Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brütal Legend

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Brütal Legend is a humorous heavy-metal, open-world, action-adventure game with light real-time strategy elements. As Eddie Riggs, lead the people of the Brütal World to rise up against the Tainted Coil demons who rule the world, and their leader, the sinister Emperor Doviculus.

Did you agree with Ryan's Brutal Legend review?

• 109 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

Not trying to flame bait  or troll in any way. I just want to see what the GB community thought of Ryan's review of the game. Abviously it's for people who played the game (which excludes me). If you can then please try to keep your posts spoiler free but don't be too revealing if you can't avoid them.    

P.S - I know I could I have made it into a poll but I really didn't want to sum this discussion down  toa simple Yes or No, Or Maybe...NEVER! 
    Ahhhh that will never get old.     

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By turbomonkey138

Yea i do and i am glad they criticized it . That is what makes this video game website stand out and why i keep coming back .

MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MetalR

Yes, the game isn't good at all.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RsistncE

Nope not at all. One of the best games I've played so far this year and really in the past few years. Noticed above posters didn't bother to rationalize their reasons so I won't either. Ask if you want clarification.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jerr

I think its subjective to the person playing it. I'm one of those people who can get so wrapped up in a world and atmosphere that sometimes i ignore the shortcomings and just think everythings awesome. Thats happening with BL. However I dont disagree with the review, its all accurate, and all the information is fact. Like I said, the only way you can know is to try it out, but don't rule it out because of the review. 

Ps. having a love of metal and humour in games would make me biased, ill admit

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I haven't played the game yet, but I hardly ever completely agree with any review. It's someone else's opinion, and I know my opinion won't match up with theirs exactly.

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By THE_END

THE_END hands a flame shield to Mordukai.  

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JokerClown88

Do I doubt the Davis?...NEVER!!!
    SolidestChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidestChimp

i played the game and i  like it but its not worth 40 pound on the same day when i can get uncharted 2 ( gotta pay rent and eat this week so cant buy both xD)

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

nope.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By megalowho

I've put about 6 hours into the game so far. I really enjoy it even if the RTS battles are indeed all over the place and a bit unwieldy in spots. Don't get me wrong, they are still a lot of fun, but some odd control decisions and a few nagging issues do stick out. Open world/hack and slash stuff fares better. Plus the atmosphere, story/mythology, exploring the world, music and presentation are exceptional and worth the price of admission alone.

I guess I agree with his negative points but it hasn't hindered my enjoyment of the game nearly as much as it did for him so far, and I feel the areas where Brutal Legend shines are so unique and excellent that it makes up for it by a good amount.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai
    @RsistncE said:
    " Nope not at all. One of the best games I've played so far this year and really in the past few years. Noticed above posters didn't bother to rationalize their reasons so I won't either. Ask if you want clarification. "
    Please do rationalize your opinions. Thats why I didn't make it into a simple Yes or No poll. Just because they didn't does not mean you have to follow them. 
    TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By TimeWaffle

I completely disagree with the review I find the game is a lot better if you play it as a third person action game with some light strategy than an RTS where you use your character very little

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai
    @THE_END said:
    " THE_END hands a flame shield to Mordukai.   "
    Thanks. 
    realfunfuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By realfunfuneral

I thought it was a bit too harsh a score. I'd say it's easily worth 4 stars. It's a light, fun, and made with so much love for the subject matter that it doesn't need much else. The little touches, comedy timing, and overall style make it much more interesting than most games out there. Anyone who likes Schafer's humour or metal even a little bit should find it enjoyable enough to play, and I don't regret the purchase.

MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MetalR
    @THE_END said:
    Thanks! He probably needs one.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By VWGTI

Ryan did a great job reviewing the game. He explained what the game offered and why some of it didn't work so well. It saved a guy like me, someone who spends tons of money on games, some cash so I could put that towards more deserving games.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MetalR said:
    " @THE_END said:
    Thanks! He probably needs one. "
    Bro, I carry mine all the time
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cstrang

I agree with Ryan's review to a certain extent.  I feel 3/5 is a bit harsh, but everything he says (except game length) is true.  The game isn't particularly challenging on normal, so you can forgo the secondary missions in lieu of getting fire tributes for better stuff.  The secondary missions do get repetitive very quickly.  Although they have a few unique missions in there, the secondaries are largely "ambush", "mortar", or "defend" missions.  The RTS style stuff is unexpected and kinda wonky, the hack-and-slash stuff isn't fleshed out, and the driving can be unexpectedly unwieldy at times.  While the in-game free roam world is large and without "STOP and load" times, there is a TON of pop-up and rendering at close distances while driving.

I did everything in the single-player game.  EVERYTHING.  It took me about 15 hours or so.

Short-comings aside, the game has a huge amount of "i don't know what" that makes it better.  The humor, the art style, the story, mixed with the polish that shines in certain places makes things a little better, but Tim Shafer will forever be a great writer/director, but maybe not the best designer.

MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MetalR
    @addictedtopinescent said:
    " @MetalR said:
    " @THE_END said:
    Bro, I carry mine all the time "
    I'm going to test mine now.

Hey dudes,

FLAMESHIELD ON

Brutal Legend sucks, IMO 

Goodbye.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai
    @MetalR said:
    " @THE_END said:
    NAA, I am good. I am jewish, I am used to my people being persecuted. Thousands of years of persecution have conditioned me very well.  Though I appreciate the gesture very much and I will most definitely use it. ;)
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " why i keep coming back . "
    plz dont eva leave us :(
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#23  Edited By MachoFantastico

I haven't played it but a mate of mine as and it sounds like the review was on the mark. He hasn't been to impressed. 

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Scooper

It doesn't matter if anyone agrees with Ryan's opinion on this game. People shouldn't discuss reviews. Just read them and decide for yourself if it matters.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blair
    @Scooper said:
    " It doesn't matter if anyone agrees with Ryan's opinion on this game. People shouldn't discuss reviews. Just read them and decide for yourself if it matters. "
    Exactly.

Write a user review if you have something insightful to say.
    KidStardust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KidStardust

Reviews themselves are subjective to a persons taste, I felt a 3/5 may have been a little harsh, but Davis is entitled to his opinion.  Hell, it is his job to have one.  While the game play isn't perfect, it is still a lot of fun.  The atmosphere and the humor helped me over look the gameplay flaws.  Almost every thing you do in the game is either hilarious or just gives you a moment of "Holy Shit! That was bad ass did I really just call a flaming zeppelin down on my opponents?!?!?!?!?!"  I am not an RTS fan, but I found the stage battles a lot of fun.  Again, this is all just my opinion, everyone's entitled to their own.  I had a great time with it and will probably dick around with it a bunch more.  I reccomend you check the game out and see how you like it for yourself, try renting it if you're unsure.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mordukai
    @Scooper said:
    " It doesn't matter if anyone agrees with Ryan's opinion on this game. People shouldn't discuss reviews. Just read them and decide for yourself if it matters. "
     Are reviews taboo now so we can't have a talk about them anymore? 
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

After playing a decent chunk of the game, I can definitely see a person giving this game either three or four stars depending on things like their gaming genre preferences and reverence for Tim Schafer and heavy metal.

The good thing about GB is that Ryan was able to just simply express his feelings about the game without having to take into consideration how others might perceive his rating. He gave Brutal Legend the rating that he felt it earned based on his play experience and provided a nice concise review to justify that score. I fully support Ryan's review of Brutal Legend, and I'll go ahead and go on record now that I approve of all past and future reviews on GB as well. If anyone has a problem with it, I strongly suggest that you read the GB FAQ, and then if you decide that you don't like the rating/review system, you're free to leave GB or just stop reading the reviews.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sixghost
    @Blair said:
    " @Scooper said:
    Exactly.  Write a user review if you have something insightful to say. "

Did it occur to you that some people might find it more helpful if people directly refute some of the review's points without having to write an entire user review?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scooper
    @Mordukai said:
    " @Scooper said:
     Are reviews taboo now so we can't have a talk about them anymore?  "
    We can but really, what is the point. It isn't worth dozens of people discussing Ryan's opinion on a game. There are better things to talk about and debate then this.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By TheHBK
    @RsistncE: You didn't justify your statements either.

Yes, totally agree.  I am just so surprised, but I shouldn't be, at how people are screaming and saying, no Ryan is fucking wrong.  He hit the nail on the head.  Its a game that is worth at least checking out, if not for the humor.  But humor a good game it does not make.  It seems like a lot of people came out and were all against the review because they bought into the hype.
    I am hyped up for Forza but had Jeff come out and said the game was janky, then I would not even give myself to it so quickly and would try it first, which is what Ryan is saying.  Sorry but all of you people who love Tim Schaefer need to realize this fool cannot make world changing games or perfect ones either.
    Brutal Legend, Forza and Uncharted 2 are beautiful games to look at and hear, for humor or story or just car sounds.  But the latter 2 have gameplay to match.  Just because you enjoy the experience, doesn't mean the game is good.  I thought the cutscenes were great, funny.  But when you got back in control oh man oh man.  The game starts to fall apart, and even more so as you go along.  glad i rented.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai
    @Scooper said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " @Scooper said:
    We can but really, what is the point. It isn't worth dozens of people discussing Ryan's opinion on a game. There are better things to talk about and debate then this. "
    So why do we even have reviews (not just for games) from professional reviewers if we can't discuss their opinion of the game. Everyone has an  opinion but not every gets paid for theirs and have access to have their opinion reach millions of people and make an impact on whether or not said product is worth your money and time.
    MuzykMann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MuzykMann

I find it helps to pay attention to a single site's or reviewer's history and find one that seems to share opinions with you about games. For example, as much as I enjoy GB, I find that Brad's reviews seem to line up with how I feel about games more frequently than Jeff's or Ryan's. That doesn't mean one reviewer is better, or more accurate, just that we have similar taste in games and therefore his reviews have more sway in which games I'll try and which I wont.

And for the record, I haven't had much time to play it yet, but I'm loving what I've seen of Brutal Legend so far.

PsychedelicET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By PsychedelicET

I think people had too high expectations for the game, including Ryan.  The Tim Schaefer name carries a lot of weight, and everyone wanted this to be his mass-market-hit game, which it's probably not.  But it's not bad either by any means, and is worth $60 more than other 3/5 star games that Ryan has reviewed like "SAW" and "Terminator: Salvation", in my opinion.

I feel that is a limitation of the 5 star system, where there are only 5 categories a game could fall into.  I my opinion, compared to other games out there, it definitely deserves 4/5 stars.  That, or SAW and Terminator Salvation deserve 2/5.  All that said, it's just a video game review - which, despite the illusions the professional gaming media like to portray, is always personal opinion.  I've yet to read a gaming journalist I thought was actually subjective.  Their personal tastes always influence the review.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scooper
    @Mordukai said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " @Scooper said:
    We can but really, what is the point. It isn't worth dozens of people discussing Ryan's opinion on a game. There are better things to talk about and debate then this. "
    So why do we even have reviews (not just for games) from professional reviewers if we can't discuss their opinion of the game. Everyone has an  opinion but not every gets paid for theirs and have access to have their opinion reach millions of people and make an impact on whether or not said product is worth your money and time. "
    We have reviews from professional reviewers so people can read them and decide wether or not to purchase a game. I regard Ryan's opinion more then some random dude because Ryan's been doing it for years and has a reputation for good reviews but in the end it still is an opinion from a single person no matter how high the pedigree so in the end it doesn't benefit anyone to discuss a professional review. People will still do it (evidence of this thread) but in the end the review is for personal reading and reflection not for people to argue about, unless people want to argue the facts of the review, that fine and a reviewer will gladly aknowledge that and change the review if it's needed. Sure it's great for people to actualy discuss the game of it's flaws and shines but for many people to discuss a single review? I don't need to do that. You guys can if you like, though but it doesn't really achieve anything.

Ps. I know I said "in the end" alot
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By dbz1995
    @Mordukai said:
    " @MetalR said:
    " @THE_END said:
    NAA, I am good. I am jewish, I am used to my people being persecuted. Thousands of years of persecution have conditioned me very well.  Though I appreciate the gesture very much and I will most definitely use it. ;) "
    I actually apologise for any future and recent persecution anybody has done to Jewish people. Most of my friends despise Jewish people for reasons that they never fully confirm. So I am truly sorry for anything hurtful anybody has done to you just because of your religion-it isn't just.

Anyway, back on topic, I was surprised-mainly due to the fact that the game looked so great and people had said so-but I trust Ryan's judgement and know he would not give something a lower score than what it should have.
    Malchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Malchom

Here is the 3 star rating explanation in the site FAQ

"The halfway point. An inherent appreciation of this game's specific gameplay style, characters, subject matter, and so on may play as big a role in your enjoyment as the actual quality of the game."

Considering this, I agree with Ryan's review.

Remember that GB's ratings have some nuances and 3 stars does not mean "this game is bad" nor does it mean that it's "an average game"... not to me anyway...

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By TheHBK
    @PsychedelicET said:
    " I think people had too high expectations for the game, including Ryan.  The Tim Schaefer name carries a lot of weight, and everyone wanted this to be his mass-market-hit game, which it's probably not.  But it's not bad either by any means, and is worth $60 more than other 3/5 star games that Ryan has reviewed like "SAW" and "Terminator: Salvation", in my opinion.   I feel that is a limitation of the 5 star system, where there are only 5 categories a game could fall into.  I my opinion, compared to other games out there, it definitely deserves 4/5 stars.  That, or SAW and Terminator Salvation deserve 2/5.  All that said, it's just a video game review - which, despite the illusions the professional gaming media like to portray, is always personal opinion.  I've yet to read a gaming journalist I thought was actually subjective.  Their personal tastes always influence the review. "
    I had my doubts about the 5 star system but anything more only serves to fuel arguments about which game is better and stuff like that.  I broke it down into my own way of seeing a five star system and really, i think 4 stars could work too.
    1 star - game is fucked up and all copies should be burned.  Think Superman 64 and Big Rigs.  Maybe Shaq Fu?
    2 stars - game sucks balls and is only 2 stars because you can actually play it and get something out of it.  Licensed games fall here for the most part
    3 stars - game with good qualities that some will like to play but not buy
    4 stars - might be a buy but at least a playthrough is deserved
    5 stars - you need to play it and possibly buy it if you will keep it.

So i dont see where we need more numbers, we just need to know if the game is good, will i enjoy and should i buy it.
    The 1 and 2 stars serve the same purpose, dont buy this fucking game.  This usually is for games with scores of 5 or lower.  a 6.5-7.5 can usually fall into the 3 stars while 7.5-8.5 is a 4 star and 5 stars is good for 8.5-10.  We dont really need a perfect 10 game score because only a few will ever really deserve it.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39  Edited By wefwefasdf
    I found this on the FAQ page of the website...

While we don't believe any game is perfect, we recommend this game without reservation.

Still very good and easy to recommend, though it doesn't quite live up to its full potential.

The halfway point. An inherent appreciation of this game's specific gameplay style, characters, subject matter, and so on may play as big a role in your enjoyment as the actual quality of the game.

This game's problems outweigh its good qualities.

This game will make you wish you had died in a fire moments before turning it on. 

There is no need to compare the five star system and the 10 point system. It will on confuse and annoy.

MuzykMann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MuzykMann
    @Scooper: I think discussing personal opinions vs opinions in a review is infinitely more valuable to the community than repeatedly arguing that people shouldn't discuss their take on a review. What exactly are YOU hoping to achieve by telling others they shouldn't be discussing a review?
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ch13696

Do I agree with his opinion? Of course. There shouldn't be so many gameplay elements in one game.
    Do I agree with the review score? I sure don't. I think that he abused the scoring system. 5 stars. Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, Replay, and uummm I can't think of the last one. Anyways, he only mentioned one thing wrong and that was the gameplay.

In the end this is also his site. So he can do what he wants. I learned that the hard way.

Oh and one last thing. ITS A FUCKIN REVIEW. WHO THE FUCK PAYS ATTENTION TO A FUCKIN REVIEW. YEAH, FLAG THIS SHIT. I DON'T CARE. ONLY A FUCKIN FUCK-NUGGET WHINES ABOUT A FUCKIN REVIEW. SO ALL YOU FUCKIN BULL SHITTERS CAN KISS MY HAIRY WHITE ASS.

chedy out.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Scooper
    @MuzykMann: I stated what I thought and then got replied to so I answered the question and then got replied to that so answered that. I would of gladly left it at 1 message but if people respond to me I'll respond back :p
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TwoOneFive

RTS 

yup. deserved that score. i hate rts games

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ryan  Staff

I think that review was awesome, and totally on the money. I give Ryan's three-star review of Brutal Legend... FIVE STARS!!!!!!!

No Caption Provided
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Mordukai said:
    " @MetalR said:
    " @THE_END said:
    NAA, I am good. I am jewish, I am used to my people being persecuted. Thousands of years of persecution have conditioned me very well.  Though I appreciate the gesture very much and I will most definitely use it. ;) "
    Wow, you must be like 4000 years old. 
    eyehook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By eyehook

I think the main thing that pisses me off is that so much love went into this game, and it's getting clumped with utter dreck.  I'm loving this game so far (about 8 hours in) and I'll hold off on utter flamage until I've actually finished the game, but I hate the idea that so many people are passing on this game just because Ryan gave it 3 stars.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jimbo
    @Ryan said:
    " I think that review was awesome, and totally on the money. I give Ryan's three-star review of Brutal Legend... FIVE STARS!!!!!!!

No Caption Provided
    "
    Eh, your review of your review could have been better.  Four stars.

No Caption Provided
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By VWGTI
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " @MetalR said:
    " @THE_END said:
    Wow, you must be like 4000 years old.  "
    Aaaaaaaahahahahahaha!
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By Snail
    @Ryan: Haha, well played sir.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.