Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Britney Spears

Character » appears in 2 games

A famous singer. She appears as a character in Britney's Dance Beat.

Circus by Britney Spears Review

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Music is a funny thing. Ego’s control so much of what we allow ourselves to listen to that it almost becomes scary. I know this because there are people in the world who will not even bother to spin Kanye West’s critically acclaimed “808’s & Heartbreaks” nor Britneys latest (and greatest?) “Circus”; instead opting for the more macho “big” release this year — Guns ‘n’ Roses’ “Chinese Democracy”.

“Circus” is the follow-up release to a rejuvenated Britney on the back of the dark-electro fest “Blackout”. Being one of the eleven people that actually enjoyed Blackout last year, I’m naturally wanking all over the prospect of a saner Britney doing more of the same. “Circus” is the production extravaganza I’ve been yearning for over the past few weeks.

Records like “Circus” should not be dismissed because of the perceived lack of talent of the “artist”; instead someone should celebrate the fact that someone — be they Britney or an unnamed record label extraordinaire — has crafted a cohesive compilation of bouncing, interesting and (in places) innovative pop songs.

Single “Womanizer” feels like “Blackout pt.II” and paves the way for the four-to-the-floor banging glitch-electro-club sound that was so accomplished but understated in “Blackout”. The 80’s tom-rolls, distorted synths and unusual rhythms open the album brilliantly with Britney’s delivery lazy but refreshing next to the crowd of OTT female vocalists. Moving into “next single territory”, title track “Circus” is a more minimalistic subby grind-fest. The synth hits are hard and the prechorus perfect for close-ups of sweaty bodies in the video. The chorus unleashes into a warbling bass line and glitched backing vocals. It’s kinda like the music equivalent of sex really.

“Out From Under” is the first of a few ballads on “Circus” and Britney shows that she can still belt out the odd-tune or two. The chorus swirls with backing harmonies and crystal clear acoustic guitars twinkle across the soundscape. Rain music without a doubt.

Totally antithesising the mood “Kill The Lights” is a Thriller-inspired disco-pop track with subtle “horror movie” overtones — interestingly the subject of the lyrics: “Mr. Photography I’m ready for my close-up”. Our Britney still hasn’t forgiven the papp’s then? This track’s insanely catchy robotic bass line is her revenge. Or something.

Head-nodding potential is finally broken through with “Shattered Glass” — big swirly synths, enormous subby bass synth stabs and honky piano twitters drive a four-to-the-floor pop beat along. Sadly “If U Seek Amy” — a hip-titled ditty — takes the robo-pop philosophy too far as it develops from a painstaking filtered bass-line into an embarrassing mess of a chorus.

In fact “If U Seek Amy” begins a three-song lull of pretty shit songwriting. “Unusual You” may have a Euro-house beat and all the right production in the right places but feels underdeveloped and predictable. The vocals effect are creative however — an inspiring mix of harmonies, autotune and filters creates for a fresh approach but does little to improve the downtempo feel of the track. Likewise “Blur” starts like a Soundgarden track but grows into the obligatory Timbaland beat and gated synth.

Thankfully “Mmm Papi” quashes the depressing mood of previous tracks with a disco stomper. “Let’s make out” Britney insists before the synths blip all over the place and the bass moves the entire low-end. The lyrics suck but, hey, Britney co-wrote this one; catchy as fuck mind.

“Mannequin” is another hard hitting synth stab disco-track which suffers from the same problems as “Unusual You” before it. The production and melody is spot-on but the song feels tired and familiar. The glitch effects return for this one though, so if you’re a fan of those this is like chocolate cake.

“Lace And Leather” is a slap-bass Chic-esque disco encounter that would be the perfect closer for the record if the dogged “My Baby” wasn’t present at all. You can always pretend right?

While not always consistent, when “Circus” is at full-speed (namely with it’s astounding opening) the record delivers everything a listener could want: hooks, beats and great, great production. It’s shame some tracks “played safe” but the big-hitters are more than enough to carry the record as a whole. For the most part: brilliant. Now you just have to let your ego allow you to enjoy it.

get2sammyb.co.uk
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

I enjoyed Blackout so I hope this is a nice follow up. I must admit, i'm surprised that it's being released on the same day as the, presumably superior, new Take That album which is called The Circus.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By zitosilva

I didn't know there were people that listened to Britney's music witha critical ear. Though I only listened the songs that other people were listening, never really had any interest in digesting an entire cd. But as far as mainstream pop goes, she does have some well produced songs.

And, seriously, Guns'n'Roses is still considered big? I didn't know there were people that still listened to it. I did listen to it a little bit when I was 14, maybe 15. But I can't see what relevance they can have nowadays.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

wait a minute.... you actually reviewed a britney spears cd??? wtf?!

code305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By code305

Eventhough everybody hates her they still like her music. I am not a fan of her though, i am more into rap and 808's & Heartbreak was an amazing album.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By get2sammyb
    TwoOneFive said:
    "wait a minute.... you actually reviewed a britney spears cd??? wtf?!"
    Tarsier said:
    "*pukes*"
    I knew it wouldn't take long.

Most meaningful music outlets have reviewed Britney's album -- because it's actually a massive release. Your little bubble might lead you to believe only rock records matter though. It's entirely wrong.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    TwoOneFive said:
    "wait a minute.... you actually reviewed a britney spears cd??? wtf?!"
    that is nothing uncommon , I personally have reviewed Metallica's Death magnetic Album
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
    Tarsier said:
    "Britney's back eh sammy?!"
    Yes, bitch.

Give it a spin before you "puke"... That's what people who are really interested in a particular topic do. Y'see that allows them to be a fairer and more detailed critic.
    Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Unreal_dro
    Tarsier said:
    "Britney's back eh sammy?!"
    LMAO
    calm down, he's probably a chick. he........ i mean she can review anything she wants. (sammy can mean samantha)

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Bulldog19892

I don't flat out hate Britney's music, but it's really not my style. I don't think I could ever get into her music.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Vinchenzo
    HandsomeDead said:
    "I enjoyed Blackout so I hope this is a nice follow up. I must admit, i'm surprised that it's being released on the same day as the, presumably superior, new Take That album which is called The Circus."
    Aren't you a dude? Just as I assumed, you are like that guy Vixyn from "The Amazing Race."

Vixyn on left, a disgrace to manhood.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

Um....no.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Vinchenzo said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "I enjoyed Blackout so I hope this is a nice follow up. I must admit, i'm surprised that it's being released on the same day as the, presumably superior, new Take That album which is called The Circus."
    Aren't you a dude? Just as I assumed, you are like that guy Vixyn from "The Amazing Race."

"
    Yeah, i'm a guy, but i'm not much like Vixyn. Yet.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By get2sammyb

Kiddies are so uncomfortable with their sexuality. Can't be seen to "touch on" anything they find "inappropriate".

What on Earth would people think?

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Otacon

get2sammyb, I respect you! 

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pibo47

What the fuck dude. Spears? Really?

lovinspoonfuls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lovinspoonfuls

Wait Britney Spears is alive i only thought it was a myth

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    As long as she keeps showing her minge, i will keep looking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.