Brian R. Wood, lead designer of CoH Online, killed in car crash.

#1 Edited by CrazedMaverick (215 posts) -
#2 Edited by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1485 posts) -

Yeah that's awful and once again, people under the influence driving take another life. Come on people, I don't like seeing things like this, don't drink and drive nor do drugs and drive, it's not the most complicated thing in the world.  Also why the hell isn't Kotaku delaying their story about GT5's car damage though? Seems kind of disrespectful. 
Edit: Never mind, they stuck a story about hair and FF in between them now. Guess it's better than the situation it was.

#3 Posted by Blunderboy (10 posts) -

What a tragedy. I would give anything to see situations like this disappear in the world.

#4 Posted by Shikon (179 posts) -

wait what?

thats messed up =/

i hope the kid is going to be alright..

#5 Posted by Fjordson (2432 posts) -

Fucking hell. So sad to hear.

If she was indeed under any sort of influence, I hope the bitch gets what she deserves.

#6 Posted by Mariek430 (409 posts) -

Need the death sentences for dumbasses like this.

#7 Posted by SlowHands (347 posts) -

That's tragic.  I hope the wife and unborn child make it through okay.

#8 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1642 posts) -

Damn druggies

#9 Posted by iFail (236 posts) -

Damn, I feel sorry for his wife. This kind of thing really sucks. Kind of drives home that the world's not fair.

#10 Posted by AthleticShark (1222 posts) -

Things like this upset me. Seriously, why did she get to live, and he die?

I hope she never forgets and lives a horrible life.

#11 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

My condolences to his family and those close to him for their loss. 

On a side note someone should probably create a page for the guy within our database so we can properly honour his memory within our archives :)

#12 Posted by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -
@Hamz:  Proposed as new page; not sure if someone already did.
#13 Posted by ajamafalous (12156 posts) -

Sad to hear.

#14 Posted by Balfas (27 posts) -

Shocking. My thoughts are with Brain family and all the staff at Relic. I hope his wife and baby recover soon.

#15 Posted by BraveFart (298 posts) -

Drivers influenced by drugs or/and alcohol is just like putting a 3 year old infront of the steeringwheel.

Tragic. Rest in piece and hope his wife and unborn child are ok.

#16 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -
@SlowHands said:
" That's tragic.  I hope the wife and unborn child make it through okay. "
I hope so to.
#17 Posted by BjornTheUnicorn (358 posts) -

The one thing that makes me pissed off about it, was that the what was going on in the other people's car was she wanted to take her jacket off, so her friend in the passenger seat took the wheel.  
It's stupid shit like that that makes me lose faith in humanity. 
But damn, RIP dude.

#18 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

That's a shame.

#19 Posted by Nomin (983 posts) -

What a dumbass move, what the fuck was that trying to let the drunk passenger take the steering wheel, let alone pulling a DUI on a fucking highway? They could have pulled over; highway 20 is a only two lane road with enough embankment space for the car to easily pull over. 

My condolences to Mr. Wood and his family, and to the staff at Relic entertainment, as well as to the two passengers in the SUV who died. What a tragedy when a person's life as promising as his was taken away so horribly. I hope his pregnant wife recovers soon.

#20 Posted by carlthenimrod (1599 posts) -

Very sad news.

#21 Edited by Toms115 (2317 posts) -

it makes it so much worse than it already is that the wife and child are now left husband/father-less.

edit: @HitmanAgent47:

funny, actually. i had an, admittedly , quite weird dream a few nights ago, and those exact words were spoken at your funeral.

#22 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -
@Toms115 said:
"

it makes it so much worse than it already is that the wife and child are now left husband/father-less.

funny, actually. i had an, admittedly , quite weird dream a few nights ago, and those exact words were spoken at your funeral.

"
In my dream no one showed up. 
#23 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

It's frustrating how often this sort of thing happens around Seattle.  It doesn't seem like a month goes by without at least one news report of some dumbass driving into oncoming traffic on the freeway and hurting someone.

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@HS21 said:
" @Toms115 said:
"

"
In my dream no one showed up.  "
#25 Posted by Aas (604 posts) -

That's really sad.

#26 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

This song comes to mind.  

#27 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -

My condolences to the family as well as everyone at Relic.

#28 Posted by Toms115 (2317 posts) -
@HS21 said:
" @Toms115 said:
"

"
In my dream no one showed up.  "
touché
#29 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

It's stuff like this that makes me furious towards people that drink and do drugs. You know who you are. Smarten the hell up.

RIP Brian.

#30 Posted by Devildoll (909 posts) -

i read about this earlier today , this is terrible .
 my thoughts are with his wife and child :/

#31 Posted by RoboRobb (1054 posts) -

This is tragic

#32 Posted by Radar (904 posts) -

Horrific :'( RIP Mr. Wood

The drunk drivers are always the ones that survives

#33 Posted by Mcfart (1728 posts) -

Wonder how this affect coh...

#34 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -
@Radar said:
The drunk drivers are always the ones that survives "
Well, murderers are usually the ones that survive when they murder someone.
#35 Posted by JJWeatherman (14570 posts) -

Sad.

#36 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

Rest In Peace.

#37 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Wow, how fucking stupid can humanity get. The fact that his wife is pregnant with his child and Brian will never see him is just insult to injury. 
RIP Brian and my condolences go to his family. 

#38 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Horrible news, I hope his wife and child turn out okay, and I hope the bitch that hit them gets punished severely.  A shame this happened on Whidbey Island too, it's usually really quiet and nice.
#39 Posted by Lucifer (263 posts) -

I heard he sacrificed himself in the car crash for his wife and unborn child. Now he truly is in the company of great heroes. RIP dude.

#40 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -
@Lucifer: Yes, I read that on Game Informer. He swerved the car to the right so he could take most of the impact instead of colliding head on.
#41 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Absolutely sucks. As a big fan of CoH this strikes me even harder. I hope his family is alright. 

#42 Posted by Radar (904 posts) -
@natetodamax: not comparable
#43 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -
@Radar said:
" @natetodamax: not comparable "
Crashing after drunk driving is not an accident.
#44 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3625 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @Radar said:
" @natetodamax: not comparable "
Crashing after drunk driving is not an accident. "
Yes it its, I'm not trying to defend drunk drivers, but I strongly doubt that crashing and killing several people was the intent of the driver in this situation. It is a very stupid, easily preventable accident.

OT: A real shame what happened, things like this always brings me down.
#45 Posted by commandercup (497 posts) -

Wow, I hadn't even thought about CoH Online, but I loved all of the CoH games before it. Terrible news... I hope his wife and baby get better.

#46 Posted by Evilsbane (4738 posts) -

From someone who just recently lost a loved one as well and I cannot send more condolences to the family.

I hope the other driver is a stronger person than me, I don't think I could live with myself after doing something so stupid and reckless.

#47 Edited by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

This is terrible. I feel bad for his wife, it must be very emotional for her as she is going to go through the birth of their child without him.   

Edit: I just read the whole story and I find it amazing that he saved his wife and child's life by turning to the right and taking the impact. Truly a courageous act. And the drivers of the other vehicle were apparently under the influence of drugs. I'm not sure what drugs these were but I'd like to think this changes the minds of people who say want marijuana or other "soft drugs" to be legalized. Yes you may be able to use it responsibly but other jackasses like the driver's of the other vehicle would abuse them so much. 

#48 Posted by jakob187 (21759 posts) -

Dood is a fucking hero because of the actions he took to protect the things most important to him in life.  Unfortunately, it cost him his own life, which is all too tragic.  My condolences to the family, his friends, and his colleagues.

#49 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Yeha, as I said in the other thread for this, Brian Wood sounds like a huge badass and went out in a ridiculously heroic fashion. In addition to being a tragedy, it's just a damn shame that the reason was something as stupid and avoidable as being under-the-influence while driving.

Condolences out to the Wood family, and I hope that the child leaves a long and happy life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.