The part of this game I don't understand (massive spoilers)

#1 Edited by minivan (172 posts) -

What was the point of the girl the brothers rescue turning into an evil spider thing?

Are they actually using the damsel in distress trope followed directly by the trope where a sexy lady distracts a man from the things that really matter (his family in this case) and then stabs him in the back? If so, isn't this reliance on bad tropes a huge negative for a story-based game?

Or is the game some complex commentary on those tropes that I'm just not seeing?

#2 Edited by hermes (1350 posts) -

I took it as a pretty straight example, and while it didn't ruin the game for me, it seriously hurt it.

Kind of makes up for it with the following sequence, but it makes the death of the big brother too sudden and manipulative...

#3 Posted by Atlas (2428 posts) -

I guess the problem is that Brothers is so heavily inspired by folklore and mythology, both of which are generally patriarchal and misogynistic. It is a male dominated story, one about emerging into manhood, and I suppose part of the lesson that the younger brother "should" learn is not to get manipulated by devious women, and not to think with your dick instead of your brain. But maybe it's actually about the dangers of sex - STDs, pregnancy, and all that. Or maybe the moral is that if you see a young woman about to be sacrificed by blood-thirsty gremlin creatures, she probably did something to deserve it.

Either way, I don't think the game is implying that women are inherently she-spider like monsters beguiling young men into their lairs to devour them, but it is an ambiguous sequence, open to many different interpretations, and it's probably the only sequence in the game that doesn't really need to be there.

#4 Edited by SunBroZak (980 posts) -

I saw it as a common trope in folklore storytelling. The seductive, female creature that would lure unsuspecting travelers into a trap. The way I see it, I know one of the boys was going to die some way or another, and this was their way of contriving an excuse. Though I didn't feel it was unearned. I would believe that the two boys would want to save (what they thought) was a damsel in distress, and I would believe that the older of the two brothers would be at an age where he could fall prey to the creature's seduction.

In my opinion, there's something to be said for taking a storytelling technique that's been used over and over, and do it right.

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (7911 posts) -

The entire game was a cavalcade of fantasy tropes stacked on top of one another. That one didn't stand out to me at all.

#6 Posted by Tajasaurus (783 posts) -

I just thought that she was some evil shape-shifting spider monster who would pretend to be a victim to lure passers by back to her web and eat them. I didn't really think about it any more than that.

#7 Posted by minivan (172 posts) -

I just thought that she was some evil shape-shifting spider monster who would pretend to be a victim to lure passers by back to her web and eat them. I didn't really think about it any more than that.

So she set up that whole blood ritual thing and journey past the invisible monster thing as a trap? Interesting idea I hadn't thought about.

The entire game was a cavalcade of fantasy tropes stacked on top of one another. That one didn't stand out to me at all.

I saw it as a common trope in folklore storytelling. The seductive, female creature that would lure unsuspecting travelers into a trap. The way I see it, I know one of the boys was going to die some way or another, and this was their way of contriving an excuse. Though I didn't feel it was unearned. I would believe that the two boys would want to save (what they thought) was a damsel in distress, and I would believe that the older of the two brothers would be at an age where he could fall prey to the creature's seduction.

In my opinion, there's something to be said for taking a storytelling technique that's been used over and over, and do it right.

I think these are probably the correct answers to my questions. It's a crazy but typical fantasy story with plenty of other tropes. The damsel + seduction tropes just stood out to me because they've gotten so much negative press recently. Unfortunately I still think this is a flaw in the game. It's a lazy way to get one brother to die and move the story forwards.

#8 Posted by Choi (534 posts) -

In the room with the cauldron, just before the ritual "courtyard" you can see a cave painting on the wall depicting men with spears and shields fighting of some big, spider like creatures. I also thought it was kinda strange how she leaped the big channel where you first meet the invisible giant, so that makes sense too.
So the twist with the spider lady is not so out of the blue... But yeah, that game is not that great, a lot of contrived story, gameplay and puzzle mechanics. I could EASILY name 10 better games, just not this year :P

#9 Posted by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

@atlas said:

women are inherently she-spider like monsters beguiling young men into their lairs to devour them

I don't know how many dates you've been on with older women, but nothing about that statement comes across to me as anything other than empirical fact.

#10 Edited by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Can't make a ho a housewife.

#11 Posted by BeachThunder (11638 posts) -

@choi said:

I also thought it was kinda strange how she leaped the big channel where you first meet the invisible giant, so that makes sense too.

Honestly, the game has such wonky movement and animation, I thought that was just another example of that.

#12 Posted by Choi (534 posts) -

@beachthunder: yeah, I know, right?

Yeah, all and all I was not impressed at all. The giants warzone area looked cool and the end gameplay mechanic of "remembering" your brother and getting his strenght to swim was cool, all and all, nothing special.

#13 Posted by StarvingGamer (7911 posts) -

@minivan said:
@tajasaurus said:

So she set up that whole blood ritual thing and journey past the invisible monster thing as a trap? Interesting idea I hadn't thought about.

Weird necro but I'm gonna reply to this anyway. Saving an innocent looking person from apparent savages when it later turns out the innocent looking person was the real danger and that the savages maybe weren't all that bad is another major fantasy trope.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.