Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Breath of Death VII

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Apr 22, 2010

Breath of Death VII is a retro parody RPG developed by Zeboyd Games and released on Xbox Live Indie Games and Steam.

Conducted My First Interview

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Edited By Daouzin

Interview with Robert Boyd over email on an Xbox Live Indie Game

With E3 going on it’s easy to forget some of the smaller guys, the indie developers, the ones that make those free or cheap to play games. E3 is always where the bigger guns are shown, where the critics write their guesstimates on which has the power to propel this industry forward. Just recently I’ve interviewed Robert Boyd from Zeboyd Games and he’s confident he knows the three necessary ingredients for a good role-playing game, and he doesn’t have a few mil in the bank.

Zeboyd Games released their title Breath of Death VII on Microsoft’s Xbox Live Indie Games platform in April where it’s been met with praise from critics across the board. For only a buck, it’s a steal. For those of you that haven’t given it a try I’d suggest buying it, playing it for an hour, then coming back.

Carlos C Reyes (Myself): First, I believe some congratulations are in order. I’m not sure of the profits you’ve made at this point from your title, but I’ve noticed it being talked about on a number of popular websites. Kotaku being the most recent. The article titled, “Hidden Xbox Games You Need to Know About.” It must be a pretty exciting time for you.

Robert Boyd (Creator of Zeboyd Games): We’re very excited at the game’s reception, both critically and commercially. That Kotaku article was especially nice for us as we’ve seen a very noticeable jump in sales & downloads since then.

C: On your website it says that you've achieved over 11,000 purchases with a trial-to-game conversion rate of almost 60%. Has that number jumped any in these last 2 weeks? And what would you attribute that conversion rate to?

R: We’re at 13,693 purchases with a conversion rate of 61% as of June 1st.

As for the conversion rate, I imagine our high rating combined with the general attractiveness of getting an RPG for such a cheap price has resulted in many people buying the game outright without bothering with the demo. Also, we did our best to make the first few minutes of the game into a good sales pitch which I think has helped as well (far too many XBLIG developers waste their entire trial time period instructing the player when they should be trying to hook them ASAP).

C: Breath of Death VII makes some obvious homages to Dragon Warrior while also making references to Earthbound, Final Fantasy, Lufia and Mega Man, just to name a few. From checking out what others have said about the game, are there any references or homages you wish people out there were noticing more and what was your game’s ultimate goal that helped keep these asides relevant to your title?

R: From reading various threads about the game on the Internet, it looks like most of the references we put in are being noticed. The one reference that I haven’t seen anyone mention, though, is the FFX plot referenced at the end of the game.

C: Your game brought on a lot of nostalgia, but also great memories. You added elements to BoDVII that really make your title relevant to the current age. I remember being in middle school and playing the original Dragon Warrior for the NES, grinding outside of the first city to save up for the Copper Sword. Your game actually streamlines this process without ruining anything, by simply allowing players to open up the main menu and select Fight to speed up the grinding process. What was the thought behind this decision and the decision of limiting random encounters within dungeons?

...Check out the rest of the interview at my website  http://loadedconsole.com/ or at BitMob
    Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Daouzin

Interview with Robert Boyd over email on an Xbox Live Indie Game

With E3 going on it’s easy to forget some of the smaller guys, the indie developers, the ones that make those free or cheap to play games. E3 is always where the bigger guns are shown, where the critics write their guesstimates on which has the power to propel this industry forward. Just recently I’ve interviewed Robert Boyd from Zeboyd Games and he’s confident he knows the three necessary ingredients for a good role-playing game, and he doesn’t have a few mil in the bank.

Zeboyd Games released their title Breath of Death VII on Microsoft’s Xbox Live Indie Games platform in April where it’s been met with praise from critics across the board. For only a buck, it’s a steal. For those of you that haven’t given it a try I’d suggest buying it, playing it for an hour, then coming back.

Carlos C Reyes (Myself): First, I believe some congratulations are in order. I’m not sure of the profits you’ve made at this point from your title, but I’ve noticed it being talked about on a number of popular websites. Kotaku being the most recent. The article titled, “Hidden Xbox Games You Need to Know About.” It must be a pretty exciting time for you.

Robert Boyd (Creator of Zeboyd Games): We’re very excited at the game’s reception, both critically and commercially. That Kotaku article was especially nice for us as we’ve seen a very noticeable jump in sales & downloads since then.

C: On your website it says that you've achieved over 11,000 purchases with a trial-to-game conversion rate of almost 60%. Has that number jumped any in these last 2 weeks? And what would you attribute that conversion rate to?

R: We’re at 13,693 purchases with a conversion rate of 61% as of June 1st.

As for the conversion rate, I imagine our high rating combined with the general attractiveness of getting an RPG for such a cheap price has resulted in many people buying the game outright without bothering with the demo. Also, we did our best to make the first few minutes of the game into a good sales pitch which I think has helped as well (far too many XBLIG developers waste their entire trial time period instructing the player when they should be trying to hook them ASAP).

C: Breath of Death VII makes some obvious homages to Dragon Warrior while also making references to Earthbound, Final Fantasy, Lufia and Mega Man, just to name a few. From checking out what others have said about the game, are there any references or homages you wish people out there were noticing more and what was your game’s ultimate goal that helped keep these asides relevant to your title?

R: From reading various threads about the game on the Internet, it looks like most of the references we put in are being noticed. The one reference that I haven’t seen anyone mention, though, is the FFX plot referenced at the end of the game.

C: Your game brought on a lot of nostalgia, but also great memories. You added elements to BoDVII that really make your title relevant to the current age. I remember being in middle school and playing the original Dragon Warrior for the NES, grinding outside of the first city to save up for the Copper Sword. Your game actually streamlines this process without ruining anything, by simply allowing players to open up the main menu and select Fight to speed up the grinding process. What was the thought behind this decision and the decision of limiting random encounters within dungeons?

...Check out the rest of the interview at my website  http://loadedconsole.com/ or at BitMob
    Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Daouzin

I'm shameless, but I want feedback.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

@Daouzin: It would make it easier to read if you put your questions in bold or something. I shall check it out later though!
    Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Daouzin
    @Vito_Raliffe: will do
    Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Earthborn

Great interview.  I'll be picking up that game soon as I get to my console today. One point of advice from an experienced interviewer. The interview sounds like it was conducted over email, and that you guys never really met. That's cool, but you should probably let the reader know in the article's hook that it's conducted this way.
    Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Daouzin
    @Earthborn: Sweet! And yeah, I updated my interview stating it was over email.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Ace829

Ooooh nice. Since you're interviewing indie devs do you think you'll be able to interview someone from AncientGames? They made "Protect Me Knight" and it's a really good game that also makes homages to other retro games being retro themed itself.

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Daouzin
    @Ace829: haha, I'd need to check out the game first, but I'd totally interview them. 
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Ace829
    @Daouzin said:
    " @Ace829: haha, I'd need to check out the game first, but I'd totally interview them.  "
    Here's the link to the game if you're having trouble finding it over Xbox Live Marketplace.
    Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daouzin
    @Ace829 said:
    " @Daouzin said:
    " @Ace829: haha, I'd need to check out the game first, but I'd totally interview them.  "
    Here's the link to the game if you're having trouble finding it over Xbox Live Marketplace. "
    Just checked it out with a friend, we beat it on normal in about an hour. Wish this game had achievements, it was so much fun. We're gonna check it out on Hard with 4 players, then again on the difficulty above that. I'm gonna look for someone to interview, but I'm not sure it'll happen since I don't know Japanese. 

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.