Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Broken Age

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jan 14, 2014

A point-and-click adventure game from Tim Schafer and Double Fine Productions, and the first huge success story for a game on Kickstarter, which firmly put Kickstarter on the map as a source for games funding.

Vella and Mog Chothra, is this a bug? (Spoilers)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Yo spoilers.

So I'm fighting Mog Chothra with my laser beam and it seems like my game is bugged. I shoot off 3 of his tentacles, get grabbed by the fourth, and picked up. At this point I'm assuming he's supposed to open his mouth and try to eat me, but he just sits there, mouth closed, and eventually Vella automatically breaks free of the tentacle on her own and the encounter resets.

Am I missing something here?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Darji

Yo spoilers.

So I'm fighting Mog Chothra with my laser beam and it seems like my game is bugged. I shoot off 3 of his tentacles, get grabbed by the fourth, and picked up. At this point I'm assuming he's supposed to open his mouth and try to eat me, but he just sits there, mouth closed, and eventually Vella automatically breaks free of the tentacle on her own and the encounter resets.

Am I missing something here?

One Word: Ladder^^

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer

@darji: Motherfucker, I'm going to blame this one on bad game design. He opens his mouth when he grabs you with both tentacles which creates the expectation that he'll open it when he grabs you with one.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Motherfucker, I'm going to blame this one on bad game design. He opens his mouth when he grabs you with both tentacles which creates the expectation that he'll open it when he grabs you with one.

First rule of Point and Click Adventure games: When you are stuck, always try to use everything from your inventory no matter how stupid it seems^^

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Yeah, I thought I had but on retrospect I think that was when he grabbed me with two tentacles. The weird screen flickering that would only happen when he grabbed me with one tentacle didn't help in convincing me that my game wasn't broken.

lemonadepack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@darji: Yeah, I thought I had but on retrospect I think that was when he grabbed me with two tentacles. The weird screen flickering that would only happen when he grabbed me with one tentacle didn't help in convincing me that my game wasn't broken.

I had the same flicker happen and thought the same thing at first. Eventually I started trying everything and then found out about the ladder

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

It took me a while to get that one. Not even because the puzzle itself is inherently difficult, but because some of Mog's actions/reactions seems like red herrings. When you shoot him in the eye from the wide view, he opens his mouth for a few seconds (although your laser always magically overheats at just that moment). He also opens it when he picks you up with 2 tentacles. I spent a long time trying to shoot him in the mouth during those two situations.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Mog Chothra is a great Godzilla monster name.

holycraplions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By holycraplions

I think I actually am hitting a bug, right after this point in the game. This is the only thread I could find with anything close to it. I beat Mog Chothra, Vella passes out on the beach, and then... game reset! Vella ends up back under the tree, her sister calling up the hill, etc. When I go back to the Maidens Feast, it cuts to the part where Vella has her corset around the bird. Back in Shellmound, everything is just as I left it before the battle, except now my inventory is only a tea towel and knife - no more laser button. When I went back to do battle with Mog Chothra again (figured that was my only option, and thought it might be some sort of bizarre flashback sequence), it cut to Vella lying on the beach, and now it's stuck for good.

Has anyone else hit this bug or found a fix to it? I'd really like to finish off the Vella storyline and see what happens!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10 chaser324  Moderator

@holycraplions: That sounds like you actually did hit a bug. After I fought Mog Chothra, it cut over to Shay (who I hadn't played at all up to that point).

Pestulon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pestulon

@holycraplions: Yeah, same thing happened to me. Game resets after beating Mog Chothra and suddenly Vella is back under the tree with her sister calling for her in the background.

EDIT: Just saw on the Doublefine forums someone reporting the exact same thing (reset to beginning) happening to them with Shay's part, which I haven't yet touched personally. Apparently they are aware of this bug but it might not hurt reporting it again nevertheless.

holycraplions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pestulon: Aw, that sucks that you hit it, too! I'm glad that they're aware of this bug - I like the suggestion of reporting it again and making sure it's on their radar. I have to admit that I don't know if I want to try playing the Shay storyline now, though - it would be a bummer to hit the bug with both characters and be left hanging (and stuck in a weird game state with incorrect inventory). :/ Hopefully there's a fix soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.