Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brütal Legend

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Brütal Legend is a humorous heavy-metal, open-world, action-adventure game with light real-time strategy elements. As Eddie Riggs, lead the people of the Brütal World to rise up against the Tainted Coil demons who rule the world, and their leader, the sinister Emperor Doviculus.

Should hating heavy metal stop be from buying the game?

• 89 results
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

I hate Heavy Metal. Period. No argument, it is just the way I am. Anyway....

Do you think it should stop be from buying the game? from what I have played I have really liked it but the whole Heavy Metal thing turns me off it, what would you do?

PS: I know I said this game was repetitive but it is too early to judge. This game will be GOTY (maybe :P).

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheGremp

Well, if you hate Heavy Metal music, then that's not a huge deal.  If you hate heavy metal culture, it would probably turn you off, seeing as the entire visual style and script is based on the genre.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Captain_Insano

do you hate all metal/rock or do you hate death metal (i.e screaming metal etc)? I don't know if it would RUIN the game but obviously liking metal would enhance your enjoyment of it. Although the heavy metalness is a big selling factor for me personally.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yukoei
    @TheGremp said:
    " Well, if you hate Heavy Metal music, then that's not a huge deal.  If you hate heavy metal culture, it would probably turn you off, seeing as the entire visual style and script is based on the genre. "
    I like the demons/skulls and stuff but I hate the music.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yukoei
    @Captain_Insano said:
    " do you hate all metal/rock or do you hate death metal (i.e screaming metal etc)? I don't know if it would RUIN the game but obviously liking metal would enhance your enjoyment of it. Although the heavy metalness is a big selling factor for me personally. "
    Haha. Shows how much my generation knows about rock. Anyway I mean the death metal, but to my shame I thought that the screaming and stuff was Heavy Metal....damn...I am an Epic Fail :(
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By empfeix

I'm sure you will still enjoy it, unless you absolutely hate it with every inch of your body.  With all the other sound effects and visual sensories going, I doubt the background music is going to pose to much of a problem (aside from maybe some cut scenes)

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By demonbear
    @Yukoei said:
    " I hate Heavy Metal. "
    Wuss, get outta my internets! .....

METAL!!!!
    Grim_Fandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Grim_Fandango

If you don't enjoy heavy metal, try Light Metal! 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzfINsCcVY&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=186C1151D9444473

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Captain_Insano
    @Yukoei: Then heavy metal should not be too much of an issue. Go to youtube and look up songs like Black Sabbath - Iron Man or Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name. These songs are heavy metal and do have heavy riifs and music, but the singers generally offer a good vocal range and actually sing so that you can understand what they are saying. 

I'm not trying to convert you to metal, but to give you an idea of how heavy metal is different to death metal
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Shadow

I hate metal too.  I just hate the whole attitude and I honestly don't consider most of it to be music (it's all screaming and going as fast as possible on a guitar with little to no rhythm).  The fact that the game doesn't even come close to taking it seriously though, makes it really awesome.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Jerr
    @Shadow said:
    " I hate metal too.  I just hate the whole attitude and I honestly don't consider most of it to be music (it's all screaming and going as fast as possible on a guitar with little to no rhythm).  The fact that the game doesn't even come close to taking it seriously though, makes it really awesome. "
    You are ill-informed / trolling.
    juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By juice8367

I don't hate metal as much as the OP seems to but I don't really listen to any of it either.  But brutal legend seems to be an interesting game.  I guess you gotta appreciate the culture of it more than anything to understand the game.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shadow
    @Tallica9000 said:
    " @Shadow said:
    " I hate metal too.  I just hate the whole attitude and I honestly don't consider most of it to be music (it's all screaming and going as fast as possible on a guitar with little to no rhythm).  The fact that the game doesn't even come close to taking it seriously though, makes it really awesome. "
    You are ill-informed / trolling. "
    I like Operation Ground and Pound by Dragonforce.  I can enjoy that sort of thing, but most of metal is utter shit to me.  I recently posed this opinion to a friend of mine who is way into metal.  He showed me Prequel to the Sequel in an attempt to curb my opinion about the genre of music......THAT 'SONG' IS FUCKING TERRIBLE
    Anilones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Anilones
    @Shadow said:
    The screaming is  genre specific, there are countless metal bands who do not scream. Also to say that they have no rhythm is absolute ignorance. Just because they do not follow a simple 4:4 time scale they have rhythm.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shadow
    @Anilones said:
    " @Shadow said:
    The screaming is  genre specific, there are countless metal bands who do not scream. Also to say that they have no rhythm is absolute ignorance. Just because they do not follow a simple 4:4 time scale they have rhythm. "
    Noise != Rhythm
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Shadow said:
    " @Anilones said:
    " @Shadow said:
    The screaming is  genre specific, there are countless metal bands who do not scream. Also to say that they have no rhythm is absolute ignorance. Just because they do not follow a simple 4:4 time scale they have rhythm. "
    Noise != Rhythm "
    I was like you once, 5 years ago, and now im a metalhead all the way... and i KNOW that convincing my stubborn ass was pretty much impossible, so i wont argue with you, but metal music has tempo and rhythm and diversity in the lyrics and mad guitar playing and the vocals vary ALOT... its the fault of the post-2000 "metal" cunts who give the genre a bad image ...
    Emarosa420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Emarosa420

Well, I don't listen to any hiphop and DJ hero is looking mad spiffy for me. 
    I don't think you're gonna have much of a problem once you start playing the game and getting into the story / gameplay.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By calidan777
    @demonbear said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " I hate Heavy Metal. "
    Wuss, get outta my internets! .....  METAL!!!! "
    This.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mordukai

Trapped in purgatory
    A lifeless object, alive
    Awaiting reprisal
    Death will be their acquisition

The sky is turning red
    Return to power draws near
    Fall into me, the skys crimson tears
    Abolish the rules made of stone

Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past
    Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

Awaiting the hour of reprisal
    Your time slips away

Raining blood
    From a lacerated sky
    Bleeding its horror
    Creating my structure
    Now I shall reign in blood!    

dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dopeman
    @Emarosa420: but do you hate Rap/Hip-Hop with a passion.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By guiseppe

I think it might detract from your experience. But how much or how little I have no idea.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai
    @Yukoei:  
    Solution: Rent the fucking game and if you like it buy and if you don't like it don't buy it. Problem solved. 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JJOR64

I'm the opposite.  I love heavy metal (or metal in general) but, the game seems to repetitive for me.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Mordukai said:
    "

Trapped in purgatory
    A lifeless object, alive
    Awaiting reprisal
    Death will be their acquisition

The sky is turning red
    Return to power draws near
    Fall into me, the skys crimson tears
    Abolish the rules made of stone

Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past
    Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

Awaiting the hour of reprisal
    Your time slips away

Raining blood
    From a lacerated sky
    Bleeding its horror
    Creating my structure
    Now I shall reign in blood!    

"
    Thanks.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zabant

MUSIC SNOBS AND PEOPLE WHO BASE THEIR ENTIRE KNOWLEDGE OF A GENRE ON TIRED STEREOTYPES AHOY!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By JJWeatherman

I think anyone can enjoy the game. There doesn't seem to be anything detracting from my enjoyment or anticipation and I don't love metal either.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By demonbear
    @Mordukai said:
    " @Yukoei:  Solution: Rent the fucking game and if you like it buy and if you don't like it don't buy it. Problem solved.  "
    What the hell are you doing? Telling the logical solution to someone, on the internet? on a forum???? WHATS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shadow
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Shadow said:
    " @Anilones said:
    " @Shadow said:
    Noise != Rhythm "
    I was like you once, 5 years ago, and now im a metalhead all the way... and i KNOW that convincing my stubborn ass was pretty much impossible, so i wont argue with you, but metal music has tempo and rhythm and diversity in the lyrics and mad guitar playing and the vocals vary ALOT... its the fault of the post-2000 "metal" cunts who give the genre a bad image ... "
    I think we're getting too far from the main point here.  You can defend metal music all you want, but that won't change the fact that it's my opinion.  That opinion just happens to be that the genre in general is crap.  Brutal Legend however, is awesome and you should buy it even if you're like me and hate everything about that specific type of music.
    Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shady
    @Shadow said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Shadow said:
    " @Anilones said:
    " @Shadow said:
    Noise != Rhythm "
    I was like you once, 5 years ago, and now im a metalhead all the way... and i KNOW that convincing my stubborn ass was pretty much impossible, so i wont argue with you, but metal music has tempo and rhythm and diversity in the lyrics and mad guitar playing and the vocals vary ALOT... its the fault of the post-2000 "metal" cunts who give the genre a bad image ... "
    I think we're getting too far from the main point here.  You can defend metal music all you want, but that won't change the fact that it's my opinion.  That opinion just happens to be that the genre in general is crap.  Brutal Legend however, is awesome and you should buy it even if you're like me and hate everything about that specific type of music. "
    The problem is your generalizing an entire genre based on stereotypes and a poor selection of examples. It's the same type of argument people use against rap, country, pop, whatever. There's nothing wrong with having particular tastes. However, dismissing a genre of music based on little to no knowledge of said genre is stupid.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60
    @Shadow said:

Yup all screaming with no rhythm and going fast as possible here..."sigh" people are so ignorant towards metal.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Shadow
    @CL60 said:

" @Shadow said:

Yup all screaming with no rhythm and going fast as possible here..."sigh" people are so ignorant towards metal. "
    I said most, not all.  However, liked that song until 47 seconds in
    marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32  Edited By marlow83

Yes.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Branthog

Hating heavy metal should stop you from breathing!

Of course, that might generally be considered an extreme and rather excessive statement.

I'm not a huge fan of metal, but I like some of it. Not real big on death metal or trash metal or anything. Saying Metal is just "screaming and going real fast on a guitar" is ridiculous, though. First, metal has a vast swath of genres and sub-genres. Second, some of the most amazing lyrics are found in the metal genre (and some of the stupidest). Some of the guitar work is astonishing.

There is a TON of absolute crap in metal, just like there is in hard rock, classic rock, rap, pop and other music. To dismiss, say, Alice Cooper, Dio, Black Label Society, Iron Maiden and others by classifying the entire genre that way is just ignorant.

I can't stand country music, but I can acknowledge that it is a genre filled with some clever lyrical work, good story telling, and some really great artists (maybe not so much these days as earlier on, but still). And we could just as easily dismiss all the current rock and punk music as "a bunch of sound-alike high pitched whiny bitch-boys singing about not getting enough hugs as a toddler". But that'd be kind of an ignorant dick move now, wouldn't it?

And just listen to the terrible attitude of these "metal" guys! What jerks!

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By metal_mills
    @Shadow said:
    " @CL60 said:

" @Shadow said:

Yup all screaming with no rhythm and going fast as possible here..."sigh" people are so ignorant towards metal. "
    I said most, not all.  However, liked that song until 47 seconds in "

Yeah...no, not at all. What shit are you listening to thats just screaming and fast guitar with no rythem? New death metal crap? Fuck that, that's not what metal is about it's a tiny part of it.

Check out: 

Motorhead 
    Dio 
    Iron Maiden 
    Death Angel 
    Manowar 
    Judas Priest 
    Saxon 
    W.A.S.P 
    Accept 

Plus there are dozens more awesome bands out there that aren't anything like what you think metal is.
    Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Captain_Insano

It amuses me how some people make such glaring and definitive statements and then defend it by saying 'oh but I'm entitled to my opinion'.
    Of course you are entitled to your opinion but you also need to be informed and base your opinion on facts. By saying 'all/most metal is screaming and is just fast' and then saying 'oh but thats my opinion' is the same as saying 'all video games are sex, violence and damage children, but that's my opinion'.

I'm not referring to the guy who created this topic, but some people just shit me. Have your opinions, don't like metal, but don't be so definitive as to what metal actually is because of your limited understanding.

Fleafa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fleafa

Opeth

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Branthog
    @Captain_Insano said:
    " It amuses me how some people make such glaring and definitive statements and then defend it by saying 'oh but I'm entitled to my opinion'. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but you also need to be informed and base your opinion on facts. By saying 'all/most metal is screaming and is just fast' and then saying 'oh but thats my opinion' is the same as saying 'all video games are sex, violence and damage children, but that's my opinion'.  I'm not referring to the guy who created this topic, but some people just shit me. Have your opinions, don't like metal, but don't be so definitive as to what metal actually is because of your limited understanding. "
    And along that line . . . Shitting all over someone's musical taste is generally bad form. Who am I to decide what motivates or moves another person or to say that they must be stirred by the same type of sounds that I am? It's the same kind of crappy attitude that also had our parents telling us that Twisted Sister and Ice-T were crap and all we listened to was this fast loud garbage that nobody could understand the lyrics to and that "isn't music" and then us telling kids today that their music sucks and they don't have any clue what good music is.  On that point, part of growing old is also "not getting the music kids listen to these days" and disliking 90% of what your parents listen to is part of being young. 

Hell, I can't stand most pop, country, and nu-metal, deth-metal, etc . . . but who am I to judge someone who is profoundly moved by a certain genre or artist? *shrug*
    Fleafa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fleafa
    @Branthog said:
    " @Captain_Insano said:
    " It amuses me how some people make such glaring and definitive statements and then defend it by saying 'oh but I'm entitled to my opinion'. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but you also need to be informed and base your opinion on facts. By saying 'all/most metal is screaming and is just fast' and then saying 'oh but thats my opinion' is the same as saying 'all video games are sex, violence and damage children, but that's my opinion'.  I'm not referring to the guy who created this topic, but some people just shit me. Have your opinions, don't like metal, but don't be so definitive as to what metal actually is because of your limited understanding. "
    And along that line . . . Shitting all over someone's musical taste is generally bad form. Who am I to decide what motivates or moves another person or to say that they must be stirred by the same type of sounds that I am? It's the same kind of crappy attitude that also had our parents telling us that Twisted Sister and Ice-T were crap and all we listened to was this fast loud garbage that nobody could understand the lyrics to and that "isn't music" and then us telling kids today that their music sucks and they don't have any clue what good music is.  On that point, part of growing old is also "not getting the music kids listen to these days" and disliking 90% of what your parents listen to is part of being young.   Hell, I can't stand most pop, country, and nu-metal, deth-metal, etc . . . but who am I to judge someone who is profoundly moved by a certain genre or artist? *shrug* "
    If only more people thought this way about more aspects of life.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By natetodamax

I'm surprised Bucketdeth hasn't entered this thread to tell us why metal is the best genre of music. I used to listen to metal, but now I'm over it.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By thebeast

A whole thread on "heavy metal" and only a single mention of Black Sabbath?!  
    Although saying that, I generally dislike putting music in to genres - dismissing a whole genre because you've heard something that someone categorised as "heavy metal" at some point in the last 50 years seems a bit strange - judge a performer/band individually, rather than through such an abstract concept.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't judge a man untill you've walked a thousand miles in his boots. :>

Also, as long as you're fine with the actual things surrounding metal the game would probably fit you. Schafer have a tendency of making things hilarious regardless whether you have a firsthand experience or not on the subject.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CL60
    @Shadow said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Shadow said:

I said most, not all.  However, liked that song until 47 seconds in "
    Most? I don't think so, you are thinking of a different type of metal, not heavy metal.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mordukai
    @demonbear said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " @Yukoei:  Solution: Rent the fucking game and if you like it buy and if you don't like it don't buy it. Problem solved.  "
    What the hell are you doing? Telling the logical solution to someone, on the internet? on a forum???? WHATS WRONG WITH YOU!!!! "
    opps. WHat was I thinking! logical solution on the internet...I don't think that even exists. 
    Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dirty_Harry

Sabbath all the way...

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Branthog said:
    " @Captain_Insano said:
    And along that line . . . Shitting all over someone's musical taste is generally bad form. Who am I to decide what motivates or moves another person or to say that they must be stirred by the same type of sounds that I am? It's the same kind of crappy attitude that also had our parents telling us that Twisted Sister and Ice-T were crap and all we listened to was this fast loud garbage that nobody could understand the lyrics to and that "isn't music" and then us telling kids today that their music sucks and they don't have any clue what good music is.  On that point, part of growing old is also "not getting the music kids listen to these days" and disliking 90% of what your parents listen to is part of being young.   Hell, I can't stand most pop, country, and nu-metal, deth-metal, etc . . . but who am I to judge someone who is profoundly moved by a certain genre or artist? *shrug* "
    I hate doing this, but I have to QFT
    nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By nrain

Well this game is basically a present to metalheads so mabe you could give it a miss. However just like the film School of Rock which had loads of nods to rock lovers still was a fantastically approachable film, so this could be the same sort of thing. Once again the logical conclusion is to rent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60 said:
    " @Shadow said:

A fucking men CL60, and I'm always getting jumped by like 3 guys on the forums for trying to defend metal, everyone thinks it's sing about murdering babies with the deepest and most brutal vocals you can have, while having a D tuned heavily distorted guitar.
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SonicFire

I'm a huge metal fan, but I think the Brutal Legend selection steers way more towards "classic" metal, instead of some of the more modern, screamy variety. I'm tend to prefer the scandinavian brand, so even I'm curious as to whether I'm going to like the music.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax said:
    " I'm surprised Bucketdeth hasn't entered this thread to tell us why metal is the best genre of music. I used to listen to metal, but now I'm over it. "
    Lol, see what I meen. 
    I like metal a lot, I think it's fucking awesome, I grew up with it and it has gotten me through and out of a ton of shit, now saying that I may be a little biased but I love all kinds of music such as Jazz, Blues and especially Classical and the only reason I get so pissed off is because it's usually about 3 guys telling me why all metalheads are assholes who think there music is the best and if you don't like it your a idiot, well thats completely wrong, I know you like Queens Of the Stone Age and I think they are a great band, I don't like them or the singer but I know there are people out there who would kill for them and think there music is god, and maybe that is you.  

So I guess we all like our music and maybe a little more then others and thats just what human nature is, to defend what you love, in my case, Metal.
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DrFidget

2 words: Custom. Soundtracks. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.