Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

So is this the new Shadowrun?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I remember when Shadowrun came out and all you saw were scathing reviews complaining about the lack of content and how unfinished it felt. Although it had some interesting gameplay concepts, most people were not willing to grant it their attention due to the $60 price tag.

A year or two after that, I picked the game up for about $5 and had a really good time with it. Was it great? No. I would never pay full price for Shadowrun, but what it had to offer was fun and did offer up an interesting take on the typical FPS framework. It, even today, is still a really interesting experiment and definitely worth your time, especially at the price it's gotten to now.

But isn't it just a little weird how similar these two games are in almost, well everything? Two extremely multiplayer focused, content lacking, honestly very strange shooters getting almost the exact same press?

It even had unique ways to move about the environment and four customizable character types.

The two teams even look fucking the same.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Afroman269

I just remembered I have a pc copy of shadowrun that I picked up for 99 cents.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Pretty much. But Shadowrun was pretty much dead in the water the minute it hit the shelves as the Devs went tits up, so DLC wasn't much of an option. Im hoping Splash Damage can pull this together in time for it to drop to $30. I loved Shadowrun and still have my copy. Every so often ill stick it in a play a few rounds, its kinda surprising that there's still games people playing it out there, one of the most under appreciated games on the 360 (maybe not on PC).

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By NickLott

No, Shadowrun was an flawed game that few liked. Brink is just a divisive game which some people will really take to.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @Afroman269 said:
    " I just remembered I have a pc copy of shadowrun that I picked up for 99 cents. "
    You should totally play that copy of Shadowrun.

You can be a Dwarf with a katana and turn into smoke and shit.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SlightConfuse

yea they certanly are the same  with respects to lack of content, i just don't see why they released the  game at retail other than to cover devolpement cost

i remember sinking some time in to the demo for shadowrun but never bothered to pick it up, my friends who ddi said the game was not worth it

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Afroman269
    @LordXavierBritish: *installs
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @slightconfuse said:
    "

yea they certanly are the same  with respects to lack of content, i just don't see why they released them  gaem at retail other than to cover devolpment cost

i remember sinking some time in to the demo for shadowrun but never bothered to pick it up, my friends who ddi said the game was not worth it

"
    How can you comment this is you haven't played either of them?
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Marz

Nah, it's more like quake wars that's alot more trimmed down in features but features more customization.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SlightConfuse

@Twisted_Scot: 

just an observation, both of these games lack something and what they do have is not enough to warrent a full price
    (60 $ ) purchase. it more a value propastion than the quality of the game itself

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Afroman269: Installation has stopped working, would you like to send an error report?
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twisted_Scot

@slightconfuse said:

"

@Twisted_Scot: 

just an observation, both of these games lack something and what they do have is not enough to warrent a full price
    (60 $ ) purchase. it more a value propastion than the quality of the game itself

"
    True that they do lack the content I would have hoped for. While i think the game should have been cheaper than $60 at retail It also depends on how much use you will get out of the game. I buy something like Alan Wake for $60, I get 5 or so hours out of it then its done. I pick up somthing mainly multiplayer like Brink of BF2 for example and I get 20, 30, 40 hours out of the 8 or so maps in multilayer.  Its like the whole COD map packs argument that its not worth $15. I would get tons of hours or use out of it or spend the $15 on a piece of Mass Effect DLC that I'll get maybe 3 hours out of. Its all relative. I would say that it would 100% be in Splash Damages best interest to release at least a handful of new content and fixes as soon as they can to make up for the mess on release.

PS: I own and Love All the games & DLC mentioned in the comment so im not picking on any of them.
    furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By furiousjodo

That's a somewhat fair comparison but I think the game is more solid than Shadowrun.  I really enjoyed Shadowrun myself but the game just didn't have it.

Brink seems to have the core components that it needs, and just needs a little bit of a nudge to get it up there.  I do agree that the game isn't worth 60$, but I think it's probably worth 30-40$ depending how much you like this sort of game. 

My experience so far on the PC version has been great, but the single player really wasn't even worth their time, I think they could have saved substantial development costs if they just ignored that piece of things entirely.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By EuanDewar

Sometimes I feel like one of the few people on earth who actually unironically enjoyed Shadowrun.

Oh Fourwude where art thou?

furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By furiousjodo

I was even in the Closed beta for it and loved it.  When you can actually get people to play with that game is great.

But it also doesn't really take advantage of the Shadowrun IP and was lacking in a lot of areas. :)
    Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Lnin0

People don't really want to play together. They just want to be together while they play by themselves. The nature of humanity is not a social one - it is an insecure one.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By 1337W422102

No, Shadowrun took a great RPG franchise and reduced it to Counter-Strike With Magic.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pinworm45

From what I've seen, Jeff summed it up best with "it's got all the right pieces, they just don't fit well enough together".

It has lots of things that intrigue me, but over all, none of the aspects look good enough for me to spend 50 - never mind the asking price of SIXTY for pc - bucks on it. I will maybe get it on a steam sale if I can convince a friend to get it with me, but that's it. Half price maximum.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By KaosAngel

Shadowrun was kinda good.

I'd rather eat buffalo shit after it's been pissed on by a rabbit, laced with the semen of a snake than play BRINK.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

Shadowrun had interesting ideas though, so Brink is not the new Shadowrun.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Shadowrun was kinda good.

I'd rather eat buffalo shit after it's been pissed on by a rabbit, laced with the semen of a snake than play BRINK.
    "
    Because of the reviews, or have you played it?
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By penguindust

Shadowrun also faced animosity because it wasn't the RPG that a lot of gamers wanted.  Brink might become more accepted once the price drops.  Hell, if it was $5, too then I think people would forgive most of its failings. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By KaosAngel
    @NekuSakuraba: It's a AVGN reference.
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FourWude
    @EuanDewar said:
    " Sometimes I feel like one of the few people on earth who actually unironically enjoyed Shadowrun.

Oh Fourwude where art thou? "

Here I am Euan!!

SHADOWRUN WAS THE SHIT. AND ALL HATERS BE DAMNED.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @KaosAngel
    @NekuSakuraba: It's a AVGN reference.
    I know, but I thought you were being serious.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Afroman269 said:
    " I just remembered I have a pc copy of shadowrun that I picked up for 99 cents. "
    Me too!

I had a lot of fun with that game for what I paid for it.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vitor
    @ryanwho said:
    " Shadowrun had interesting ideas though, so Brink is not the new Shadowrun. "
    The SMART system was an interesting idea (although the level design doesn't provide enough incentive to break it out).

The removal of all one hit kill weapons was an interesting idea (such as nerfing sniper damage and reducing grenades to merely a knockdown).

The persistent multi/single-player upgrades and campaign was an interesting idea (although in no way implemented to the level they had promised in all their marketing, if at all to be honest - it's just the mp with bots).

A lot of the ways that the classes work and use their abilities is an interesting idea (the lock on for sharing ammo/health/buffs and the supply meter and how one fills it for example).

I think it qualifies. 
    Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aquablak

I would say it's certainly similar in a lot of ways.  The value proposition is subjective.  If you buy Brink for $60 and play it for a couple/few hours and don't like it, that wasn't worth your $60, obviously.  If something about the game really resonates with you and you play it for dozens of hours, that's $60 well spent. 

I paid full price for Shadowrun, and I absolutely love that game.  Some of my favorite experiences this generation were had while playing it, so I was more than happy to pay full price.  I paid full price for Brink, and so far I'm undecided about the game.  I know some out there will love the game, and I'm hoping I'm one of them.  I just haven't put enough time into it to be able to say yet. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.