Are these the names of the brothers?

Edited 10 months, 7 days ago

Poll: Are these the names of the brothers? (62 votes)

Yes, Naya and Nayi 55%
No, it means Big Bro and Little bro 31%
Neither (OP's note: pffft, yeah right) 15%

I've rarely seen this discussed in talks about the game. I'm sure those of you who played it must have noticed that the younger brother called out "Naya" to the elder, and the elder called out "Nayi" to the younger. What's your interpretation of this? It could easily mean Big Bro, Little Bro, but I'd rather think that it's their names.

#1 Edited by Hunter5024 (5598 posts) -

Their names are Lefty and Righto.

#2 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1202 posts) -

Their names are Game Of and The Year

#3 Edited by development (2209 posts) -

Better question: Are you still a "brother" when your only sibling dies?

Massive end-game spoilers, by the way.

#4 Edited by Aegon (5469 posts) -

@development said:

Better question: Are you still a "brother" when your only sibling dies?

Massive end-game spoilers, by the way.

Nayaaa nnnoooo :(.....[LT] :O

#5 Posted by AgnosticJesus (543 posts) -

I thought their names were Rod and Todd.

#6 Posted by EVO (3889 posts) -

Pete & Pete.

#7 Posted by Ramone (2960 posts) -

Yeah, because I'm pretty sure you hear one of the parents call them by that word at some point as well.

#8 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

"Blondie" and "Brownie".

#9 Posted by Hunter5024 (5598 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

"Blondie" and "Brownie".

No wonder the spider lady wanted to eat them.

#10 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

@ramone: It's common for parents to refer to their kids using the same words the kids use to refer to each other. Because of the common root, I'd assume they mean "big bro'" and "little bro'".

#11 Posted by talibanchic (110 posts) -

@evo: Name 10 better games than Pete and Pete: A tale of two sons.

#12 Posted by EVO (3889 posts) -

Seriously, I can only name a few. Brothers is top 5.

#13 Posted by talibanchic (110 posts) -
#14 Posted by Doskias (304 posts) -

@starvinggamer: I think the doctor-guy that's treating the father calls him Nayi at the end.

#15 Edited by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

@doskias: The same thing can apply to family friends depending on the culture, especially when speaking to younger children.

#16 Edited by Sergio (2079 posts) -

Their names are Nyaa and Naiee. From an interview:

DK: Nice! So, what can you tell us about these two brothers and their quest to retrieve the "Water of Life" in an effort to save their father? What are their names and how are they different in terms of personality and play style?

JF: The idea with brothers is to try to let the player interpret everything in the game. That's why I don´t want to go into too much detail of how they behave and what their quest is really about. Their names are said in the game but that's also not very important. With that said, it's also important to clarify that the differences between the brothers is not so much about the game mechanics rather about the way they react to the world and how they interact with the characters they meet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.