Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brütal Legend

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Brütal Legend is a humorous heavy-metal, open-world, action-adventure game with light real-time strategy elements. As Eddie Riggs, lead the people of the Brütal World to rise up against the Tainted Coil demons who rule the world, and their leader, the sinister Emperor Doviculus.

This game isn't 4 hours at all...

• 70 results
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

The game is NOT 4 hours long, I honestly don't know hoe Ryan could have done that unless he was playing on easy and rushed as fast as he could.
     I've been playing for 4 hours so farand have just about hit half way(according to the achievements) on the main story. The reason Ryan says the single player acts like a tutorial is because it slowly introduces all the functions that are in the multiplayer but it's no way a basic tutorial. I've also barely done any side quests and to show you how many collectible things there are 18 different things to collect and unlock, some of them with over 100 to get. I'm only 28% complete. And I'm keen on trying out the multiplayer after getting a taste of the RTS bit.

Just to let you know, play this game on Brutal. The games easy and playing on Brutal will give you a much better experience.

This game isn't perfect and could be longer but I'm expecting at least 8-10 hours and that's before jumping online...so...yeah.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Elazul

Good to hear. I've read four reviews so far and NONE of them have actually said how long the game is, only that it's "short".

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My game should be here very soon, I'll take your advice, I hope Brutal mode isn't some insane mode I won't even get pasted the tutorial on.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

He did say strictly going through the main story.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By metal_mills
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " My game should be here very soon, I'll take your advice, I hope Brutal mode isn't some insane mode I won't even get pasted the tutorial on. "
    No. I normally play on normal and Brutal is basically normal, just watch out for the big fist dudes, they hit hard. You can change difficulty at anytime though.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Chokobo

My playtime was 5 hours and 7 minutes start to finish.  Also, it felt like the story ended right before the climax.  The fact that you don't get to use all your units until 75% of the way through the game really made the story mode feel like half of a game.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

Thanks, Metal_Mills. I believe your completely unsubstantiated opinion over that of several video game critics.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By metal_mills
    @HandsomeDead said:

" Thanks, Metal_Mills. I believe your completely unsubstantiated opinion over that of several video game critics. "

Actually, other websites say 6-12 hours for the main game so yeah, there actually in agreeance with me. Only GB said 4 hours.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

" Thanks, Metal_Mills. I believe your completely unsubstantiated opinion over that of several video game critics. "

Actually, other websites say 6-12 hours for the main game so yeah, there actually in agreeance with me. Only GB said 4 hours. "
    Did others say 6-12 hours if you stick strictly to the single player missions and ignore the side quests etc?
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chokobo

This game is not 12 hours long if you stick to single player missions.  Impossible unless you are really, really bad at the game and are a supreme masochist.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By metal_mills
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

Actually, other websites say 6-12 hours for the main game so yeah, there actually in agreeance with me. Only GB said 4 hours. "
    Did others say 6-12 hours if you stick strictly to the single player missions and ignore the side quests etc? "
    Yes. They said 6-12 for the main story.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

Did others say 6-12 hours if you stick strictly to the single player missions and ignore the side quests etc? "
    Yes. They said 6-12 for the main story. "
    Link, please.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chokobo

The four hour estimate is fairly accurate for the single player, I'd say.  Re-evaluating the time I spent playing the game, I probably spent an hour or so playing side missions.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By metal_mills
    @HandsomeDead said:

" @Metal_Mills said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

Link, please. "
    Gametrailers for one. They say 8-10 hours. There were a couple others too. The point I'm making is a lot of people are going "OMG 4 HOURS FORGET IT" when it's not 4 hours and even if it was, that's the core story, not the rest. There acting like it's a linear point A to point B style of game.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chokobo

The thing is is that there is little to no incentive to go do the side story missions.  Especially when they all are so derivative and dull and the story is by far the most fun thing to play.  Ryan saying that it'll take 4 hours to do the story missions is accurate.  That's all that most people are going to play and that's all that most people are going to care about.   If more than half of your gameplay time is spent doing side missions, there is probably not enough story.

I mean, the only game I bought for the side missions was Saints Row 2.  and even then it was because there was so much variety and ridiculousness that it was refreshing to play them.  The side missions in Brutal legend are very dull and derivative and just make me want to go play the story mode.

callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By callumbay

I was a bit surprised when it said that on the review, since on the Gametrailers review it says that it's 8-10 hours long... can't wait to get it on Friday :)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

" @Metal_Mills said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

Link, please. "
    Gametrailers for one. They say 8-10 hours. There were a couple others too. The point I'm making is a lot of people are going "OMG 4 HOURS FORGET IT" when it's not 4 hours and even if it was, that's the core story, not the rest. There acting like it's a linear point A to point B style of game. "
    Did you even read the review? That's what Ryan was saying when he says that's sticking to the very core missions and not doing anything else. I don't even know what kind of people you're talking about but you're aware that those people are morons so right now, you're just coming across as a really petty fanboy.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Venatio

Fuck, they say its that short, damn I hope that its not true, I pre-ordered it

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chokobo
    @Venatio: If you stick to the story missions, it is true.  There is multiplayer to play after you finish the campaign, but I haven't heard of anyone being really stoked for the multiplayer yet.
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

" @Metal_Mills said:

" @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

Link, please. "
    Gametrailers for one. They say 8-10 hours. There were a couple others too. The point I'm making is a lot of people are going "OMG 4 HOURS FORGET IT" when it's not 4 hours and even if it was, that's the core story, not the rest. There acting like it's a linear point A to point B style of game. "
    Did you even read the review? That's what Ryan was saying when he says that's sticking to the very core missions and not doing anything else. I don't even know what kind of people you're talking about but you're aware that those people are morons so right now, you're just coming across as a really petty fanboy. "
    Jesus Christ Thank You! Someone that actually read the damn review! 
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By Tordah

The seemingly short length of the game is definately a big disappointment for me. I was hoping for at least a 10-12 hour long experience (not counting side missions and collecting stuff). Oh well, it still looks like an awesome game.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Red

When a review says that a game is 6-12 hours long, they might as well say that it's 1-40 hours long.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I figure that as someone who works as a video game professional with a ton of achievements, Ryan is pretty good and fast at finishing video games. 

Whenever I read about someone's time spent on a campaign, I tack on at least 50% as my expectation for how long I would need to complete the same experience.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Babble

At the rate I'm playing at (playing on Brutal, exploring the world, doing other missions, upgrading stuff etc.) I'll probably be finishing the game at the 9-10 hour range.  

The only way you would get 4 hours is if you strictly did story, played on normal or less, and basically played the game like a speed run going from point A to B, which like others have said is what Ryan has said he focused on. 

So unless you plan on playing like that then you really shouldn't worry about length.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chokobo

I played the game strictly trying to have as much fun as possible.  It took me 5 hours and 7 minutes.  The story missions were the most fun part of the game and I was super bummed that there weren't more.

Also, the end of the game comes a lot sooner than you will be anticipating.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Snipzor
    @Chokobo said:
    " I played the game strictly trying to have as much fun as possible.  It took me 5 hours and 7 minutes.  The story missions were the most fun part of the game and I was super bummed that there weren't more.  Also, the end of the game comes a lot sooner than you will be anticipating. "
    The more you talk about it, the more I have doubts about you actually playing the game.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By metal_mills
    @HandsomeDead said:

" @Metal_Mills said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

" @Metal_Mills said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

" @Metal_Mills said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

Link, please. "
    Did you even read the review? That's what Ryan was saying when he says that's sticking to the very core missions and not doing anything else. I don't even know what kind of people you're talking about but you're aware that those people are morons so right now, you're just coming across as a really petty fanboy. "
    I read the review. Funny because you didn't read my posts at all it seems. As I said when I first made this thread I was 4 hours in, just hit half way and had done 95%(5% side missions) main story. GT also claims the main story is 8-10 hours, others who rushed it claim 6 hours.  I'm now 5 hours in and still have 4 story achievements to get out of 9. That's not being a petty fanboy. I love on gaming sites if you have an opinion that different to the lord all mighty review of that site your labeled as a fanboy. 

I'm pointing out that if you finish this games main story in 4 hours, you went pretty bloody fast and thats ignoring everything else other than core story. If you say that you might as well claim Oblivion is 8 hours, Fallout 3 is 6 hours, Red Faction is 6 hours, ect. I think it's a poorly written piece in the review.
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Drebin_893

I just rented it and finished it in 4 hours and 20 minutes. 

I don't like that game.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Babble

Oh well, people will buy ODST at $60 for a 6 hour campaign, Portal for something like 4 or 5, COD 4 for 6, all great games for sure.  

But if people won't give Brutal Legend a chance just because they have heard it's short (even though people are exaggerating how short it is), then it's their own loss, I've never judged a game on length alone, Portal, a very short game, was one of the best game experiences I had played in a long while.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Venatio

I just watched the GT review and they said 8-10 hours, I sure hope thats true

yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By yeahno

All this Brutal Legend shenanigans bums me out :(

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GunnBjorn

Ouch, me and my friend are having a 'Brutal Legend' afternoon this friday... 
    Man, i so wanted this game to be good! 
    Now i feel less stoked to play the game. 
    Damn! 'sigh'.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chokobo
    @Snipzor: I played the game all the way through and was disappointed.  I think I've made that clear at this point.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By subject2change

Portal was included with The Orange Box. You didn't drop 50 bucks for Portal.

Decided to not pick up Brutal Legend, i'll wait for a price drop in the near future.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By ch13696
    @Elazul said:
    " Good to hear. I've read four reviews so far and NONE of them have actually said how long the game is, only that it's "short". "
    I'd rather them say that it's short because every ones experience differs. Just like when they said Heavenly Sword was 6 hours long. It wasn't for me. It was about 8-10 hours.
    Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Elazul
    @ch13696 said:
    " @Elazul said:
    " Good to hear. I've read four reviews so far and NONE of them have actually said how long the game is, only that it's "short". "
    I'd rather them say that it's short because every ones experience differs. Just like when they said Heavenly Sword was 6 hours long. It wasn't for me. It was about 8-10 hours. "
    Yeah, I guess. Thing is that because of the kind of game Brutal Legend is, short could pretty much mean anything under 20 hours, to me at least. I was actually pretty shocked to find out that some people were beating it in around 5-6 hours, and I really wish I had known that before I bought it.
    Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By Grimace

Who cares about the length of a game FFS.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By spacetrucking

How is the multiplayer ?  I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive.

I think Ryan's review covered the single player very well but failed to give a good idea about the multiplayer (which is honestly hard to do since no one else had the game when he reviewed it). At the core, the game is an RTS and the real value of any RTS is in the multiplayer.  To be honest, I was hoping Brutal Legend would be the game that finally breaks the RTS problem on the consoles but from the sound of most reviews, it looks like it doesn't really succeed in this regard. :(

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Milkman

Arguing about review scores! Always a good decision!

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RsistncE

I think it's a mark of greatness when opinions of the game, both from critics and gamers, are so polarized. Although the GB review surprised me, I went ahead and opened my copy up anyways and in all honesty next to Batman: AA it is the best game I've played so far this year. 

The funny thing also is this length argument. It is very possible to beat the game in under 5 hours, but the same could be said for basically every game in existence if you speedrun from point A to point B. I'm 6 hours in and I've only gotten 3 of the 9 story achievements (under the assumption that the time taken per achievement is represented by a linear function)...but this is because of the way I play the game. I've been playing it but I get sidetracked a lot in open world games (I put 40 hours into GTAIV but didn't even end up finishing it).

One last thing is that I agree with the OP on how retarded some people are being on this site. So because GB said the game is a 3/5 this is to be taken as gospel and all people decrying said gosepl should be labelled as blasphemous? Right, get real. There are many reviews for this game and the average currently sits at about a 86%. That's pretty damn good. Again, the massive disparity between how reviewers received many of the games mechanics has to be taken into account.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what a reviewer thinks if you had fun with a game.

sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sammpoo

This game is not 4 hours, it's 5 hours!! Woop dee doo it's a short linear game with nothing to do after the main quest and an online multiplayer which will be dead after a month or so. Good luck and enjoy your purchase!

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By yakov456
    @sammpoo said:
    " This game is not 4 hours, it's 5 hours!! Woop dee doo it's a short linear game with nothing to do after the main quest and an online multiplayer which will be dead after a month or so. Good luck and enjoy your purchase! "
    This sounds accurate to me.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheHBK
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " The game is NOT 4 hours long, I honestly don't know hoe Ryan could have done that unless he was playing on easy and rushed as fast as he could.
     I've been playing for 4 hours so farand have just about hit half way(according to the achievements) on the main story. The reason Ryan says the single player acts like a tutorial is because it slowly introduces all the functions that are in the multiplayer but it's no way a basic tutorial. I've also barely done any side quests and to show you how many collectible things there are 18 different things to collect and unlock, some of them with over 100 to get. I'm only 28% complete. And I'm keen on trying out the multiplayer after getting a taste of the RTS bit.  Just to let you know, play this game on Brutal. The games easy and playing on Brutal will give you a much better experience.  This game isn't perfect and could be longer but I'm expecting at least 8-10 hours and that's before jumping online...so...yeah. "
    Did you read the review?  If you blaze through the game, probably not on Brutal, it will be 4 hours long.  That makes sense.  And as you are playing burtal, you need to do some side missions to get through the game to get upgrades, he mentions this.  Yes you can pass the game on easy in 4 hours.  That is what he said.  We all know that the way you decide to play the game decides how long it is.
    @Babble:   Yeah, too bad its not as good as portal or close to it, even though the characters and art are enjoyable.  That doesn't mean it plays that well or is as fun as portal.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#45  Edited By Yummylee

Gametrailers looked to give a better roundup of its length saying its single player has around 8-10 hours content worthy. 4 hours must of been an overstatement because at that length 3 stars wouldn't even justify it that would so ridiculously short. 

I think maybe if you really sped through the story without just marveling at the enviroments, you could get through it at maybe 6 hours at most, then again i haven't played it but i'm just going by the assumption since no big-name game like this should be ''that'' short O.O
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cheapoz

If a game like this is roughly 8 hours long according to other people's casual reviews, I can imagine it's true when Ryan says it's 4 hours if you churn through single player only on normal difficulty.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By Bwast
    @Drebin_893 said:
    " I just rented it and finished it in 4 hours and 20 minutes.  I don't like that game. "
    So.... what you're saying is... Tim Schafer is a Nazi?
    MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MetalR
    @sammpoo said:
    " This game is not 4 hours, it's 5 hours!! Woop dee doo it's a short linear game with nothing to do after the main quest and an online multiplayer which will be dead after a month or so. Good luck and enjoy your purchase! "
    I'm not enjoying my purchase at all =D
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Snipzor
    @sammpoo said:
    I'm sorry, but why are you being such a massive asshole?
    boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50  Edited By boj4ngles

I've never really questioned a GB review until this one. 

Bought it yesterday morning, played it all day (didn't have work that day) and beat it in 8 hours 43 minutes on normal difficulty.  Just read the review.  Ryan says you can complete the campaign on normal, in four hours, without upgrades.  Did he get hit in the head and not realize that this is an exploration adventure game and the whole point is to explore the map, not just wiz through the campaign as fast as possible?  Exploration is fun in this game, as Schaffer's team made a fantastic looking world with hilariously unique scenery.

Furthermore I find it very difficult to believe that someone could beat the campaign without upgrades, and exploration.  Exploring and discovering Snake Shrines is the only way to improve your health and regeneration.  Also, upgrades are critical in this game, especially vehicle upgrades as Druid Plow starts off too with no weapons and too weak to survive late game driving missions.  Eddie's combos, and special axes/guitars can only be unlocked with upgrades too.  I don't see how you could complete it with none.  Additionally, you can't get the better guitar solos (and upgrade your beast summon solo) without considerable exploration and these are extremely important. 

It's true that Brutal Legend's gameplay is something of a jack of all trades, master of none.  That's why experienced gamers should probably play it on max difficulty. 

So in summary, this game is not designed to be played without exploration, sort of like Fallout 3 is not meant to be played without exploration.  It is good for at least 8 hours, and probably more if you up the difficulty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.