Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brütal Legend

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Brütal Legend is a humorous heavy-metal, open-world, action-adventure game with light real-time strategy elements. As Eddie Riggs, lead the people of the Brütal World to rise up against the Tainted Coil demons who rule the world, and their leader, the sinister Emperor Doviculus.

Brütal Legend fresh demo impressions.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Edited By jimbo_n
    No Caption Provided
    So I got my hands on the Xbox 360 demo today through the pre-order deal. The demo is the 20 or so first minutes of the game thats been released as a video with Tim Schafer narrating it, plus the introduction movie. So its a very small taste of things to come.
    You watch the intro, get your axe and guitar, create your car, drive for a while and then defeat the big snake thing. So most of you all know what this ís about already so i´ll explain how it actually plays for those of you that have to wait another week for the public demo.
    The Hack n slash gameplay is standard Devil May Cry but a bit slower and more "tanky". Its not always appearent when the best time to strike is and there isnt alot of combos as far as the actual axe goes. So this part felt very simpe. But hey, its the very beginning of the game so I´m not going to linger on that at all.

The guitar can be mixed in very smoothly with the axe to create lightning and fireworks and both of the weapons work in a very Fable 2 like way. Hold and release for heavy blows and quickly tap for light, fast attacks. Combine both the Axe button and the Guitar button without going into any menues and reap the rewards the more you string them together. Its pretty much all Fable 2.The car handling dosent offer any surprises.And you really wouldnt want it to. It moves in a predictable arcade way with a boost and a handbrake button and I did not have any problems defeating the worm with it. None of these mechanics feels very spectacular on their own but in a wrapped up package combined with all the stuff that comes later I have no doubt that it will all be very enjoyable.

Camera control felt a bit slow on default settings so I had to crank em up a bit and your movement felt a tad unresponsive. But thats really only nitpicking. I didnt really
    think about any of it at all past the first 5 minutes of gameplay. I didnt notice any HUD display at all. When you´ve used your guitar for a while it just
    stops working. Theres no energy meter for it that drains and fills up. You just wait a while and start using it again wich is kinda wierd.
    The same goes for health. Maybe I´m just blind but as I took a beating I didnt notice anything representing my health at all. It kinda felt like I was in god mode, tho maybe I was for the sake of the tutorial area or the demo.

The thing I need to stress the most tho is how well the graphics actually work on an HDTV. I feel like the videos havent really done it justice. The artstyle is superb and the characters animate and emote in a way that really makes you feel for them. It also enhances the humor a great bit. The facial explressions of the characters adds
    so much to the lines that they deliver.
    And even tho I´ve seen it in videos before, the "walk the 4 legged thing off the bone pile by praying to the evil gods" sequence is still one of the funniest gaming
    moments in a while.

And oh, yea the intro is an overload of awesome ! If you havent already, check it out!

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jimbo_n
    No Caption Provided
    So I got my hands on the Xbox 360 demo today through the pre-order deal. The demo is the 20 or so first minutes of the game thats been released as a video with Tim Schafer narrating it, plus the introduction movie. So its a very small taste of things to come.
    You watch the intro, get your axe and guitar, create your car, drive for a while and then defeat the big snake thing. So most of you all know what this ís about already so i´ll explain how it actually plays for those of you that have to wait another week for the public demo.
    The Hack n slash gameplay is standard Devil May Cry but a bit slower and more "tanky". Its not always appearent when the best time to strike is and there isnt alot of combos as far as the actual axe goes. So this part felt very simpe. But hey, its the very beginning of the game so I´m not going to linger on that at all.

The guitar can be mixed in very smoothly with the axe to create lightning and fireworks and both of the weapons work in a very Fable 2 like way. Hold and release for heavy blows and quickly tap for light, fast attacks. Combine both the Axe button and the Guitar button without going into any menues and reap the rewards the more you string them together. Its pretty much all Fable 2.The car handling dosent offer any surprises.And you really wouldnt want it to. It moves in a predictable arcade way with a boost and a handbrake button and I did not have any problems defeating the worm with it. None of these mechanics feels very spectacular on their own but in a wrapped up package combined with all the stuff that comes later I have no doubt that it will all be very enjoyable.

Camera control felt a bit slow on default settings so I had to crank em up a bit and your movement felt a tad unresponsive. But thats really only nitpicking. I didnt really
    think about any of it at all past the first 5 minutes of gameplay. I didnt notice any HUD display at all. When you´ve used your guitar for a while it just
    stops working. Theres no energy meter for it that drains and fills up. You just wait a while and start using it again wich is kinda wierd.
    The same goes for health. Maybe I´m just blind but as I took a beating I didnt notice anything representing my health at all. It kinda felt like I was in god mode, tho maybe I was for the sake of the tutorial area or the demo.

The thing I need to stress the most tho is how well the graphics actually work on an HDTV. I feel like the videos havent really done it justice. The artstyle is superb and the characters animate and emote in a way that really makes you feel for them. It also enhances the humor a great bit. The facial explressions of the characters adds
    so much to the lines that they deliver.
    And even tho I´ve seen it in videos before, the "walk the 4 legged thing off the bone pile by praying to the evil gods" sequence is still one of the funniest gaming
    moments in a while.

And oh, yea the intro is an overload of awesome ! If you havent already, check it out!

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By raddevon

I'm guessing the demo doesn't contain any of the game's RTS elements. Is anyone else a little nervous that Double Fine seems so reluctant to show what they claim is a major part of the game? We're only a month from release. I would think they might want to show that off if they are confident in it.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jimbo_n

Nope. nothing outside of the actual first 20 minutes of the game.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By raddevon
    @Jimbo_N: Oh well. Thanks for your impressions. Great article!
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cincaid

Gah, just realized only those who pre-ordered through GameStop can get the demo today. No offense or anything, just a little annoyed as I stood all day at work today looking forward to download the game as soon as I got home.

Ah well, all in due time I guess, just jealous I suppose, hehe.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Zabant

bullshit.

I'm pretty angry right now.

demo's exist solely to sell people who are undecided or don't know about the game.

PEOPLE WHO HAVE PREORDERED IT ARE GOING TO BUY IT ANYWAY.

IN THE FUTURE CALL IT SOMETHING OTHER THAN A GOD DAMN DEMO.

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WonderboyCoz

yeah, Jimbo, as you use the guitar it begins to glow red until it overheats, when it cools down you can use it again. As for the health, I am not really sure about that, will have to wait and see.

also, don't really see your problems with the camera and control responsiveness, I thought it was great, but cool little article anyway.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

Does this pre-order demo work the same way as the Fight Night Round 4 pre-order demo worked? You can just download it and burn it and it will let you play it even if you do not have a modded console?

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I have to wait for PSN to take my code. :(

day2daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By day2daze

THANK GOD for you (whatchya need to do.JIMBO), ive been on here all day (practically) waiting for someone to give me the ok. I'd heard all kinds of shit 
    'do it to early and your code might be invalidated'
    'doesn't actually go up till 11pm'
    yadayda
    cya later SUCKERS!

day2daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By day2daze

DAYUM?! 1.6g download? EPIC!
    guess ill have to wait a lil longer..

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jimbo_n

Here in Sweden we have several stores of choice to get the demo early. I pre-ordered it from a website I dont usually buy from, got the code via e-mail and then instantly cancelled my order to pre-order where and when I like later. 
    If they abuse us with demos like this I´ll abuse the stores a bit. I dont sign anything saying I have to KEEP my pre-order.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @raddevon said:
    " I'm guessing the demo doesn't contain any of the game's RTS elements. Is anyone else a little nervous that Double Fine seems so reluctant to show what they claim is a major part of the game? We're only a month from release. I would think they might want to show that off if they are confident in it. "
    Yeah, especially since the multiplayer is all in that RTS style.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Diamond

I really liked the demo.  Makes me confident about the basic mechanics of the game.  I really wanted to see some of the non linear bits, because that will be the difference between a very good game and extremely great / GOTY to me.

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By juice8367

Nice demo review.  Still exercising caution about the back half of the game though...

Avatar image for deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e
    deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm curious, having not played the demo yet. Has anyone decided against purchasing the game after playing the demo?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @raddevon said:
    " I'm guessing the demo doesn't contain any of the game's RTS elements. "
    Yeah, the RTS stuff is what I'm sort of concerned about. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of it, but I definitely don't really like what I've seen so far. I was much more enthused about this game when I thought it was just Tim Schafer's God of War clone starring Jack Black.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.