Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

Brink: First impressions.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

As some of you may know I have been in conflict with myself about purchasing Brink. After mediocre reviews I went out on a limb and got the game. (Oh shit! Neku made his own decision and bought a game without making a thread about if it's good or not? STOP THE PRESSES!) So, how do i feel about it? Read on to find it!

Let's start with the SMART system (Smooth.Movement.Across.Random.Terrain, a pretty smart name if you ask me. :D) it's basic goal is one thing, make movement is shooters smooth and flexible and I'll be darned, it's done it. Not only has it made the game a lot more fun but implementing it in combat to confuse opponents and using it to flank people is really great. It has a mirrors edge feel to it, but the shooting is actually good.

So, shooting, how is it you ask? Great! Not only do the guns have a great and solid feel to them they are all customizable with various attachments to not only make your gun look more badass, but add different stats to it. There isn't much to say about the shooting, it's fun, solid and I can't think of a complaint.

A.I, the main thing people are complaining about. Well here is the truth, it's not that bad. From what I have played my team will capture command posts, heal me, buff me and do objectives. The enemy A.I on normal are sort of...dumb but it's much better on hard. The A.I are dumb in the sense that they won't really shoot you straight away, it's really nothing because you will still get killed, a lot because they are smart enough to point at your head and go BANG.

The single player campaign it pretty fun, while it is basically online with bots I still am having a lot of fun with it. It isn't as great as the online but it still is decent and has decent story.

Customization is one of the biggest draws of Brink, letting you customize your character with different body types, equipment (Equipment, not outfits :P) tattoos and etc. You can make some really unique guys in Brink and it's fun. As I mentioned before you can customize gins to your liking and also add buffs/perks to your character improving various things.

There are 4 classes in the game which all have their different uses and are used to complete specific objectives, they are all fun and balanced as far as I can tell.

So, Brink is a really awesome and fun multiplayer team objective game that brings some new things to the table and does it right. I highly recommend you check it out if your into team objective games and give it a shot. Don't worry about the community being "too small" because I don't think it will be, and if everyone thinks like that then it might happen.

Thanks for reading.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Just to add, I'm playing on PC with my rig that can be found in my mini-bio and it runs great.

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#3  Edited By Popskinz
    @NekuSakuraba:

I'm still a bit hesistant to buy it, but i do think that it looks really cool.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Popskinz
    @NekuSakuraba:

I'm still a bit hesistant to buy it, but i do think that it looks really cool.
    Maybe even just rent the game if you want it on 360, but If you want it on PC I can't see why you can't just get it because from what I have seen the PC community are loving it.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Guys just wanted to know if there was anything wrong with this First impression, since only 1 person has commented I'm assuming it's pretty bad.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " Guys just wanted to know if there was anything wrong with this First impression, since only 1 person has commented I'm assuming it's pretty bad. "
    ...no I think it's because no one cares about the game.  For 50 bucks hell no, but once it hits under 10 bucks on Steam this holiday then it'll be worth it.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude
    @KaosAngel said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:

" Guys just wanted to know if there was anything wrong with this First impression, since only 1 person has commented I'm assuming it's pretty bad. "
    ...no I think it's because no one cares about the game.  For 50 bucks hell no, but once it hits under 10 bucks on Steam this holiday then it'll be worth it. "
     Your impressions are fine. I just don't care about Brink. Not my cup of tea.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @KaosAngel
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    ...no I think it's because no one cares about the game.  For 50 bucks hell no, but once it hits under 10 bucks on Steam this holiday then it'll be worth it.
    Lies! The game is worth $50 for sure.
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By amomjc
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @KaosAngel
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    Lies! The game is worth $50 for sure. "
    Oh don't listen to them, sometimes it seems that GB users have an object up their ass and just feel like ruining other peoples days. The Quick Look is good, it needs a little more organization and titling for sections (maybe a little longer) but I got your point through out it.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Subjugation

I still highly prefer TF2.

Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By Hardgamer

The first impressions looks impressive.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By donchipotle

I'm digging the game, even on 360. I just think it is a lot of fun.

Maybe it is because I don't generally like FPS games and playing as a medic allows me to not have to shoot dudes to be good.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By l4wd0g

Sorry, I was playing Brink.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz

It's cool that you enjoy it.  I think people are in the mindset that they want more content for what they are paying for so it's not hard to side with them on that.  

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By ToxicFruit

I really want to give it a try, but for really no singleplayer story and only 8 maps i don't know if it is worth it. But i do like team based games so i am most likely gonna buy it ...

oh and thanks for the first impression :)
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By napalm
    @NekuSakuraba: I didn't take advantage of the SMART system when I first started playing Brink. It's actually a bit amazing with some of the stuff you can do. I stuck with the usual hopping over small planters and climbing higher places, but then I started getting technical with it and started vaulting off walls and two-stepping over a bunch of ledges to get out of dodge quickly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.