Double Fine expands scope of the project, making physical copies.

#1 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Double Fine posted a new update on their adventure game Kickstarter page today. This information was also detailed in an e-mail sent to donors. A couple of big items of note:

• The scope of the game has expanded because of the amount received. This means that they'll be spending more time to work on the game and it probably won't see its original intended release window.
  • Additional rewards are being added to various tiers. The most notable addition is that everyone that donates at least $100 will not only get their name in the credits, but will also receive a physical copy of the once digital-only game.
#2 Posted by dudeglove (8298 posts) -

The Double Fine Adventure Book of concept art stuff looks like fun.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Fuck yes!

#4 Edited by CaptainCody (1521 posts) -

Holy shit, they've raised over 2 million dollars? That's 2 million bucks!

#5 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -

@CaptainCody said:

That must be a mistake! Hold on while I check the exchange rate...

Holy shit, you're right!

#6 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

God damn it. Now I'm gonna have to drop another $85 on this.

#7 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

0___o i wonder what would happen if this was something that wasnt an adventure game.

how much more funding would it get? i would really like to see a fan supported brutal legend or hell a fan supported game from anyone of my favorite developers

#8 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@spartanlolz92 said:

0___o i wonder what would happen if this was something that wasnt an adventure game.

how much more funding would it get? i would really like to see a fan supported brutal legend or hell a fan supported game from anyone of my favorite developers

A second Brutal Legend would require much, much more funding than this. This Kickstarter was a major success because Double Fine is a popular developer that set out to make a small game in a genre that most publishers simply don't think will sell anymore.

#9 Posted by Shirogane (3581 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@spartanlolz92 said:

A second Brutal Legend would require much, much more funding than this. This Kickstarter was a major success because Double Fine is a popular developer that set out to make a small game in a genre that most publishers simply don't think will sell anymore.

I wonder how many people you could get to pay for something like Dungeon Keeper 3, or a new Republic Commando, or countless other games like that. Maybe even a new Zone of Enders?

#10 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Is there a kickstarter for raising cash to get Firefly back on the air I wonder, I'll donate my soul and £20.

#11 Posted by ajamafalous (12161 posts) -
@CaptainCody said:

#12 Posted by selbie (1969 posts) -

@Hitchenson said:

Is there a kickstarter for raising cash to get Firefly back on the air I wonder, I'll donate my soul and £20.

I'd do the same except donate $100, so I can get the physical copies of the series and sleep with them under my pillow :P

#13 Posted by Harpell (183 posts) -
@selbie Does...does that Double Fine mascot-thing come and take them, and leave you a dollar...?
#14 Posted by selbie (1969 posts) -

@Harpell said:

@selbie Does...does that Double Fine mascot-thing come and take them, and leave you a dollar...?

Not a dollar....but rather a mended heart and the knowledge that there is still good in this universe....*sigh*

#15 Posted by dudeglove (8298 posts) -

@Shirogane said:

Maybe even a new Zone of Enders?

Don't you fucking dare jinx that.

#16 Edited by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -

Well, if the big budget games we all love cost 50 million dollars to produce, and then retail for 60 bucks a pop... basically we need 800,000 of us to pre-order a game through kickstarter and then you don't need publishers anymore.

I put in 101 buckos.

#17 Posted by weegieanawrench (1943 posts) -

@Shirogane said:

@Hailinel said:

@spartanlolz92 said:

I wonder how many people you could get to pay for something like Dungeon Keeper 3, or a new Republic Commando, or countless other games like that. Maybe even a new Zone of Enders?

I would pay all the money for a new Dungeon Keeper game.

#18 Posted by dudeglove (8298 posts) -

So about two days left and they're sitting on 2.73 million roughly as of time of posting. I wonder if they'll make it to three?

#19 Posted by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

Thanks for reminding me. I'm going to contribute just to get the making of video, which is only interesting because this blew up. Although getting in the credits would be cool, I don't have the money for that.

#20 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

It really is incredible how much they've raised. A real success story for the industry. Can't wait for it to eventually come out and right now I really hope they make the 3 million, just to blow all our minds that little bit more.

#21 Posted by kalmis (1549 posts) -

Ended up throwing another $15 to this.

#22 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I want to give them all my money but I don't have any left to give :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.