. "
    No one has even played the game yet, so how could they even say that? Oh, you are talking about Battlefield fanboys. "
    During a video interview from PAX, I think on Dtoid, one of the Devs said "I have not seen a better destruction engine", so I imagine the Battlefield fans are going to get their pitchforks. (I love Battlefield as well)
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smart move, I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By TheMasterDS

I like the idea of using the engine to make a smaller game for downloadable platforms. Almost reminds me of EA's Paid Demo idea they've going, except it sounds a lot better.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jmrwacko

I saw this at PAX. Destruction is impressive (think those crazy nVidia physics tech demos with collapsing buildings), but the graphics suck and the shooting is janky as hell. Don't think it will be much good.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By MeatSim

At 15 dollars this might not be bad.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Maybe, we'll see.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Jackel2072

il keep an eye on it

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By BraveToaster

Doesn't seem interesting at all.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By ptys

Looks like MS attempt to go a little MAG. It does look okay, but I think Killzone's cover system is best for FPS. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrKlorox

Might end up alright. Without any type of pedigree, we really don't know how this game will turn out.

edit: Just watched an X-Play interview where Atmoic Games predisent Peter Tatme called their destruction model "Destruction 3.0". Sounds like a direct response to Bad Company 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.