Thank goodness for the manditory XBLA trial

#1 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

If you watched the QL, you know the game wasn't looking pretty, but I had the night off and a pretty strong desire to put some holes in fools, but didn't have the gumption to play BF:BC2:V so I downloaded the trial for this.   Mood I was in, I might have bought this if it were not for the MS requirement for trial/demo versions on all arcade games.

They give you 30mins of play time (politely stopping the clock when you are waiting to spawn and such), but I only needed 20 minutes to have five hosts drop on me, and more importantly to be dumbstruck by the shoddy quality of this game.  This game doesn't seem all that different from my vague memories of laying Novalogic's Delta Force - it was unresponsive and I guess it might be latency or poor netcode - but it felt like half of my deaths were double-kills with either myself or my attacker dying half a second later, it was ugly to the point I was thinking about voxels, and the HUD items, with their large, opaque blue and red text was like something out of 1998.

So yeah, these guys made this game when Six Days in Falluja went south?  I wonder what would have happened if that game came out - would it be janky as shit like Breach, or did something happen between Six Days and releasing Breach - like massive layoffs of all the seasoned programmers, or a negative budget balance?

Anyways, don't even bother with the trial - take GB's advice and put that money toward BC2:Vietnam or CoD:Blops maps if you want to extend your online FPSing.

#2 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -
@Stahlbrand said:
" So yeah, these guys made this game when Six Days in Falluja went south?  I wonder what would have happened if that game came out - would it be janky as shit like Breach, or did something happen between Six Days and releasing Breach - like massive layoffs of all the seasoned programmers, or a negative budget balance?   "
You didn't know they were "Badly wounded" by layoffs after Six Days went belly up. But yeah, the game didn't look that impressive going by the quicklook. Being that I rarely put more than around five hours into any game's multiplayer, I don't see why I would even consider this.
#3 Posted by Borodin (416 posts) -

I always thought the main reason Konami dropped Six Days was because the quality of the game was never going to be worth the controversy. If they had made a ground breaking game with a controversial setting I think either Konami would have stuck to their guns (they did agree to publish initially after all) or the devs would have found another publisher. The fact neither of those things happened, to me at least, indicates the game just wasn't all that good. 

Also I *think* I remember reading some pretty fierce yang from the devs about Breach a while back, something about them putting million and millions of dollars into development of Six Days, and yet the engine for Breach is the one they made for that, and it looks like utter trash? I dunno, it's easy to be cynical but I get a pretty bad vibe from Atomic games. Certainly nothing in the pre-release coverage for either game or from the quick look makes me even slightly interested in trying it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.