So, In Regards To The Ending...(SPOILERS)

#1 Edited by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

I just beat the game today and found the ending really moving. Throughout the game the cutscenes highlight the feelings associated with death. The cutscenes handle those emotions well enough. But throughout the game what sold those messages were the events you controlled as the player. The moment when you could cut down the rope that man was using to hang himself due to being so overwhelmed with his home burning down with his family inside was a good example of this.

But at the end, when I came to the water with little brother I had thought that the cutscene prior to him seeing the water would have given him the ability to simply swim across the water. So I kept running in to the water, hitting RT, and nothing happened. Then I tried hitting LT and there he was swimming across the water and I instantly smiled and was saddened all at once. It was such a powerful moment for such a small action. Then using LT to pull the switch and to jump up to the cliff. It was really amazing.

It put forward that idea, that was highlighted throughout the game, that though people are no longer with us that doesn't mean that they are gone forever. We don't have to have the person next to us to have them influence us. As I thought about this through the credits I thought about Ryan. I still get a weird feeling when I think about the fact that Ryan is no longer with us because it just doesn't seem real. It's like I need to remind myself. Whenever I do I get sad but it doesn't really bring me down too low. But with this game I thought about Ryan and some of my other friends who have passed away through my life and I got that feeling I got when I first hit LT by the water; happy and sad. Because those friends are still with me and Ryan is still with this site and its staff.

The game had it's problems gameplay-wise and was bit glitchy for me. But for it to leave such an impact on me I couldn't help but come away really, really impressed by it. It almost reminded me of when I finished The Walking Dead and The Last of Us. It's something that is going to stick with me. What did the rest of you think?

#2 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

lol

#3 Edited by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -
#4 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange:

Hah?

Have you finished it yet?

I haven't even played. Nor has anyone else if this thread is any indication. Bad game is bad duder. You should play Pikmin 3 instead.

#5 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3399 posts) -

LT for Ryan, I like it.

#6 Edited by MEATBALL (3244 posts) -

A lot of the game felt a bit heavy-handed to me, but that one moment was great. A really nice touch and use of the game's mechanics.

#7 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3399 posts) -

@meatball said:

A lot of the game felt a bit heavy-handed to me, but that one moment was great. A really nice touch and use of the game's mechanics.

Sounds like a sequel won't be in the works, but can you imagine how awesome the title of that game would be?

"Brothers II: A Tale of Two Sons 2"

#8 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1833 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange:

Hah?

I haven't even played. Nor has anyone else if this thread is any indication. Bad game is bad duder. You should play Pikmin 3 instead.

Well there's no need to be a jerk about it

#9 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3399 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darthorange said:

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange:

Hah?

indeed, just watched snippets of the ending and seems like an emotional rollercoaster if I had played it. For some reason this game reminds me of papo and yo.

Younger brother is hardcore, no doubt he turns into John Marston when he gets older

#10 Posted by RafamanGrundy (44 posts) -

I just finished the game, and I found it to be the most emotionally resonant experience I've ever had with a video game. Throughout the body of the game the connection you build up between the brothers, through mechanics as well as story, is so strong and well executed, and I think it's the strength of that which really gives the ending its weight.

It's one of those games where I found myself playing a certain way not just because the game part demanded it, but just because it felt like the right thing to do. I'd always send the big brother forward first into dangerous spots, to test the way. After the section where the little brother nearly drowns, I made him run closer to the big brother for a while. I found the way they look after each other throughout really touching. Again, the actual mechanics of play combine so well with the actual cutscenes to build this feeling, I thought it was incredibly well done. Maybe it's because I've got brothers myself who I'm close to but live a long way from, but it really got to me.

Having built up such a strong relationship the ending was a real kicker. Just the physical sensation of only moving one stick felt wrong, a constant reminder of the loss. Bringing back the left trigger was a great moment for me, a fantastic callback to all the times the younger brother grabs on to the elder's back to get carried across the water. I'm impressed they had the balls to close on such a bummer note though, it's hardly a hollywood ending.

The game may have its flaws (I didnt have any problems with glitches personally, but I did have a few frustrating moments in the climbing sections), but like I said it really hit me in a way a game never has before. Plus it's absolutely fucking gorrrrrgeous.

#11 Edited by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -

@i_stay_puft:

I didn't really get a John Marston from him. But he does end up accepting and handling death better then his father (whether that's good or bad is up to the audience). I also see the Papo y Yo vibe but this game's story is much more consistent. Papo y Yo didn't really get a good emotional tone until the end. Brothers has the tone, with its ups and downs, more often throughout the game.

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darthorange said:

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange:

Hah?

It's an inside joke. Basically Darth is incapable at facing reality in any regard. Also he really likes the Wii U for some unknown reason.

@meatball said:

Yeah, at times it was a bit much and a little forced. Specifically with the cutscenes. But when the gameplay matched the tone it was really cool. Also, the very last cutscene with the father was very poignant I thought.

#12 Posted by tread311 (356 posts) -

I thought this was great. It's a shame that it isn't getting Journey level discussion because I think this is a better game almost all the way around. I know Gary Whitta and Justin McElroy have tried to champion it a bit so hopefully it will find more people.

#13 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I just knew the older brother would die for shock value. And he did. I waited this moment like a jerk throughout the game, and he died. It didn't move me at all, because somehow, I was 100% expecting the devs to go for the shock value road.

#14 Edited by tread311 (356 posts) -

I love that when a game kills a character it's "shock value" and that if a character pulls through then people say they whimped out. The character's death lets them use the game mechanic to add emotional resonance to the ending and anytime a game mechanic is used that way it illustrates what makes gaming special. No movie or book can provide that.

#15 Posted by oraknabo (1467 posts) -

I also liked how you suddenly had half of your controller become useless as soon as he died. It really drove home the sense of loss.

#16 Edited by mrfluke (5160 posts) -

lol

but for reals, not too surprised at that ending, their execution is genius though, as the 2 brothers were the gameplay aspect, so taking away 1 brother from you, you definitely will "feel" it more than the usual story empathy.

#17 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

@tread311 said:

I thought this was great. It's a shame that it isn't getting Journey level discussion because I think this is a better game almost all the way around. I know Gary Whitta and Justin McElroy have tried to champion it a bit so hopefully it will find more people.

Hopefully once it hits steam it will pick up... steam? The game is incredible. It's really too bad that the QL shows you right up until the moment the game gets amazing because I think the design of the other areas (valley of giants in particular) would sell people more.

The gameplay isn't much to speak about as it is largely just moving forward in through the areas with obstacles being few and far between, but this game is all atmosphere and details anyway, so I won't hold it against it.

#18 Posted by Bocam (3755 posts) -

So does their dad die?

#19 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -
#20 Posted by HelicopterSpy (144 posts) -

Left trigger to swim at the end just might be the best single button press in video game history.

#21 Posted by VincentLonga (66 posts) -

Left trigger to swim at the end just might be the best single button press in video game history.

I wholeheartedly agree. The sense of loss you feel when the left stick and trigger don't do anything really drives home the point that something is missing. The whole game builds the idea of the 2 brothers and the 2 analog sticks being complimentary, then when the older bother dies it expresses it in SUCH a powerful way. I agree with Patrick, only a game could have expresses what Brothers did. Before the swim moment, touching the left stick made me sad; it made me miss having the other brother there. I even took my left hand away from the controller a few times. When the left half of the controller started rumbling faintly a light bulb went on, and I had a big "wow" moment.

GOTY idea: best use of rumble.

#22 Edited by Milkman (16801 posts) -

Well said and I completely agree. The whole ending sequence is so well done and a perfect example of great storytelling through game mechanics. Games like Last of Us and BioShock Infinite are great but they would be just as powerful if they were movies. While Brothers works because it's a game, not in spite of it.

#23 Posted by ike7779 (318 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darthorange said:

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange:

Hah?

indeed, just watched snippets of the ending and seems like an emotional rollercoaster if I had played it. For some reason this game reminds me of papo and yo.

Younger brother is hardcore, no doubt he turns into John Marston when he gets older

I was comparing it to Papo &Yo too when I was near the end. Rough delivery, overall not great but it has a few worthwhile moments.

#24 Posted by Jedted (2364 posts) -

After hearing Brad talk about it so much on the Bombcast i thought, "i have to play this." I really like innovative control scheme even though it got me turned around numerous times throughout the game, it was still a fun way to solve the puzzles.

I wasn't expecting Big Bro to die, after all the two of them had been through i was hopeful they'd both make it through and save Papa(Optimist :) ). That part where Little Bro had to bury Big Bro really pulled at my heartstrings, i almost wanted to stop playing but i soldiered on. Later on when Little Bro is able to swim by himself, as well as do all the things that Big Bro could do, it made me feel better.

As @jasonr86 said, it just goes to show you how losing friends/family may hurt at first but we all manage to find some strength in it.

#25 Posted by Th3irdEye (258 posts) -

@jedted: Yes. The part where the game makes you bury Big Brother is so powerful. How slow you move during this sequence and the music and everything really drive it home. Up until this point I kept thinking the magic water was going to take effect and Big Brother was going to wake up any second. Also that part where the camera spins around Little Brother and Big Brother hugs him. I totally thought that was real and then it spun around again and he was still on the ground. Way to kick me while I'm down, game. Such a great experience and a great game. From the amazing detailed visuals to the unique controls. The way they use the mechanics to tug at your heart strings. I loved every second of it.

#26 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

@helicopterspy said:

It's certainly up there man. Up there with pulling the trigger on The Boss in MGS3. Well, in terms of single button presses that say something relatively profound.

In any case, I'd say that having played To The Moon, The Last of Us and Gone Home before Brothers, its overall impact was definitely diminished for me aside from the epilogue. There are certainly touching moments in it, but you see certain plot elements coming from SO FAR AWAY that it strongly detracts from the overall experience. I would also argue that it lacks a depth to the characters - compared with the other three games, everything in Brothers feels like a rather simplistic caricature. Perhaps that was intentional, but I feel it detracts from any sense of resonance the game tried to build.

If it were more mechanically complex/interesting or the characters themselves were a bit more fleshed out, perhaps I'd like it more - but as it stands, it's on my "most touching games out there" list but nowhere near the top.

#27 Posted by OptimalPower (113 posts) -

I finished it when it came out and I'm right there with Brad. Excellent game.

#28 Posted by AssInAss (2648 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

I just beat the game today and found the ending really moving. Throughout the game the cutscenes highlight the feelings associated with death. The cutscenes handle those emotions well enough. But throughout the game what sold those messages were the events you controlled as the player. The moment when you could cut down the rope that man was using to hang himself due to being so overwhelmed with his home burning down with his family inside was a good example of this.

But at the end, when I came to the water with little brother I had thought that the cutscene prior to him seeing the water would have given him the ability to simply swim across the water. So I kept running in to the water, hitting RT, and nothing happened. Then I tried hitting LT and there he was swimming across the water and I instantly smiled and was saddened all at once. It was such a powerful moment for such a small action. Then using LT to pull the switch and to jump up to the cliff. It was really amazing.

It put forward that idea, that was highlighted throughout the game, that though people are no longer with us that doesn't mean that they are gone forever. We don't have to have the person next to us to have them influence us. As I thought about this through the credits I thought about Ryan. I still get a weird feeling when I think about the fact that Ryan is no longer with us because it just doesn't seem real. It's like I need to remind myself. Whenever I do I get sad but it doesn't really bring me down too low. But with this game I thought about Ryan and some of my other friends who have passed away through my life and I got that feeling I got when I first hit LT by the water; happy and sad. Because those friends are still with me and Ryan is still with this site and its staff.

The game had it's problems gameplay-wise and was bit glitchy for me. But for it to leave such an impact on me I couldn't help but come away really, really impressed by it. It almost reminded me of when I finished The Walking Dead and The Last of Us. It's something that is going to stick with me. What did the rest of you think?

Welp, reading this has me welling up. The burying scene is what got to me, having to push every mound of dirt into the grave. Very good point that even though someone is not there, their influence will be.

It's nice to see the staff are recovering well, Jeff Gerstmann killed it at the PAX panel. Has he ever done stand up comedy? He's a natural for it.

#29 Edited by geirr (2574 posts) -

As my wife said, fuck crazy spider bitches.

@jasonr86 said:

This part was really great to me too. I tried explaining it when this part of the game played out to my wife (as she was watching my playthrough) but she was still extremely annoyed about the crazy spider bitch.

We also loooooved the turtle 'curling' and the griffowls and the orcas and the .. . ... ..

I know this will likely only make sense to Scandinavian people, but do you feel a slight Astrid Lindgren vibe to this game? Story-wise and atmospherically I couldn't help thinking about The Brothers Lionheart. I have a feeling they got extremely inspired by this tale, in a good way.

#30 Edited by RealEddie (46 posts) -

@geirr: I totally agree. A number of Astrid Lindgren books flashed before my mind as a played the game. But all in a good way :)

I really loved this game.

#31 Posted by Hunter5024 (5688 posts) -

I felt like the ending went a bit too long. Personally if I was making this game, I would have found a way to have the game end with LT to swim, because that was the most powerful part. The whole scene with the father dropping to his knees at the two graves, while Lil Bro looks wistfully off into the distance was so unnecessary.

#32 Edited by HISCORE (8 posts) -

The story was cool, but the actual gameplay (of the game) was terrible. Imagine if we judged other mediums this way.Nice novel, unfortunate that [the print] was printed upside-down and backwards. Great movie, too bad it was filmed entirely from a thousand feet away.

#33 Edited by Praab_NZ (281 posts) -

Yeah.... the story was executed in an interesting way through the use of these mechanics, the story itself it wasn't exactly original, but in my personal experience it was too short for me to bond with the characters enough - not just in terms of hours, but in the way they told the story and hit the beats.
It seemed like they travelled quite far but in reality they didn't really face many hardships together that weren't tossed aside instantly, they were thrust into these deadly and disturbing environments but never seemed to be emotionally affected by them and you continued on to the next event.

I as the player did not get enough time or reason to reflect on the nasty things that were happening, and the brothers didn't seem to be that bothered with murdering trolls or maiming giant corpses which I found odd.
However I think I suffered from overhype by certain members of the gaming press and that is really my issue for buying into that, I think I can get why this story has resonance for people but - like others have said it was too heavy handed for me and there wasn't enough subtlety in the character building to make me care as much as the game wanted me to.

#34 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

Just finished it, I fall in the camp of people who loved it. I had some issues with the controls, but nothing major. I was sucked into the world from the outset. I went through the game kind of in awe, just loving everything I was seeing(and hearing). Then of course..the end. I kinda expected it going in(though stopped thinking about it part way through), but man. It was so much more powerful than I was expecting.

As for not building and such..I don't know. I guess I can see how people would feel that way, but I for some reason I felt it didn't really need all that exposition. It didn't need to show them talking out struggles or having bonding moments(though there's stuff like the benches if you count those). I thought the mechanics conveyed their relationship pretty well actually, especially the trust aspect. And through the little interactables in the world you could kinda get a better sense of each brother. I'm not saying they're amazing characters or anything, but the lack of traditional character building didn't detract for me.

#35 Posted by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

@geirr said:

I know this will likely only make sense to Scandinavian people, but do you feel a slight Astrid Lindgren vibe to this game? Story-wise and atmospherically I couldn't help thinking about The Brothers Lionheart. I have a feeling they got extremely inspired by this tale, in a good way.

Yup, and I feel pretty confident thinking that the colors of the brothers were also inspired by the film.

#36 Posted by bkizzle444 (1 posts) -

I thought your review was excellent. And this game is really good. Too bad people are closed minded towards it. Best 15$ game I've ever bought.

#37 Edited by Aegon (5641 posts) -

I have one sibling...my younger brother (currently 11 y/o). So even though I saw the death of Naya coming from the beginning, it was still emotionally impactful. Naya getting stabbed in the gut was not easy to watch, especially with me being a big bro in real life, lol.

LT was probably the best moment in the game.

#38 Edited by ExcessDebris (146 posts) -

I heard somewhere this is one of the 10 best games of the year. Apparently without a doubt....

#39 Posted by kishinfoulux (2311 posts) -

The LT moment was pretty nice, for sure.

There were just a lot of moments where I just kept getting pulled out though, even though I kept telling myself it's a video game. Also the big brother seemed more interested in getting laid by Lady Spider Queen then saving his pops.

The controls were definitely a bit frustrating at point. I remember Jeff saying in the Quick Look that maybe there could've been a button that puts them together as one and then again to separate them. That would've worked perfect. To The Moon is still the absolute high point of making me an emotional wreck and I felt this came nowhere close to that. Also, unless I missed something, the young bro totally didn't have that magical medicine with him and then his ghost mom just pulls some deus ex machina nonsense and he has it all of a sudden. Again maybe I missed something, but that felt really cheap.

Has some fun, clever puzzles though. Almost wouldn't have minded if the game had no story and it was just that instead.

#40 Posted by AlexWGR (2 posts) -

I don't think I disagree with a lot of the problems mentioned here. I don't think the plot/story of the game is that strong or special.

But props to Starbreeze for being one of the first (if not the first) studios to actually use a game's controls to get its point across. The strength of Brothers comes from the way it makes you feel, and the way it achieves that with the controller you are holding.

#41 Posted by zFUBARz (627 posts) -

The game was pretty damn good, maybe not up to the level Brad made it out, but we'll see when the year is done.

The left trigger moment was great, because really that's what life, family, and loss are all about. Keeping whatever strength they gave you inside of you, learning, and growing.

and people saying it was cliche or predictable, sure anything can happen, but this game does it well, and having the final moments of the game, the father breaking down in tears, and the last son standing stoically by his side... Yeah there's nothing weak about that ending, that's driving the point home with a hammer, when they could easily have ended it a scene earlier.

#42 Posted by dr_mantas (1887 posts) -

It was pretty good, although the story was a bit predictable, somehow even from the title screen.
As well as the girl being evil, although didn't expect a freaking spider.

It's really worth playing, but nowhere near the emotional high that it seems it was for others. For example, the ending of Bastion hit me so much more. Even the second time.

All in all, a great sort of classic tale. The controls were pretty interesting, probably the most interesting part.

#43 Edited by SharkEthic (1049 posts) -

The game tries to tug at your heartstrings with the subtlety of the fucking apocalypse. I found the the whole thing emotionally manipulative and the execution ham-fisted.

#44 Posted by BeachThunder (11944 posts) -

That button press moment was the moment that redeemed this game for me (it's still not in my top 10 though). Anyway, I'm a sucker for clever gameplay moments; this was close to being up there with that moment from Braid.

#45 Posted by Hyuzen (453 posts) -

I got to that moment and thought it was pretty cool how it tied together the experience of the game with the controls, but I didn't find it all that emotionally resonant. Certainly not enough to put the game in the top 10 or give that the best moment award, but to each their own. Overall the game was pretty good, it looks nice and keeps things pretty fresh, but I'm sure I could find 10 games better than it from this year, maybe even 10 moments better than that one if I had the time to play more games this year.

#46 Posted by dizzuncan (10 posts) -

Twas a neat experience, and I'm glad I played it, but I felt pretty underwhelmed honestly. Maybe Brad just over-hyped it way too much, I don't know. I thought the emotional payoffs in Journey and Bastion were far more profound.

#47 Edited by wewantsthering (1567 posts) -

The game really took me by surprise because I found myself irritated by the gameplay through most of it and I wasn't really all that sad when the brother actually died. I felt like I was missing something. It wasn't until the swimming scene at the end that it really hit me. I've lost several close people in the past five years so it really resonated with me. Really powerful and touching.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.