Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

Worries

• 57 results
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UnrealDP

Nothing i have really seen of brink has looked bad, but the tralers don't show much gameplay and when i hear people from the press talk about it it normally seems subdued like they're holding something back like "It looks cool but the shooting is garbage" or something game breaking along those lines. Am i just reading to much into what press is saying or has anyone else noticed?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By DystopiaX

Haven't noticed.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By ESREVER

There's a bunch of behind the scenes stuff and very detailed descriptions about how the game will play by taking you step by step through its mechanics in plenty of youtube vids. Its not difficult to find some lengthy vids of gameplay.

And in this case, I guess it would be that you're reading too much into what the press is NOT saying.

But yea, look around on the internet. Lots of gameplay vids of actual in-game footage. Not just trailers.
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UnrealDP
    @DystopiaX:
    Yeah im probably crazy i think im just remembering a few bombcasts ago when jeff was kinda holding something back about it. Maybe its just embargo.
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UnrealDP
    @ESREVER:
    Gah im just crazy and reading too into it maybe it was just embargo, but yeah im checking youtube and your totally right.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Lukeweizer

Waiting for quick look and review/ opinions on the bombcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ESREVER:@UnrealDP:
    All of the gameplay videos out there are vignetted segments without any context to what is happening within the game. For me I have no idea of what the content of this game is as every single time anybody from Splash Damage talks about it they just spout out a load of PR approved bullshit that doesn't mean anything.

Lines like "Brink blurs the lines between single player and multiplayer gaming" and "Brink is a solo, co-operative, competitive, online, offline experience" mean nothing until they start telling people clearly how the single player and multiplayer components work together and how they work seperately. There's more column inches dedicated to how the SMART system works (which as far as I can see is just a run/climb button) than there is on what features the game contains.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By ESREVER
    @MuftyRiots:   

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By jeff
    @UnrealDP said:
    " @DystopiaX: Yeah im probably crazy i think im just remembering a few bombcasts ago when jeff was kinda holding something back about it. Maybe its just embargo. "
    Nope. I haven't seen that game in about a year. It looked OK. Looking forward to seeing how the final product turned out, seems like that game could be kind of neat, if all the online stuff they've been talking about for years works.
    Avatar image for teenagejesussuperstar
    TeenageJesusSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

What worries me about what they've shown so far is the game's lack of personality. The shooting looks solid enough and some of  the SMART and on-line stuff seems interesting but everything about the gameworld and the characters just comes off as kind of flat.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By scarace360

This looks like a good game but i wonder on the pc version after about 3 months if anyone will be playing it?

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By niamahai

i hope the single player component will wow us like MK9's.

Levianth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Levianth

My main concerns so far are they haven't really commented on the amount of maps, and the lack of press hands-on feedback. I'll probably buy it regardless, it's nice to see atleast some innovation in shooters these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Levianth: There's 8 maps played from the POV of either the Security or Resistance. Don't know how many missions in total though as some maps are repurposed with different objectives. Trying to find this sort of stuff out is quite difficult as SD haven't release that much info about them even though we're only a week away from release.
    matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By matt

I played it at PAX Prime last year in September and really liked it. The guns felt really good, It's hard to get across but the simple act of shooting was fun. I got lucky and actually was on a team dudes who talked to each other and it was really satisfying to work as a team. One guy could be working on the main objective while I run off and secure another ammo dump. I like multilayer games where you feel important to your team e.g. Brink has different objectives and only certain classes being able to complete some of them so each class has a role to play.

rian123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rian123

This game has the potential to be amazing...or a POC. I'm just worried that since we haven't heard anything, something is going to be broken. Last thing I want to hear is "meh, its another shooter" or "that is one FP assed FPS"

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By abdo

Don't worry about the press, they just don't seem to care for any new IP shooter. I don't think they're 'holding back' anything, they've probably not seen enough to make a firm decision whether it's good or bad. I'm really looking forward to it, hope it's great.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @scarace360 said:
    " This looks like a good game but i wonder on the pc version after about 3 months if anyone will be playing it? "
    Why wouldn't they be?
    rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rmills87
    @niamahai:
    I second this.  After getting MK9 at a midnight release, I was blown away by the single player and stayed up WAY too late.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By Yanngc33

Heard this thing had a campaign, anyone seen it?

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Adamsons
    @Yanngc33 said:
    " Heard this thing had a campaign, anyone seen it? "
    Most likely be a series of bot matches with some kind of overarching narrative.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Yanngc33
    @Adamsons said:
    " @Yanngc33 said:
    Most likely be a series of bot matches with some kind of overarching narrative. "
    That would kind of suck seeing how they're trying to establish some kind of universe but you're probably right :/
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Adamsons
    @Yanngc33 said:
    " @Adamsons said:
    " @Yanngc33 said:
    Most likely be a series of bot matches with some kind of overarching narrative. "
    That would kind of suck seeing how they're trying to establish some kind of universe but you're probably right :/ "
    I think what they are aiming for is a similar experience between SP and MP, I just hope the single player feels cohesive and flowing.

I'm sure it will be a blast to coop through anyway.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By SSully

I am having the same worries. It is out in a week or so if I am not mistaken and I haven't heard anything really new about it. I feel this game is going to be quite the let down.

mephixto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mephixto

I recently watched this vid and it sold it for me

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Lukeweizer said:
    " Waiting for quick look and review/ opinions on the bombcast. "
    They aren't going to like it.

I really wish they put out a demo.
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By DocHaus
    @Adamsons said:

" @Yanngc33 said:

I know this is probably a PR thing, but the game's lead writer said: 

Let’s say you are playing what you think of as a totally multiplayer game: it’s online against human opponents -- everyone, on your side and the other [is human]. One of those players -- either on your team or on the opposing team -- could be playing through it in a single-player storyline. It just so happens that they are playing that chapter of their story online against human opponents (and we give them extra XP for doing that).

Basically, the single-player for both sides will be an 8v8 match with bots by default, but you can easily invite friends to either engage in a comp stomp or play a multiplayer match that just happens to correspond to the story you are currently playing through. I just hope that's what actually happens and not just snippets at the beginning and/or end of matches like most multiplayer shooters.
    HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HoM3R

They also showed in-game narrative and cutscenes so really wondering what the singleplayer is gonna be like. Playing it with people online sounds cool.
    But hoping they will have a different setup for multiplayer without any story elements or narrative. Because I dont want the multiplayer maps to feel like im playing a singleplayer mission for the tenth time. Also filling in servers with bots to keep the experience will ruin the game for me.
    The looks sound and gameplay look/sound top notch hoping the entire TF2 pc community will make a mass switch to this and we will be rolling for 2 or 3 more years. Also hoping Valve will alow them to steal there community and support the hell out of this with steam.

Deimos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deimos
    @SSully said:
    " I am having the same worries. It is out in a week or so if I am not mistaken and I haven't heard anything really new about it. I feel this game is going to be quite the let down. "
    Pretty much all of the content I have seen has been from the marketing videos and that worries me.  Previews have been few and far in between and whenever it has been brought up in podcasts conversation on the game falls through the cracks. The other thing that concerns me is the fact that the campaign is just the same maps with bots. It reminds me of the "campaign" in Unreal Tournament 3 which it is just not my cup of tea. I will wait for reviews and perhaps wait for a price drop.  If there is a game that desperately needs a demo it is this one!
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I was hoping for a really great solo experience with a grand story and game play.  Playing pretty much a MP game with bots for a 'solo' side has me sad.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Agent47
    @TeenageJesusSuperstar: .................!?!?!?!?!Dude....dude....seriously?You do realize that their are no pre defined characters right?The game is based around the Ark and it's factions not characters.All the characters in the game are players.So when you see cutscenes the people in it are other actual players.(granted of course you are online)
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Agent47
    @NekuSakuraba: TF2 fanboys?
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By kingzetta

It should be pretty good if free mode and challenge mode can be played offline.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Agent47
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By niamahai
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By BabyChooChoo

My problem is nothing stands out. It's missing that "thing" for me that makes me want to buy it. The whole SMART thing is interesting, but unless the entire level is designed so I can make use of it all the time then what's the point? I don't know, just everything about it screams "look at how cool I'm trying to be. oooooooooooooooooooooooooow."

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kingzetta

all the people look like that eagle muppet

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By StealthRaptor
    @kingzetta said:
    " all the people look like that eagle muppet "
    His name is Sam Eagle. Get it right.
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Solh0und

Well @yinstarrunner said:

" @Lukeweizer said:
    " Waiting for quick look and review/ opinions on the bombcast. "
    They aren't going to like it.
    I really wish they put out a demo. "
    Well Jeff himself said it looked neat ....so at least he'll welcome it with open arms if he's the one to review it.

If anything, people won't like this game because it strays away from the " Modern combat FPS rules and regulations".  There are already alot of CoD "fanboys" bashing the game. I for one am excited for this.

Also, demos tend to not do the game justice.  Example: God of War 3 demo,L4D2,BFBC 1 and 2 demos.
    Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Helimocopter

I lost all of my hype for it unfortunately, it was delayed right? Because there was a while when i was super excited for it, but I think it was delayed and it lost me, and they have done a poor job hyping since then.

ghostchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ghostchant

The last 2 videos (classes and battlefield) have me excited for the game. Wolf:ET is my favorite MP game ever and it looks like this shares a lot
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I do not think we have to worry. The shooting from what Ive seen in videos looks fine. 

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aquablak

Thanks for sharing the video mephixto, that looks fantastic. 

What are the points that come up when you're shooting?  Is that HP?  I'd love it if that was XP, but I imagine not...

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Aquablak said:
    " Thanks for sharing the video mephixto, that looks fantastic.  What are the points that come up when you're shooting?  Is that HP?  I'd love it if that was XP, but I imagine not... "
    Its XP. 
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45  Edited By xpgamer7

I'm still waiting to play it before my verdict.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Aquablak
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Aquablak said:
    " Thanks for sharing the video mephixto, that looks fantastic.  What are the points that come up when you're shooting?  Is that HP?  I'd love it if that was XP, but I imagine not... "
    Its XP.  "
    Oh, that's awesome!  Thanks for the reply.  Can't wait for this game!
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By napalm
    @Jeff said:
    " @UnrealDP said:
    " @DystopiaX: Yeah im probably crazy i think im just remembering a few bombcasts ago when jeff was kinda holding something back about it. Maybe its just embargo. "
    Nope. I haven't seen that game in about a year. It looked OK. Looking forward to seeing how the final product turned out, seems like that game could be kind of neat, if all the online stuff they've been talking about for years works. "
    A bit of a random aside, but do you think you might draw some comparisons regarding Bulletstorm and their traversal methods according to what Brink does? It seems like the traversal stuff for Brink looks awesome, and if it all works out and feels good, that's a deal-sealer for me.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Napalm said:
    " @Jeff said:
    " @UnrealDP said:
    Nope. I haven't seen that game in about a year. It looked OK. Looking forward to seeing how the final product turned out, seems like that game could be kind of neat, if all the online stuff they've been talking about for years works. "
    A bit of a random aside, but do you think you might draw some comparisons regarding Bulletstorm and their traversal methods according to what Brink does? It seems like the traversal stuff for Brink looks awesome, and if it all works out and feels good, that's a deal-sealer for me. "

Check that out
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By napalm
    @The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, I checked that video on the front page and I responded with the only logical sentence:

Let's fucking do this.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Napalm said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, I checked that video on the front page and I responded with the only logical sentence:

Let's fucking do this.
    "
    Im getting it midnight from Walmart. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.