Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

What is Jeff's deal?

freshakiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By freshakiff

I got this and immediately had buyers remorse but as i keep playing I find my self enjoying this game more and more. I find this is one of my favorite MP shooters I've ever played.

Listening to today's bombcast, I could not believe the vitriol coming out of Jeff's mouth, and the amount of shit talking as well. He raises points about brink which he complains about (the weapon customization specifically), but he's completely fine with black ops having the exact same amount of details about the weapons.

What really angered me was when he compared this game to Section 8, seriously? that's insulting. yes it's MP only but it's extremely well made and polished game-play, and yes while it does have "only" 8 maps their not comparable to call of duty or similar franchises considering the way they work, and their size.

A lot of what he says is biased by his own shitty experiences like complaining about medics not healing, that's like complaining about TF2 because your teams medics sucked.  as well as when he dismisses the SMART button just because he has had trouble with it, i find it extremely helpful for trans-versing the map running away and stuff like that, It's not a Gimmick and I feel that it really adds to the game. And while this comes to preference, does it matter if you can reach the max level in a few hours? if you come for the progression and not for the game then your doing something wrong.

I understand the sentiment Splash Damage didn't make the lack of a Campaign clear before the release but this game is really great. a 2 out of 5 I find is not appropriate, Brink deserves a 3 at the least. 

I'm also probably just venting or trying to justify my purchase or something but it did really annoy me.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Daveyo520

Best you've ever played, really? You missed out.

Also, what is up with people jumping on swords for this game out of nowhere? 

I think the last sentence is true.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

I can't really comment on Jeff, since I haven't played Brink and haven't listened to the last 5 Bombcasts.  

It's good to see that a few people are enjoying it, though.
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

Oh really? Brink deserves a 3? I wasn't aware you knew Jeff's opinion better than him!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Slaker117

I think he just doesn't find the core gameplay very much fun. The other issues are annoyances he brings up because saying "I don't like the way shooting feels" alone doesn't make for interesting critique.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By benjaebe
    @freshakiff said:
    "I'm also probably just venting or trying to justify my purchase or something but it did really annoy me. "
    Yeah, probably. Jeff's allowed his opinion. For the record, I think Section 8 is way more fun than the time I've spent playing Brink with a friend.
    Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Portis
    @Axxol said:
    "  haven't listened to the last 5 Bombcasts."

wat.
    Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Garfield518
    @freshakiff said:

A lot of what he says is biased by his own shitty experiences.

Well, no shit? Whose experiences should he be using for his review, then?
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Rockdalf

The funny part is that you're more worried about the review of the game you just bought instead of actually enjoying said game.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By cstrang

What? You don't agree with someone else's opinion!  Stop the presses!

Seriously, dude, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as you enjoy the game.  Also, the very fact that you acknowledge buyer's remorse bothers me.  If you're gonna bring beef, at least stick to your guns.

DTKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DTKT

People complaining about reviews never cease to amaze me.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McGhee

This game is getting lambasted all over the place. Griffin McElroy at Joystiq also gave it a 2 out of 5. Even IGN, with Brink ads all over their site, gave it a 6 out of 10. Jeff is not some lone voice unfairly criticizing the game. A lot of people have a lot of problems with it.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " This game is getting lambasted all over the place. Griffin McElroy at Joystiq also gave it a 2 out of 5. Even IGN, with Brink ads all over their site, gave it a 6 out of 10. Jeff is not some lone voice unfairly criticizing the game. A lot of people have a lot of problems with it. "
    However it is also getting good reviews as well. 
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Akrid
    @freshakiff said:
    " A lot of what he says is biased by his own shitty experiences "
    Read that. Carefully.
    SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By SBYM

You're not biased by your experiences at all, though. Right?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Marz

i think you justify your purchase if you find it enjoyable.  Jeff doesn't have to like a game for you to enjoy it.   

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Apparently there's already supposed to be a patch coming to address a lot of issues. I dunno. I kinda lost interest in this game a while ago.

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StealthRaptor

Man look at that adorable puppy icon you have. How could you ever get upset when that's right in front of you all the time?

freshakiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By freshakiff
    @cstrang:  I'm resolute in the fact that i enjoy it, I just feel that it's not cool for it to be undersold because someone has petty issues that don't involve the mechanics of the game. Saying he doesn't like the shooting or the game-play? that's valid. But complaining about his personal experiences and letting that interfere with the review isn't.

@Garfield518:  as I said  to the duder above, if the game has a really great medic class and adds incentives  for healing, you cant deduct from the score because there were some dorks on your team. if people used that logic every multilayer game would get lows scores.

edit: I don't get where people are getting the idea that I need Jeff vindication on my buying of Brink, I'm just raising some points with his criticisms.
    pingolobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pingolobo

I once said," screw the reviews" and I bought Devil May Cry 2.  I still have nightmares.

You enjoy it.  Good.  Every other website gave it shitty reviews, if it helps you cope.  The A.I, The Lag, The unfinished parcour.  I am renting this but I am weary.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Brendan

It seems to be a common theme among reviewers that this game is mediocre, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that you feel insulted because you feel as if everyone is telling you that you're wrong for liking that game.  You're not, so just enjoy it.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#22  Edited By EpicSteve

if you can accept this is a great game, you should try out Team Fortress 2, Halo Reach, Bad Company 2, Black Ops, or any other shooter that has released in the last three years. 

You're allowed to feel different than the press. If you enjoy it, more power to you. I can't stand the game, but that's me. 
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I haven't played Brink myself, but there was nothing in the Bombcast to suggest that his experience with medics and the like actually swayed his review, it was just a kind of sucky thing that happened to him in the end. I'm not sure what else to tell you except different people have different opinions about video games.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You seem to be under the impression that Jeff didn't want to like this game and therefore nitpicked it to death in order to lower its score. He didn't have a good time with the game and doesn't feel like it is a good full priced experience. He didn't go out of his way to make the game look bad. You can't believe the vitriol coming out of his mouth? Do you think YOU might have some strong words about a game that you felt was wasting your time?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Doctorchimp

You should play other shooters and stop worrying about some dude who was seriously underwhelmed by a certain game....

Font8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Font8

It's all so tragic ... :( sobs ):

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By ESREVER
    @Rockdalf said:

" The funny part is that you're more worried about the review of the game you just bought instead of actually enjoying said game. "

He's probably worried about the negative reputation the game is getting and the effect its going to have on the game's userbase because of all these poor reviews. If that's the case, I feel the same way.
    This is the first multiplayer shooter I have enjoyed in years and it sucks that its getting shat on by nearly every major reviewer. I chose not to watch the QL for BRINK because I didn't want to have to sit through the same incompetence the BlazBlue QL suffered from.
    Since I didn't watch it, I don't know, but did they demo the PC version for everyone like they did with Crysis 2 and Dragon Age II?
    The controls feel perfect on PC. I can't vouch for the console versions because I have not played it, but I can't imagine the game playing as well.

The SMART system is incredibly essential to the core experience of the game. As a light medic, I can take alternate paths I create for myself, Mirror's Edge style, and sneak around the back of an objective and complete it while everyone is still looking the other way. I get an old Unreal Tournament vibe from the gameplay, only with more gun, movement, and skill depth.

People here are dismissing this game because of a poor QL. A lot of folks were really excited for this game up until they saw the QL. I know most of us like to form our own opinion on a game, but to say that there are people who don't just look to reviewers for guidance, would be wrong. There are people like that, and those people are being turned off from what might be a fun experience and help the community for BRINK grow. I feel the review should be re-done in some manner. 
    How this game can't be rated as high if not a little lower than black ops is beyond me.

Sorry for the rant. I am a part of the BRINK defense force because I'm worried about the game's online lifespan.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @Portis: he said he has listened to the last 5 bombcast :P, i haven't listened to the last 10 but I am on vacation so i will listen to them while I relax by the sun.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @freshakiff said:
    " I got this and immediately had buyers remorse but as i keep playing I find my self enjoying this game more and more. I find this is one of my favorite MP shooters I've ever played. Listening to today's bombcast, I could not believe the vitriol coming out of Jeff's mouth, and the amount of shit talking as well. He raises points about brink which he complains about (the weapon customization specifically), but he's completely fine with black ops having the exact same amount of details about the weapons. What really angered me was when he compared this game to Section 8, seriously? that's insulting. yes it's MP only but it's extremely well made and polished game-play, and yes while it does have "only" 8 maps their not comparable to call of duty or similar franchises considering the way they work, and their size.  A lot of what he says is biased by his own shitty experiences like complaining about medics not healing, that's like complaining about TF2 because your teams medics sucked.  as well as when he dismisses the SMART button just because he has had trouble with it, i find it extremely helpful for trans-versing the map running away and stuff like that, It's not a Gimmick and I feel that it really adds to the game. And while this comes to preference, does it matter if you can reach the max level in a few hours? if you come for the progression and not for the game then your doing something wrong.I understand the sentiment Splash Damage didn't make the lack of a Campaign clear before the release but this game is really great. a 2 out of 5 I find is not appropriate, Brink deserves a 3 at the least.  I'm also probably just venting or trying to justify my purchase or something but it did really annoy me. "
    The difference is that Black Ops has a single player campaign that compliments it's amazing multiplayer action. Brink is lacking.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iamjohn
    @freshakiff said:
    " I'm also probably just venting or trying to justify my purchase or something "
    Well at least you're honest!
    freshakiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By freshakiff
    @President_Barackbar: as someone who enjoys stuff like monster hunter, demons souls and games with weird, clunky, janky, or just bad ideas  I've learned to love and deal with issues like that (as has Jeff, no doubt) so that might cloud my judgement, but I know I  ever only get pissed at games if they are seriously fucked like Tron and fable 3 for example.  And he did as you described last year to Red Dead so I don't think it's unfounded.

@ESREVER:  this is my exact point.

@LiquidPrince: but that's debatable and subjective as well, I found black ops to be lacking no so great unmemorable single-player, a zombies mode i completely don't care for, and a horribly unbalanced messy multiplayer with a bad community, but you enjoy it so who am i to say? it comes down to personal preference.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By Hailinel
    @ESREVER: It was a little under 50 minutes of Jeff playing the 360 version.  He hadn't played the PC version yet.

But watching the game being played, I have to say that it really doesn't paint a positive picture when the bots are almost universally morons; especially when those bots are a vital component of the single-player portion of the game, which in turn seems no different than the multiplayer portion save for the fact that those incompetent bots are replaced by (hopefully) more competent people.  Also, in the online matches that Jeff played during the QL, there were instances of severe lag that had him running in place awkwardly for seconds at a time.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By niamahai

re-reading the MAG review to see what Brink didn't do right.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By Yanngc33

Jeff isn't the king of the world so you're allowed to like a game that he doesn't. That said, if you watch the Quick Look, you'll see that all his arguments are justified and that PS3 players should stay the hell away from this for the moment

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @freshakiff: Then if you realize it's all subjective, why complain about Jeff's opinion? 
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freshakiff said:
    " @President_Barackbar: as someone who enjoys stuff like monster hunter, demons souls and games with weird, clunky, janky, or just bad ideas  I've learned to love and deal with issues like that (as has Jeff, no doubt) so that might cloud my judgement, but I know I  ever only get pissed at games if they are seriously fucked like Tron and fable 3 for example.  And he did as you described last year to Red Dead so I don't think it's unfounded. "
    You still didn't really acknowledge my point about Jeff NOT nitpicking the game to death. This really isn't a similar situation to Monster Hunter or Demon's Souls. Hell, I was mad that Jeff was so dismissive of Red Dead at first, but then as I thought about it, he never said the game was bad, just that it wasn't for him. Jeff doesn't seem to be doing that here. He didn't give the game 2/5 because it isn't for him, he did so because he felt that there were fundamental problems with the game.
    lmenzol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lmenzol
    @freshakiff: yea i dont pay attention to anything jeff says its always bullshit to me, he talks too much trash on games that are actually pretty fun, and everyone here seems to believe everything he says, when you look at the videos its obvious he's not enjoying them because he can't kill a godamn thing. that being said i never expected this game to blow my mind either, i just watch the gameplay and decide on my own whether im going to try it or not
    freshakiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By freshakiff
    @LiquidPrince: thats just one facet of the argument, I have more issue with his nit pickyness than with his evaluation of the content.
    KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By KarlPilkington

wontsomebodythinkofthechildren.flv

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By John1912

I havent played a lot of Brink.  I cant seem to stand more then 10-20mns, but it seems to have jumped on the FPS on-line band wagon while doing really nothing inventive with it.  Its just a REALLY marginal game.  If you cant see why ppl arent liking it, or where they are coming from, better for you.  You are enjoying the game more then we are......

Also comparing weapon customization to black ops doesnt really translate in my eyes.  The guns in Brink all feel like shit so far making any customization moot.  Just because another game did a MUCH better job, does not automatically justify Brink doing the same thing.

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bibledoctor

So then don't listen to him.
    Reviews are just the opinions from someone who gets paid to have opinions.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rebirth1337
    @pingolobo said:
    "

I once said," screw the reviews" and I bought Devil May Cry 2.  I still have nightmares.

You enjoy it.  Good.  Every other website gave it shitty reviews, if it helps you cope.  The A.I, The Lag, The unfinished parcour.  I am renting this but I am weary.

"
    I did the same and I loved DMC 2... I was young but I still loved it. And on the topic of Brink, I can't really say because I haven't played it. Though I will say out of all my friends I was the to say 'meh I probably won't get it' (and I didn't) My friends like it a lot it seems but I guess its a thing of how long will it last. One thing I find really weird is the lack of a lobby system. A FPS without a lobby/party system really baffles me.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By scarace360

Man brink is awesome if you dont like it too bad but you might as well try it for yourself.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wickedsc3

As the saying goes "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one".  I will never understand why people care so much about reviews, I could careless about the reviews.  For me its all about the QL's.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GODDAMNIT. 

WHO GIVES A FUCK. JUST PLAY THE GAME. OR DON'T.
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Jeff is allowed to dislike the game. He doesn't seem to like most team-focused FPS's. If you enjoy it, then what does it matter? Like me. I love the shit out of zombie games (RE5 not included) and Jeff hates zombies. Who cares? Why does his opinion need to be yours? If you enjoy the game as much as you seem to then what does it matter if he didn't?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheGreatGuero

So after 1 day of playing, it's the best shooter ever, huh?

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Christoffer

@freshakiff: 
    It's the best MP shooter you've played ever so it deserves at least a 3 out of 5. Is this what I'm reading? Does this mean you would have given it 3 or that Jeff should?

I can understand if you don't think Brink deserved such a cruel bashing but that's what you have to do sometimes to get the point through.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By probablytuna

That's just the way it is, reviewers often have different opinions than you, so just enjoy the game.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By buzz_clik
    @freshakiff said:
    " Saying he doesn't like the shooting or the game-play? that's valid. But complaining about his personal experiences and letting that interfere with the review isn't. "
    He can't come at it from anybody else's angle. He can only report on the experience he had with the game and, as it turns out, he was disappointed because the game did disappointing things in his eyes. You're having a different experience? Great! That doesn't really change what Jeff got out of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.