Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

Please talk me down on Brink

DinkMonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I remember playing Brink when it came out on 360, and man did it suck...but right now I'm considering buying it tonight. I need a FPS that allows offline matches against bots with the leveling up persistence that Brink offers...I beg all of the PC duders out there is there any title that has these hooks that will save me from supporting such a bad game?

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I can think of plenty FPS games that offer bot matches like UT2K4 and the like. I can't really think of any of them that have a leveling up persistence mechanic though. Do the newer CoD games offer offline bot matches? If so that may work out for you.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Its a bad game.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Brink's bot matches are snore-worthy, but then so are ALL bot matches so I don't really know what to tell you other than to play a single-player focused game instead.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's just not enough there. Not enough weapons, not enough maps, not enough objectives, not enough story. The list goes on.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars comes to mind. It's pretty good too but I don't think its on steam if that matters. Can't think of anything else though.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

I've got this guys don't worry.

OK Brink. Is terrible. No questions, it's terrible. If you're playing offline bot matches I hope you enjoy doing all capture types on your own, spending the majority of each match simple standing in control points while it takes forever to go down because you are the only one there as the A.I is too dumb to ever even try and take it.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Naoiko

Friends don't let friends play Brink.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I consider Brink to be the single worst gaming-related purchase I've ever made.

The gun mechanics were horribly unsatisfying for a FPS game that came out after modern gun mechanics were pretty much nailed down by Valve games, COD, Halo, Battlefield, etc. Not to mention that aiming in the console versions of the game was extremely difficult due to a lack of any sort of aiming assistance.

There are a ton of guns in the game but none of them feel any different. They are all the same thing with different, uninspired forms. The three available classes do not play differently enough to matter.

Bots are not very fun to play with which wouldn't be a problem if the online modes worked - but they don't. There are only 10 (IIRC) maps in the game, for both single player and multiplayer, and none of them are memorable.

Around the time the game was released the developers put out a snarky "tutorial" specifically for console players basically saying that they need the extra help because they don't know how to play cooperative FPS games like PC players do. This would almost be clever if it weren't for the fact that although the game emphasizes teamwork, none is actually required since the AI can be manipulated fairly easily.

The character creation tool was pretty neat, it's just too bad they spent the time on it instead of a competent game. The graphics were nice too, and I liked the art style.

When I bought Brink for full price on its release day I thought that I would get a fun FPS with deep character progression and possibly innovative movement mechanics. I ended up with none of those things.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getz said:

Granted, I didn't have any internets in my use for comparison back when the first Unreal Tournament came out, but I really enjoyed playing that with bots. Add instagib to that and you didn't even have to worry about them using crappy guns to try and kill you. Pretty sure I also enjoyed playing a lot of UT03 and 04 with bots.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko: I rented this game on launch day and had fun with it for the week that people were playing.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy Perfect Dark Zero.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cmblasko
    mikeful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really recent but I think CoD: Black Ops had pretty fun bot matches and some kind of progression system in it. Haven't touched it since release year so I might remember thing incorrectly.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

play quake or any ut instead, there fixed your problem

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

How much would you pay for it? If you buy it for < $5 in a Steam sale, that seems appropriate and just have fun. If you buy it for more than that, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Seriously, I'd say Unreal Tournament GOTY edition or Quake 3. But why do you want us to talk you out of something? If you want to play Brink, play Brink. Though Unreal is a better bot game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You need a first person shooter with progression that you can play offline.

Borderlands.

I've never played Brink because I've never heard anything that makes it sound remotely worth playing.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I found Brink to actually be pretty enjoyable.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By me3639

Go play Defiance. Its free and i had a lot of fun with it for 2 weeks. Its Destiny, just not as pretty. And its free, did i say free? I didnt know if i said it but its free and not $60 or $100 but free and it had basically the same review score as Destiny.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I liked brink, It looked great and played well, the only real problem I had with it was nobody was playing it so you really couldn't complete the objectives.

I think at this point you may as well wait for Dirty Bomb, seems like it will be very similar.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars comes to mind. It's pretty good too but I don't think its on steam if that matters. Can't think of anything else though.

THIS. SO FUCKING HARD. ET:QW basically has the good stuff from Brink (the segmentation of the online matches to create hot-pockets of action rather than spread it out over a big map) but does everything else on top of that as well as any game can. If it still has a playerbase, you should get it.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The OP must really be hard up for a shooter if he is considering Brink, if you need visual convincing I am sure any number of youtube reviews will demonstrate that the bot matches involve very little competent AI to the point they don't even try to complete objectives. I hope you find something better @dinkmonger

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I REALLY LIKED BRINK!!!!!!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.