PC and Steamworks

#1 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -

So does this game support steamworks? And by that, I mean does it come with a code that you can enter into Steam without the need for the disc to install it? 

Studying abroad in Japan right now and it would be cheaper for me to buy the game from amazon, have it shipped to my address and then just get my parents to email me the code if so. Amazon have it for about £20 which is what I'd feel comfortable paying considering the divisive reviews and my own interest in the interesting ideas this game is trying to throw out there.
#2 Posted by Delusibeta (68 posts) -

Yes, the PC version uses Steamworks. Apparently, the PC version is quite a bit better than the console versions too.

#3 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -
@Delusibeta said:
" Yes, the PC version uses Steamworks. Apparently, the PC version is quite a bit better than the console versions too. "
And all steamworks games come with the code, right? Pretty sure that was the case when I picked up BLOPS.

Might take the plunge if so, thanks for the help.
#4 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

As long as you're not buying a used PC copy somehow, you're good. You'll just log in to Steam when you install.

#5 Edited by Vitor (2812 posts) -
@drhans said:

" As long as you're not buying a used PC copy somehow, you're good. You'll just log in to Steam when you install. "

The thing is I won't have the disc - not getting my parents to send it, just the CD key it comes with. That should be enough though to unlock the steam version, right?
#6 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

not all steamworks games (retail) are redeeamable on Steam btw

#7 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -
@Vitor: Oh, I totally misread your original post. Probably worth asking about it on the Steam forums, but I don't think just putting the code into Steam will work that way. It still installs off the disc. The code is not a download code as much as it is an unlock code. Could be different for different games, but I'd definitely get answers directly from Steam before spending the money.
#8 Edited by Vitor (2812 posts) -
#9 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

oh was Brink added to the list already? than you should be safe

#10 Posted by HoM3R (205 posts) -

I heard D2D just e-mails you a key so I would say yes this is a option.
For the CoD games bought in retail never used a cd so think this is the same deal.

#11 Posted by hurrikenux (46 posts) -
@HoM3R said:
" I heard D2D just e-mails you a key so I would say yes this is a option.For the CoD games bought in retail never used a cd so think this is the same deal. "
I can confirm that this is exactly what they do, you simply register that key in the proper window on Steam.
#12 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Remember, though, that he's talking about a retail disc and not Direct2Drive.

#13 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

Yeah my friend pre-ordered Brink from D2D a month or so ago and was able to enter the key into Steam with no issues.

#14 Posted by HoM3R (205 posts) -

Cant imagine whats the use of having different cdkeys with different "rights" linked
this one we need to see a cd / this one we dont :s

#15 Posted by Delusibeta (68 posts) -

Yeah, not sure what  drhans is on about, to be honest The CD key should be the same as the unlock key.

#16 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -
@hurrikenux said:
" @HoM3R said:
" I heard D2D just e-mails you a key so I would say yes this is a option.For the CoD games bought in retail never used a cd so think this is the same deal. "
I can confirm that this is exactly what they do, you simply register that key in the proper window on Steam. "
That would be great if Brink hadn't mysteriously disappeared from the UK store on launch day...

Still, hopefully it'll be back up by the time my copy arrives early next week so I'm hoping that's the case! Thanks for all the help!
#17 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Ya its just a code. And join the GB steam group.

#18 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Any word on a Mac version?

#19 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:
" Any word on a Mac version? "
That's a good question. That would be pretty cool if there was.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.